Ammo availability?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
So how are things in your area? Here in central Wisconsin, it seems most shelves are bare when in comes to 38, 9mm, 40 and 45 calibers. Most rifle and shotgun ammo seems OK. One pawn shop has a few boxes of 9mm at $25/box of 50. Talk about gouging.

Netem

T he only thing I'm having trouble getting is 22 long rifle. Just bought 2 boxes of 9's for 15 a box and 21 for 40's

TXTiger

I am on the road now so haven't checked in awhile. Last time I went to my local gun store in San Diego I was told that a truck arrives on Tuesday mornings with a supply of ammo. The store opens at 10 AM but the line in the parking lot to make a purchase starts at 7 AM and all ammo is gone by noon.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have to laugh at all the panic buying. The shelves have been bare for several months now with supplies just now trickling in.
I did see some ammo on the shelves at Cabalas recently.
I roll my own so there is no shortage here.

Peace
Dave

bill40

So how are things in your area? Here in central Wisconsin, it seems most shelves are bare when in comes to 38, 9mm, 40 and 45 calibers. Most rifle and shotgun ammo seems OK. One pawn shop has a few boxes of 9mm at $25/box of 50. Talk about gouging.

Ray was over the gun shop yesterday and was surprised to see the were pretty well stocked up. Just needed a box of 45 & 410 they had plenty of each. But as you stated much higher than a year ago.

porthole

Retired
22LR seems to be the gold standard now.

We are starting to see supplies roll back in, but with purchase limits and stupid prices.

I will just be holding off the range time until prices come back down.

At least the CMP has not jacked up their prices and if you don't mind waiting you can get it.
I now have enough 30-06 that soon as time permits I'll go have some fun with my M1

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
It's hit and miss here. Supplies come in and they're gone quickly. I have enough reloading supplies to get me through until the price stabilizes.

Madison got her first 22 for Christmas 2011 and I think every relative bought her a brick of shells. We have enough to get us through years of fun.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Maybe the DHS is going to ship all the ammo they gobbled up to Mexico to go with the guns they sent down there.

I stopped in the local (sort of) Bass Pro store yesterday. No 9mm, .380 , or .45. I've got all my mags loaded with Critical Defense rounds, but very little practice ammo. So dry fire practice seems to be in order. Or just practice the Biden method: fire two blasts in the air and then beg for mercy.

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Ray, I think I have a GREAT IDEA!!!!
Got-an-idea.jpg

We just might have to have a RELOADING PARTY at the Goshen Rally........Jim B probably wouldn't mind me having explosive powder and caps at the rally.

Of ALL People, I CERTAINLY wouldn't want to blow anyone up!!!!
smiley-face-grin.jpg

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Linda and I went to the Indiana Rally last weekend and we found an indoor range in Elkhart. They had (4) brands of 9mm in stock at 18+ a box. No 22LR though. Nice place, $12 per hour to shoot on the range, women shoot free on Tuesdays. Around Dayton we have a place that is starting to get back to "normal" regarding most ammo with 9mm and 22lr being the exceptions for now.

http://www.midwestgunandrange.com/

jbeletti

Ray, I think I have a GREAT IDEA!!!!
We just might have to have a RELOADING PARTY at the Goshen Rally........Jim B probably wouldn't mind me having explosive powder and caps at the rally. Of ALL People, I CERTAINLY wouldn't want to blow anyone up!!!!

Lance, bring your generator, a 250 gallon water tank and a blue tote. We'll have to put you in the "back 40" for this activity :)

DW_Gray

I visited both Cabela's in the Dallas/Fort Worth area two weeks ago. All the common handgun and 22 ammo are gone. As for the other big calibers, the shelves were stocked more than all I've seen since we left CA. None of which I needed.

Reloading Party? Sure. I can reload about 300 to 400 an hour of the .40 S&W, .357 Mag and .45 ACP. You bring the supplies, I've got Dillon Reloading Machine.

olcoon

While we were gate guarding near Pleasanton, TX this winter, my truck all by it's self pulled into a local gun shop. While talking to the owner about ammo, etc. he showed me some he has for sale, and said it is something that will be standard in the future. He said that right now it's not "law", but for this ammo he has to get photo ID, and a thumb print to sell it. It's 5.56 & comes in a 10 round "bubble pack", and is military ammo. He said it comes in a 50 cal. ammo can, and he said it also has a bar code, but all I could see was some numbers on it, like a lot number. Here are a couple of photos. He also said that reloading will become a thing of the past when all that comes to pass, as you won't be able to buy the components.
IMG_0171.jpgIMG_0172.jpg

jimtoo

olcoon,,, why the green tip on the bullet... is that so it will leave a mark when it hits something?

:)

olcoon

Not quite sure, I know different companies have different colored tips for the bullets. Since these are military ammo, I'd guess they are made by Federal. Someone more ammo savvy, or military could probably answer that one. I was kind of upset when he was telling me all this I didn't think about asking that. I'm not too happy about the way things are going these days, like most folks!

StarryNight

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
All the green tip 5.56 I have seen is penetrator ammo. Steel center rod surrounded by lead and copper. Green tip is just an indicator of type. Steel rod comes through on impact. Lead and copper flatten.

sstdusty

NC and TN both seem the same. A shop gets in ammo, limits the boxes a customer can purchase a day and it runs out quickly.

Rodbuster

I don't know what the green would be for but when I was in the Marines we used 7.62 with a painted marking in the same place. The only difference was they were orange. They were called "tracers". They would be used at night (sometimes during the day) to trace the path of the projectile. Mostly used with machine gun fire. Every 5th round was a tracer. Really neat to see at night. When I was in Viet Nam, I remember a couple of firefights that we were in, when the amount of ammo that we were putting out was so thick, that it seemed that you could walk across on the tracers.....that was not "so neat".

Miller0758

Ammo in New Jersey .... now, that's funny. I think Dick's may as well close their firearm section and just expand their fishing because there's nothing on the shelves but dust. I can't even get target loads to take my son trap shooting.