Fresh water tank, how do you fill it?

Landmark 2013, San Antonio, How do you fill the fresh water tank while boondocking , when there is no gravity-fill connection?

jimtoo

Hi Johnnie,

I moved your thread to a better area I think. Someone should be in shortly with an answer for you. I did not know there was not a gravity fill connection on the newer units.

Jim M

danemayer

Hi Johnniemost,

You turn the valve to TANK and connect the hose to your water source. When filling with city water, the water is usually pressurized because it's coming out of a water tower with gravity assist (or maybe a pump somewhere). I think you need to get the source of the water higher than the valve so there is some pressure. It would probably help if the hose wasn't lying on the ground.

MikeR

Hi Johnniemost,

You turn the valve to TANK and connect the hose to your water source. When filling with city water, the water is usually pressurized because it's coming out of a water tower with gravity assist (or maybe a pump somewhere). I think you need to get the source of the water higher than the valve so there is some pressure. It would probably help if the hose wasn't lying on the ground.

I'm looking for an answer to the OP's question also. When boondocking and there is no where to hook up a hose how do you fill the tank? On my previous unit, to fill the tank from a pressurized source, you just stuck the end of the hose in and let it fill. Since this was just an open line to the water tank, I could take my five gallon water jug, with a nozzle end, tip it and get more water into the tank. Think NASCAR style. With the Heartland water intake valve, set to tank, I don't believe I can add water NASCAR style. Any ideas how this might be accomplished?

danemayer

I'm looking for an answer to the OP's question also. When boondocking and there is no where to hook up a hose how do you fill the tank? On my previous unit, to fill the tank from a pressurized source, you just stuck the end of the hose in and let it fill. Since this was just an open line to the water tank, I could take my five gallon water jug, with a nozzle end, tip it and get more water into the tank. Think NASCAR style. With the Heartland water intake valve, set to tank, I don't believe I can add water NASCAR style. Any ideas how this might be accomplished?
MikeR,

It's still an open line to the tank; it just goes through a valve now and can accept pressurized water without breaking the tank. Have you tried it?

d_fergie

MikeR,

It's still an open line to the tank; it just goes through a valve now and can accept pressurized water without breaking the tank. Have you tried it?
Good to know as my water source is hard, and I use RO / Distilled mix in my current SOB ...

ILH

I have a 'cheater' bag that holds about 25 gallons or more. I can fill it in the back of my pickup and then use a pony pump (12v) to transfer the contents via garden hose to my RV tank.

TedS

I don't think gravity fill will work. I believe there is a check valve in the city water connection that needs a little pressure to open it to get water in. ILH's method will work.

TedS

An alternative would be to switch to winterize and draw water from a portable container. The pump will then deliver water to your fixtures as though you were winterizing your system.

danemayer

I don't think gravity fill will work. I believe there is a check valve in the city water connection that needs a little pressure to open it to get water in. ILH's method will work.
Maybe someone with a 4-way valve could try it (or has done it) and could comment.

MikeR

Maybe someone with a 4-way valve could try it (or has done it) and could comment.

Well, based on your post that I could gravity fill my tank "NASCAR" style, I fabricated a funnel from 3" PVC and reducing down to 1" with a male hose coupling to attach to my fresh water fill. It doesn't work. The check valve (actually looks like a check flap) I can open it by pushing with a screw driver. Gravity pressure won't open it. If you know anyone that would like to purchase a nicely fabricated funnel have them contact me. We won't tell them it doesn't work.

danemayer

I seem to remember a discussion last year about adding a bleach solution to the water hose and feeding the contents of the hose into the fresh tank. Now I'm wondering if that was actual experience, or speculation.

TedS

You can put bleach in the hose and then fill the freshwater tank. You need to have the other end of the hose connected to city or house water spigot to force the bleach followed by the water into the tank. Just like filling the tank with fresh water, but with a slug of bleach included.

We3Ski

Newbie here and I don't recall anyone even telling me that we should add anything to the freshwater tank. I'm guessing this is done perhaps quarterly, or is it recommended on each fill up? Oh, I have a 2011 - 34SQRL Elkridge pulled with a 2500 HD Silverado 4x4.

danemayer

Newbie here and I don't recall anyone even telling me that we should add anything to the freshwater tank. I'm guessing this is done perhaps quarterly, or is it recommended on each fill up? Oh, I have a 2011 - 34SQRL Elkridge pulled with a 2500 HD Silverado 4x4.
Hi We3Ski,

The Heartland trailer manual says to sanitize the fresh tank yearly. This is taken from the manual:

To assure complete sanitation of your potable water system, the following procedures are recommended for a new system. For one that has not been used for a period of time and for one which may have become contaminated:
1. Prepare a chlorine solution using one (1) gallon of water and one-quarter (1/4) cup of household bleach (5% sodium hypochlorite solution). With tank empty, pour one (1) gallon of solution into the tank for each fifteen (15) gallons of tank capacity.
NOTE: As an option, several commercial solutions are available and should be used as directed on the package.
2. Complete filling of tank with fresh water. Operate all faucets to release trapped air. Pressuring entire system with pump, if available, and turn off pump.
3. Allow to stand for three (3) hours.
4. Drain and flush with fresh potable water.
5. To remove excessive chlorine taste or odor which may remain, prepare a solution of one (1) quart vinegar to five (5) gallons water and pour into tank. Allow solution to agitate in tank by vehicle motion (several days, if possible).
6. Drain tank and flush with fresh potable water.

scottyb

You can put bleach in the hose and then fill the freshwater tank. You need to have the other end of the hose connected to city or house water spigot to force the bleach followed by the water into the tank. Just like filling the tank with fresh water, but with a slug of bleach included.

+1. I also tried the gravity method and it was a PITA. I use a water conditioner, bought from Amazon. My water comes from a well and is not chlorinated. Good for every day use but not for storage. The conditioner smells like it has chlorine in it. Whatever you do, don't use the winterization hose on the pump. The concetrated chlorine will eat the pump.

Mrsfish

And the ongoing question of how to put either of these solutions into the fresh water tank when you don't have a gravity fill connection. Does anyone know if a small water pump would push enough pressure to open the valves in the 4way valve?

TedS

If you have a house water supply like a hose hydrant/bib, you can use that. Load the hose with enough bleach and push it into the freshwater tank with house flow from the hydrant/hose bib and fill the tank.

The check valve takes between 1 and 5 psi to open it. Most any water pump can do that.

d_fergie

Good to know as my water source is hard, and I use RO / Distilled mix in my current SOB ...
No problem topping my new 22 FBS off after my first trip, I used the same setup I used for my old camper... it's a plastic motor oil adapter with a valve with threads that fit a quart which are same threads as bottled water, I cut a hole in the side of a 20 oz water bottle and pour into it with the other end in the water intake on the 22FBS. I usually pour from 5 gallon plastic containers into 1 gallon bleach bottle to fill, it takes awhile but works...

mobilcastle

I have a 'cheater' bag that holds about 25 gallons or more. I can fill it in the back of my pickup and then use a pony pump (12v) to transfer the contents via garden hose to my RV tank.
I have a 45 Gal bladder tank that works the same. I riged a 12V pump up to pump the water into the tank. I am going to sell the setup. If you need one PM me for info.