Disaster in our Elkridge - water leak from cracked shower pan

sjs731

I just got the call last Friday that our new shower base is in our Sundance. Corner unit with a 4" crack at the 12:00 position.

Steve and Carrie
HOC #2252
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Ok today I decided to add some non-slip strips and was inches away from the shower floor. Here are some pics of what look like scratches. Can someone tell me if I should worry?ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369971237.917298.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1369971258.921686.jpg

sjs731

Now I wish I had taken a picture of our crack. Erika, those don't look like the one long one I had, it was more pronounced and black, maybe because it went all the way through? I hope they are only scratches.

Steve and Carrie
HOC #2252

TravelTiger

These were the only ones I could get pics of, and they all look like faint scratches to me. Don't think they are claw marks, kitties not allowed in the shower. ;)

I may ask Heartland to look at it in Goshen to be safe.

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
Those look a lot like mine but can't tell for sure. I pushed on them and they didn't open up but sure looked like cracks and we have no cata.

Sandie

Well we got ours replaced, what a disaster. $5000.00 in repair costs and $2200.00 in hotel and food costs. Was out of it for a month waiting on parts to arrive from Heartland. Shower pan and flooring. Had to completely redo the upper area. Everything seems good now, but just beware of those hairline cracks. It can cause a ton of damage.

jbeletti

Well we got ours replaced, what a disaster. $5000.00 in repair costs and $2200.00 in hotel and food costs. Was out of it for a month waiting on parts to arrive from Heartland. Shower pan and flooring. Had to completely redo the upper area. Everything seems good now, but just beware of those hairline cracks. It can cause a ton of damage.

Happy to hear you are back in the coach. Curious - was the water damage itself deemed to be an insurable claim with your insurance company?

olcoon

Erika, just saw your photos. Those are exactly like the cracks in ours! I thought we were going to get ours fixed in Goshen, but apparently somewhere along the line it was nixed so it didn't get done. I'm waiting for the new pan to arrive from Heartland so I can install it. Hopefully we won't have any water damage, or at least minimal damage!

TravelTiger

Erika, just saw your photos. Those are exactly like the cracks in ours! I thought we were going to get ours fixed in Goshen, but apparently somewhere along the line it was nixed so it didn't get done. I'm waiting for the new pan to arrive from Heartland so I can install it. Hopefully we won't have any water damage, or at least minimal damage!

Ok you'll have to post pics of yours at some point. I swear my nose was just 1-2" from the pan to see these. I can't imagine they are cracks through the pan, but if they are I would like to know how your pan replacement goes.

I did not remember to ask in Goshen. :(

wdk450

Can't you coat the pan with a rubberized paint (like roof coating), or the spray stuff they sell on TV?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Ok today I decided to add some non-slip strips and was inches away from the shower floor. Here are some pics of what look like scratches. Can someone tell me if I should worry?View attachment 24546View attachment 24547

Erika, the way those marks run closely parallel suggests scratches from some kind of metal object rather than cracks. Is there much flex of the shower floor around those spots? A possible SWAG test might be to get some modeling clay and make a small berm around the area. Fill it with water and let it stand to see if the water seeps out.

TravelTiger

Erika, the way those marks run closely parallel suggests scratches from some kind of metal object rather than cracks. Is there much flex of the shower floor around those spots? A possible SWAG test might be to get some modeling clay and make a small berm around the area. Fill it with water and let it stand to see if the water seeps out.

I'm leaning toward scratches too. Have had the shower head fall and dangle around the pan before. Also let our shampoo, body wash, etc. ride in the pan.

But if others have actual cracking, I will definitely keep an eye on it and try the dam idea.

Sandie

Can't you coat the pan with a rubberized paint (like roof coating), or the spray stuff they sell on TV?

I'm the one who started this thread and I'm wondering the same thing. We had $5,000 in damages because of this. They now sell that Flex stuff they advertise on tv in clear and white and I am so tempted to spray the pan completely with it.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Re: Disaster in our Elkridge.

There has to be space under it for the drain pipe and expansion/contraction with water temps and weight. Too much space and it will crack, too little and it will crack. It will be interesting to know what HL has to say since its a rare failure.

Our shower stall was leaking from behind the faucet . . . took two trips to the dealership to get that fixed.

Anyway, we have the same corner shower stall that is pictured in this topic thread and I also mentioned to the dealership that the shower floor was 'spongy' and tried to get Heartland to fix it under warranty.

Heartland's reply . . . "That is the way it is supposed to be!" and they refused to fix it.

Of course . . . now the warranty is expired . . . but that floor is still 'spongy'!

I've been thinking about removing the access panel on the front of the shower stall and placing a couple of 2x4 pieces in there to see if that will fix this issue.