Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: GPS question

1. Print this Post   #1

GPS question

We just purchased the Good Sam RNVD 7725 GPS with a 7inch screen which is the same as the Rand McNally7720. All the research I did seemed like this was the best one for us. Of course now that we bought it I found a review that it took someone on a road where there was height restrictions. That person said to get the Garman Dezl. I know nothing is perfect but would like your opinions on it. The main reason we got it was because you could enter your height & length. I can still return it if needed.
    Thanks

2. Print this Post   #2

Re: GPS question

I don't normally knock products, but this one I do. I purchased one direct from RM, received it, tried it out. Even thou 7720 is supposed to have updated screen, it is still hard to see. Made a little drive, 25 miles, could not make screen select what I wanted... did screen reset to get touch points to align with where you touch it. Center of screen and a couple other spots were dead, would not work. Called customer service, walked through all the settings again. Same results. Was told to return unit for repairs. Was told to prepay shipping,, they would not pay for shipping. This was brand new unit. Finally they agreed to pay for shipping and I returned unit. Then they called and said they would be shipping unit back to me,,, wanted credit card number to charge shipping charges to.. again I declined and they said they would hold unit until I picked it up or paid shipping. I then told them to just refund money to credit card. When they did (finally) it was short all the tax amount I had paid. They would not refund taxes I paid to them. Finally said they would,, but that was 3 months ago.

So do I like the Rand McNally?? I don't think they have good customer service and the 7720 is not up to par.

Jim M
    Jim and Bette
    04 GMC CC Dually D/A, MaxBrake, Riderights
    09 Bighorn 3670RL #9E011439
    HOC #1003
    Heartland Owners Club Information
    Branson 08 site #123
    Goshen 09 Rally site #425
    Nashville 10, site #P4
    Goshen 11 Rally site #425
    Gillette 12 Rally site #48E

3. Print this Post   #3

I've heard good & bad about it, but enough bad that I'm steering clear of it. Also the limited reviews I've heard about the Garmin Dezel, I'm also steering clear of it. I've heard that it's mainly made for truckers & will route you to truck routes (routes that the truckers have to us, that we pulling an RV wouldn't have to use.) RVers I've heard using it just use it in the normal (automobile) mode & don't use the trucker mode. For the most part as long as you stay on main roads & watch the signs you should be OK.

Roy & Sally Evans
    2011 Elk Ridge 27RLSS
    2010 2500 Dodge Big Horn 6.7L Cummins
    Heartland Owners Club # 1736

4. Print this Post   #4

I've been using the Garmin Dezl 560-LMT (Lifetime free maps and Traffic) for two years and am happy with it. If you set it for your RV profile and tell it to avoid Interstates and Toll Roads, it will take you along the less-traveled and often more scenic trucking route. I am happy with it and if I had to do it over would buy it again.

I see the price has dropped down to $299 on Amazon. I also notice there is now a larger screen Dezl 750-LMT for $399.

Dan and Ann Mayer & fur baby Callie
    2011 Landmark Rushmore
    • MorRyde 8K Independent Suspension
    • 8K Kodiak Disc Brakes
    • RV Comfort Systems Cheap Heat
    • MorRyde 33x90 Sliding Cargo Tray
    • Torklift Glowstep Revolution Aluminum Steps

2014 RAM 3500 Laramie
    • Cummins 6.7 Diesel, AISIN Transmission
    • 4x4, Long box, Crew Cab, DRW 3.73
    • Hensley BD3 TrailerSaver Hitch
    • Garmin RV760 GPS

Is club membership right for you? Click here to learn more

Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

5. Print this Post   #5

Dan
    When you use the Dezl how do you make your route. Do you make it on your PC then upload it to the GPS or just do it on the GPS.

I have been using the 465t which is a trucker's version. I use it in auto mode for the same reason the truck version routes you way out of the way.

I just use ALSTAYS to view the route for low underpasses..

I have been using BaseCamp for a while now. I had been using MapSource until they stopped updating it. BaseCamp is a Database version and not real easy to use, but I am starting to get use to it..

I was intrested if anyone else uses BaseCamp. I think Garmin is running into a problem with BaseCamp because many people don't like it. This could recuce the number of GPS's that people buy even though it is probably the better GPS. Doesn't help if you can't program it.

BC
    Travel safe & may God bless
    Bob Curry & Trevor
    2016 F350 CC SRW LB 4WD * 08 Bighorn 3400RE #9948
    Mor/Ryde 7k IS, 8k DB * 17.5 Rims w/G114 GY Tires
    Bigfoot Auto Leveling
    Escapee 96030 * Fulltime since 10-08-2007
    Club Member # 1081

6. Print this Post   #6

Thanks Dan, always better to hear it first hand, rather than rely on what you've heard "through the grapevine!"

Bob, that's one thing I don't like about the Nuvi series, you can't create your own route, you have to rely on Garmin's database and they don't always route you the way I'd prefer. I've tried using Basemap a few times, and maybe it's just me, but I'm not too fond of it. Garmin really needs to step up & redo it to make it better. Not too long ago when you bought certain GPS units you'd get a CD/DVD along with the unit & you could create your own custom route & then transfer it to the GPS. It was, in my opinion, more user friendly. I suppose you could still do that on the Nuvi, by creating separate routes, but instead of having a route from point A to point B, you'd have to create routes from point a, then b, then c, etc to get the route you want to take to your destination. More of a hassle & time consuming!

Roy & Sally Evans
    2011 Elk Ridge 27RLSS
    2010 2500 Dodge Big Horn 6.7L Cummins
    Heartland Owners Club # 1736

7. Print this Post   #7

Dan
    When you use the Dezl how do you make your route. Do you make it on your PC then upload it to the GPS or just do it on the GPS.
    Bob,

I've tried a couple of different ways. The Dezl has a pretty easy internal route building function where you can build up the route from a series of POI destinations in the GPS database, or from favorites that I load using mapquest.com while the GPS is attached to the computer.

But mostly I just put in one destination at a time rather than bothering with building a route; again pulling from the POI database in the device, or from favorites that I've added. If I know I want a particular road, I'll usually pick something on that road as a destination.

The biggest problem I've run into is going from I25 North to C470 West just outside of Denver. Because the East side of 470 is a Toll Road, and I'm set to avoid Toll Roads, the GPS tries to route me up to Rte 6 in Denver. I tried building a route on Basecamp to force it onto C470 West, but the result was messy for some reason I don't recall. Since I already knew I wanted C470 West, I just took the exit and let the GPS recalculate. The only issue with that is that if the GPS isn't directing your exit, you don't get lane guidance for the exit. And I've come to like lane guidance a lot. So this summer I'll probably try adding a favorite somewhere along C470 West and setting that as a destination.

2011 Landmark Rushmore
    • 8K Kodiak Disc Brakes

2014 RAM 3500 Laramie
    • Garmin RV760 GPS

Is club membership right for you? Click here to learn more

Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

8. Print this Post   #8
    Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders TravelTiger's Avatar

We have the first RVND GPS, I cannot recall the number. So far we haven't had any major mis-guides while traveling, but in our small town we know it doesn't go the most RV friendly route. I like it better than the Garmin we had previously. One of the features I like is the "change in speed limit" alerts, and the "speed warning" when you are more than 5mph faster than the limit. Great for passing through lots of small towns on State Highways, where every town has you drop down to 30mph through the center of it.
    Erika Dorsey
    Founding
    Texas - West Chapter Leader
    Erika & Tony with two traveling cats, Mambo and Tango
    2016 Big Country 4010RD
    2010 ElkRidge 34QSRL (gone)
    2008 NorthTrail 21FBS (gone)
    2013 GMC Sierra Denali 3500 crew cab, long bed, drw, 4X4, 115gal Dually Depot Aux Tank
    B&W Companion 20K hitch, Reese 5th Airborne Pin Box, 507 TST, Torklift Glowstep Revolution
    Visit our blog at http://mammothtravels.blogspot.com/
    HOC #1733

9. Print this Post   #9

Quote Originally Posted by TravelTiger View Post
    We have the first RVND GPS, I cannot recall the number. So far we haven't had any major mis-guides while traveling, but in our small town we know it doesn't go the most RV friendly route. I like it better than the Garmin we had previously. One of the features I like is the "change in speed limit" alerts, and the "speed warning" when you are more than 5mph faster than the limit. Great for passing through lots of small towns on State Highways, where every town has you drop down to 30mph through the center of it.
    FWIW, my Garmin Nuvi 2595LM alerts me when I'm 1 mile over the limit. I like it a lot, but it is the first unit I've owned. I've always used S & T prior to getting the Nuvi. I recently started setting up my route on S & T and then exporting a .GPX file to the Nuvi. Seems to work pretty good.
    Bernie & Judi
    St. Charles, Mo.......HAVE GPS, WILL CACHE. HAVE SMARTPHONE, WILL MUNZEE.
    HEIT SAMMA LUSTIG.

2011-Branson
    2012-Pine Mountain SE Regional, Gillette National, Cody, Lake Delton, Hopkins, Lena, Hannibal
    2013-Sweetheart Rally, Aransas Pass, Elkhart, Waynesville Regional, Goshen Pre Rally, Goshen National, Lake Delton, Ishpeming, Crossville, Pine Grove, Chatham, Branson, Amana,
    2014-Shipshewana, National Pre Rally, Urbana National, Niagara Falls, Ludington, Lake Delton, Chatham, Amana,
    2015-Kinder, Santo, Durant, Mountain View, Goshen Pre Rally, Goshen National, Lake Delton, Carthage, Chatham, Shipshewanna
    2016-Branson, Glendale, Las Vegas Pre Rally, Las Vegas National
    2017-Branson, Goshen Pre Rally, Goshen National, Utica, Lake Delton, Traverse City, Amana, Shipshewana

10. Print this Post   #10

Moved this thread to the GPS sub-forum so it's with similar discussion threads.

2011 Landmark Rushmore
    • 8K Kodiak Disc Brakes

2014 RAM 3500 Laramie
    • Garmin RV760 GPS