GPS question

priorguy

How many of us really needed a GPS to put us in a Cabella's parking lot. Sounds like an excuse for the wife. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
I've noticed that it seems both the speedometers in my car and truck are off by a couple of miles per hour . . . :p

No doubt your car and truck speedos read higher then your GPS?
Most consumer grade GPS units are very accurate when it comes to speed calculations, especially on flat ground. Not so much for some of the less expensive units on steep grades (3D positioning)

A couple of weeks ago I did discover a cool feature . . . I touched the current speed icon ... showed me a stat that I should probably reset before my wife sees it . . .

It says that one day a couple of months back, my fastest speed while driving with the GPS unit on was 110 MPH . . . DOH!

"Multipath errors"

These errors, caused by the signal reflecting around will cause a max speed error.
You don't see the speed error when driving because the GPS unit is calculating the speed many times per second, but then it is averaged and then only updated about once per second.

My Garmin 478 frequently will display a max speed in excess of 300 mph. For some reason, 375 and 376 seem to be a common max speed error.

JanAndBill

Have an older Garmin Nuvi, which we still use. Not so much for navigation as to calculate arrival times. It does have the split screen for interstate intersections which is nice as it lets you know which lane to be in well before.

iaflatlander

I also don't like to bash products but...

I have a Rand M. :(

Came with lifetime maps. Just tried to update. Long story short, I ended up needing support. What a joke. My advice is to buy any product but Rand M.