Installing a fantastic fan and vent

Carmenh

I have a Trailrunner Scout 14rb and I'm considering adding a fantastic fan and vent. First if all, is the size of the factory vent in these 14"? Not sure how to measure it. And is there any other difference between my little TT and "normal" ones that might complicate installation or make it non-standard? I want to be sure it will fit and that I'll be able to do is because I'll be ordering online and bringing it back to Canada, so returning would be a pain...

marvmarcy

I've never seen one that wasn't 14" in my 35 years of rving. It sure helps if the opening has 12v, but most newer rigs do.

Carmenh

Thanks all, it basically does seem to measure 14", I just wanted to be sure it wasn't an oddball way of measuring, like televisions for example :). And already has a cheapie fan, so wired...

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Thanks all, it basically does seem to measure 14", I just wanted to be sure it wasn't an oddball way of measuring, like televisions for example :). And already has a cheapie fan, so wired...

If you are replacing the cheapie fan with a fantastic fan, it's not too hard, really. DH did it. What took the longest was removing the caulking around the existing vent. We love ours!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carmenh

That's exactly what I'm doing. I want the additional level of safety of a thermostatically controlled fan in case the power should go out when my dogs are in the trailer but I'm not...

oldmannj

I like my fan with the rain sensor. If it senses rain closes the lid then when it dries out will come back on automatically. The remote is a nice touch as well. My fan is actually a maxx air fan I got on ebay for for $189 plus shipping. Camping world gets over $300 for the same fan. If you're interested do a search for maxxair 4500K They may still have them since it was a multi unit auction. ED.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I would go with the basic thermostat controlled fan and put the big Maxxair cover over it. That way it can stay on even if it starts raining.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Carmenh

I saw that type as well, but I was going to get one of the vent covers that can be used in any weather, so I don't need the rain sensor. But I will definitely check on ebay!

oldmannj

The basic fan with thermostat, plus cover was my plan. Why do you say max air rather than fantastic?

Pretty much the price point Was my only reasoning. My wife is pretty short and with 7' ceilings hence the remote. Not a big fan of the covers, seems as though they block air flow. Threw the one TT came with away. I will admit one down side to the maxxair....it's a bit noisier than the fantastic fan but not imho to where it is bothersome. ED.

brianharrison

I replaced the bedroom vent with the Maxxair Maxxfan Deluxe with Manual opening. I did not go with the remote model as I can easily reach the fan. It is not a powered opening but I leave it open as the deluxe model has the built in rain cover. I like the fact that when it is closed it is low profile, looks clean in my opinion,

The Maxxfan has 10 different speed settings, while my OEM Fantastic fan has 3 different settings.

The amperage usage of the Maxxfan (at 13V) is 0.2/0.3/0.4/0.6/0.8/1.1/1.5/1.9/2.4/3.2. The fantastic fan is 1.3/2.0/3.0. The different amperages are at the different speeds.

I have a bunch of pictures of my install - let me know if you me to post any.
Hope this helps,
Brian

EDIT: Just saw your last post - I find the maxxfan quieter than my fantastic fan at similar air movement; a lot quieter at the lower speeds - hence why I installed it in the bedroom; I run it at speed 2-4 while we are sleeping, it brings in a nice light breeze.

My Fantastic fan with remote, has 14 speeds and is very quite.
It has the rain sensor and I don't have the Max Air covers, with the rain sensor they're not needed.
Rain sensor works very well, takes about 6hrs to dry out before vent opens again.
I've found that if I shut the fan off, and remove the screen, I can reach the rain sensor with my finger, and I use a paper towel to wipe the moisture off and cut the time to zero.
That's for the bathroom, the kitchen needs a step ladder, so I usually skip that one.
I try to shut the fan off before the rain to avoid this.
Purchased mine on eBay for $218.00 from a place in Tennessee.
You will need to order the deep trim if you have the 5" thick ceiling, units are shipped with standard depth trim.
Hockster