bugs in the toilet !!

Bobby A

Well, try not to laugh to much while reading this so you can give me some good advise. My issue is, lately when we flush the toilet a couple nats come out, I flush the tank good every week and I use the name brand toilet chemicals. These nats must be breeding or something in the holding tank and then try to get out when the toilet is flushed. Any ideas on how to kill get rid of this problem, o.k. stop laughing now and give me some good advise please. We have been hear in Fl. for over a year now, the rig has been in use all the time and not back in the north where conditions might not be favorable for these little things to grow.

Thanks,
Bobby A

olcoon

I've got a lot of comments to make...but I won't! Unfortunately none of them would help you! Possibly spray some type of insect stuff down there? I wouldn't drop one of those bug bombs down there as it would probably clog up the drain.

Reminds me of a story my Mother used to tell. When they were kids they had a mean rooster. Whenever the girls would go to the outhouse he would somehow get into the back of it & peck them on the behind! Aren't you glad they ain't skeeters?!

Bobby A

I've got a lot of comments to make...but I won't! Unfortunately none of them would help you! Possibly spray some type of insect stuff down there? I wouldn't drop one of those bug bombs down there as it would probably clog up the drain.

Reminds me of a story my Mother used to tell. When they were kids they had a mean rooster. Whenever the girls would go to the outhouse he would somehow get into the back of it & peck them on the behind! Aren't you glad they ain't skeeters?!

Or snakes !! ever hear the skit by Bill Engvall (the comedian) on sitting on the outhouse toilet ?? its halarious !! Well, getting back to topic, I thought of some kind of bug kill but wasn't sure if it would damage the valve seals, I well wait and hopefully get some more feedback/ laughs !! I can take a joke as long as it comes with a good recomendation on what to do about my little delimma. Thanks Roy

Kbvols

I would fill the tank completely full of water and add some type of disinfectant perhaps Lysol bowl cleaner or pine sol. I know ammonia kills gnats but the fumes can be harmfull to humans also so may not be option. Now for the jokes...just kidding.

ParkIt

White Vinegar with water, fill the tank and use a full gallon of vinegar and let it sit for 12 hours (hope you have an alternate bathroom nearby). The fan will get the vinegar smell out which doesn't last long and won't hurt you but it does kill those little bugs and some bacteria that can grow over time.

Edit: add a bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide to the mix. It is not harmful to the tanks or humans, just the bugs and bacteria.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
A healthy dose of dawn dish soap, fill it up and let it sit for awhile then flush it good!
Insects hate dawn (good for washing dogs / kills and repels fleas).

guyc66

We had that same issue last year; however, the problem seems to have gone away after we started using the Geo Method. I can't say for sure this is what cured the problem and really isn't why we started treating our black water tank like this but the gnats have disappeared. It may be worth a try if the bug kill chemicals don't work out. Good luck!

Guy

ParkIt

What you are doing is changing the pH level to kill anaerobic bacteria. While bleach and water softeners work, I personally cannot stand to be around them even with an N-95 mask on. After doing a lot of research the vinegar/hydrogen peroxide or baking soda/vinegar gets to a 7.9 to 8.1+- which will kill most bacteria often found where anaerobic bacteria and fungi like to live. Bleach will do the same but with harmful fumes. Any biologic agent will clean the tanks without damage.

Yea, I'm about as easy to understand as an engineer.

kkamshop

Isn't baking soda and vinegar the combo the kids use to make a volcano? Watch out Bobby! Thar she blows!!!

ParkIt

Isn't baking soda and vinegar the combo the kids use to make a volcano? Watch out Bobby! Thar she blows!!!
Pretty much but the ratio is too broad for that to happen though you do want to hear that bubbling sound. It doesn't last very long since it breaks down quickly.
I wonder if Coke and mentos would clean just as well ;)

Lynn1130

All good advice. This was a number of years ago and with another trailer. I used insecticide, left it sitting for a couple of days then flushed several times with dawn and water.

Now to the original problem and I posted on this on a post sometime back. If you leave your dump or even dumps (including gray) open at an RV camp you run the risk of insects that have taken up living in those systems, getting to to your tanks. People leave the caps off of those when they leave. That allows all kids of critters to get into the RV parks pipes and then in to your system. Some like to leave their grays open. I think it is asking for your kind of problem and it is an ugly problem to clean up.

Hey Bobby, does it tickle when they crawl on you?;)

Here is what I found a couple years back when we got them:

[h=3]Biology of Drain Flies[/h]
Moth flies (Drain Flies) develop by complete metamorphosis. The entire life cycle ranges from 8 to 24 days.​
Moth flies (Drain Flies)lay eggs in a mass of 30 to 100 in a suitable medium. These eggs hatch in less than 48 hours. The eggs form the moth fly( drain fly) are laid in irregular masses in such places as dirty garbage disposal units, water traps in plumbing fixtures, sewage plant filters and almost any where decmposing organic materials are found.​
The larvae and pupae of the moth fly live in the thin gelatinous film found in drains, septic tank field lines or filter stones. The larvae feed on sediment, decaying vegetation and microscopic plants and animals. The larval stage lasts from 9 to 15 days before pupating.
The pupal stage lasts from 20 to 40 hours. The newly emerged adult fly is sexually mature on emergence and copulates within the first few hours of its life.​
The moth fly (drain fly) is a poor flyer and may be commonly seen walking or running on walls and other resting surfaces. When they fly in short jerky lines, they fly for only a few feet.
During the day the moth fly (drain fly) adult rests in shaded areas or on walls near plumbing fixtures or on the sides of tubs and showers. Most of the activity of the moth fly (drain fly) occurs during the evening. They may be seen hovering around the sink areas in your home at this time.

As you see they can be a nuisance. I control ours by using a product called Dijest-It Super concentrate. It works on the thin gelatinous film mentioned above. So far we haven't had any problems since. FWIW, you can spry insecticide and kill the adults, but that's a battle you won't win.

happykraut

Flush and clean as usual and then leave the valve open without a hose attached. Maybe instead of flying up through the toilet, they'll fly out the sewer opening. Hey, quit laughing, it might work. You could even hang some kind of an attractant at the opening to lure them out.

TexAndLinda

Joke First:
70-year-old George went for his annual physical. All of his tests came back with normal results. Dr. Smith said, "George, everything looks great physically. How are you doing mentally and emotionally? Are you at peace with yourself, and do you have a good relationship with your God?"

George replied, "God and me are tight. He knows I have poor eyesight, so he's fixed it so that when I get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom (poof!) the light goes on when I pee, and then (poof!) the light goes off when I'm done."

"Wow," commented Dr. Smith, "that's incredible!"

A little later in the day Dr. Smith called George's wife. "Thelma," he said, "George is just fine. Physically he's great. But, I had to call because I'm in awe of his relationship with God. Is it true that he gets up during the night and (poof!) the light goes on in the bathroom, and then (poof!) the light goes off?"

Thelma exclaimed, "That old fool! He's peeing in the refrigerator again!"

Here is a video that may help:

Bobby A

Thank you all for the real good advise and thanks for the Biology lesson Wes. I'm surprised that there wasn't to many jokes, well I guess maybe I'm not surprises, thats what makes this Heartland Forum the best one on the internet. I will try the least aggressive method and work up from there. I really do flush the tank real good every week. Thanks again all you great Heartland people, I will have this resolved BEFORE the Rally !! LOL

Safe travels,
Bobby A