Joined the MorRyde Users

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
I just installed a MorRyde pinbox on our Cyclone. I've only tested it on a 10 mile trip from the storage facility back to the house but I can tell a definite difference.
I talked to a number of people...MorRyde, Heartland, retailer about which model to get. Our 3850 has a GVWR of 18,000 and the pinbox models are listed for 14-18,000 and 18,000+. We will most always be hovering at the 18,000 number and I was concerned that I wouldn't like the lighter model because we were overworking it and I wouldn't like the heavier model because we were underworking it. Yes, I got varying answers but the majority said to go with the lighter version.
We are leaving on a 500 mile trip in a few days and can't wait to see how it performs under our "normal" loading.

ParkIt

Have been seeing a lot more of these pin boxes lately when driving anywhere on the interstate. Last year a couple that had just picked up their SOB unit had a new one in their bed, we got to talking about it since I was curious if they notice any difference. This was the third 5th wheel they owned in 15 years (on par with a Landmark), they bought the pin box before they could pick up the new unit and said it made a huge difference unloaded and loaded. The wife wanted to get a newer truck but her DH said no way - there wasn't any reason to upgrade the truck especially with a MorRyde pin box in the bed and all the other aftermarkets he'd added over the years.

Report back, I think you'll notice quite a difference.

porthole

Retired
Here is what you can do on your road test.

Look at your pin box where the white slides are. With the truck unhitched those slide will be in the center of travel.
If you see marks in the dirt that look like they are moving fore and aft a distance equal to the space between the front mounted rubber bumper and the pin box - you are moving maximum travel.

Not necessarily a big deal if you have had some quicker then normal starts and stops. But if you work the pedals fairly gingerly and you still see the marks at full travel you might want to consider the heavier durometer spring. If the spring is too light you may very well feel the pin box hitting the stops, feeling like you got a light tap on the bumper..

I have the 3010 model and changed out to the heavier spring during the 2nd season with it.
I had it done at MOR/ryde and it was done at no charge as it was still under the warranty.

In the picture below you can just see the marks I am referring too.The white discs slide fore and aft.

MorRyde_pinbox_4.jpg

The second picture shows what the springs look like. These 2 springs are from my MOR/ryde independent suspension. Same type used on the pin box.

D30_7347.JPG

Speedy

Try out the lighter plate but I'd switch since my light version moves quite a bit. On one quick stop it slide forward enough to put a nice dent in my new genset.

jbeletti

I felt something was amiss with my Mor/ryde pinbox and mentioned it to Gary Wheeler at Mor/ryde. As Duane mentioned, the travel can be seen in the dust/dirt on the plate and how the white discs move fore and aft on it. These are referred to by Mor/ryde as "witness marks".

Mor/ryde sent me the next heavier spring and me and a buddy changed it out in 20 minutes or so.

My sense of all this is that like leaf springs on a suspension, you don't want it "over-sprung". Go with what handles the load the best.

NWILSON

Thanks to all for the input and especially Duane for posting the pictures!
The way we use our toyhauler, the loading will vary from trip to trip. I'm sure that will cause differences in how the MorRyde performs but any buffering to the front and back motion will be a welcome improvement to our ride.
This week we'll have the golf cart and a 500 lb. (2 1/2HP) antique hit n miss engine onboard.

Attachments

• DSC00578.JPG
    DSC00578.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 85

porthole

Retired
Neale, my load varies from just about no extras to maxed out with full water, electric golf cart and 800 pound Harley.

NWILSON

Neale, my load varies from just about no extras to maxed out with full water, electric golf cart and 800 pound Harley.
Yes, sometimes have the Harley Ultra Classic finds it's way onboard too.
We never would have bought an RV if it weren't for the versatility of the toyhauler.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We had the Trail air on the Bighorn and now have Mor Ryde on the Landmark...so far we like the ride and performance of the Mor Ryde much better!

Rodbuster

We had the Trail air on the Bighorn and now have Mor Ryde on the Landmark...so far we like the ride and performance of the Mor Ryde much better!

Hello, I am interested in your comment.
Could you tell me the differences, or why you like the Mor Ryde "much better"?

Thank you,
Dick

kakampers

The ride feels considerably smoother. We apparently had a little chucking and did not realize it...plus, don't have to worry about the air any longer and making sure it's on the "mark"...

Theresau

Thanks.

TrailAir and Mor-Ryde are different - TrailAir alleviates up and down motion only. Mor-Ryde chucking. Reason I asked. We're still contemplating which way to go - Full TrailAir Triglide vs. Mor-Ryde with hopes that there won't be a great deal of up and down motion.

kakampers

We thought about adding triglide, but there appeared to be alot of upkeep involved with having to grease the fittings....decided against it.

The difference between the full trailair system compared to the full mor ryde we now have....well, there just is no comparison in our opinion.

porthole

Retired
Same truck - same trailer.
Originally had a MOR/ryde pin box. Bought the Trialair Triglide at the Goshen rally discount.
Used it for about 1000 miles (home from Goshen and one trip after). The put the MOR/ryde back on.

With the Tri GLide I did not like the "hammering" you could get pulling a heavy trialer.
And 6 of the 9 grease fittings were a bit tough to get to. Proper greasing was something not to be skipped on with the tri glide.

Theresau

I'm so glad you discussed the "hammering" effect. That's the reason why we will most probably go with Mor-Ryde. We'd never towed a 5th wheel without the TrailAir; however, we just towed our new BC home from the dealer with a standard pin box and it towed better than our BH had with the TrailAir TriGlide (we were anticipating a very rough ride as we were on one of MI's worst highways...). We even went over some very uneven bridges and had no problem - just a small amount of chucking. With the BH, it would throw us back against the seat when we went over rough bridges...and it was very touchy, we had to be very careful to have enough pin weight to engage the TriGlide...we would fill our front area with bottles of water, etc.

Thanks for confirming our concerns.

dalspot

We're ordering our MorRyde on Monday. I imagine with the Sundance with a GVWR of 13,965 we should be ok with the lighter version. Last weight check we were at about 12,200 with a full tank of water. Our current pinbox is rated 15,500. I'm going to give them a call before I order just to make sure. Our unit came with the Equi-Flex suspension and pulls surprisingly well. The new pinbox should make it feel like there is no trailer.

Karen

NWILSON

We're back home again from our first outing with the MorRyde pinbox. I found the "pain" of chucking very significantly reduced! So far I have no regrets on this mod.
Here's a couple pics of the "witness marks" that Jim referred to. I'm a bit puzzled as to why one side is showing more movement than the other. The DS marks are showing to be about at their limit of travel but I'll wait til I have a few more trips on it to decide if I need to change to the heavier "spring"

Attachments

• IMG_0066.jpg
    IMG_0066.jpg
    550.3 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0065.jpg
    IMG_0065.jpg
    796.2 KB · Views: 91