Heat Ducts

v92c

Texan
We discovered that our heat ductwork to the rear of our camper is not putting out any air. I know we should have caught this sooner but we didnt. This is Texas and we dont use the heat much...

Unfortunatly the plenum is under the stair storage area, and it is unaccessable from the back, front or side. I have tried to remove the under stair storage, no luck.

I have the underbelly down and the tanks are exposed but it looks like it hooks up to the top of the ductwork.

I disconnected the hose from the furnace to the plenum and it has good flow, the bathroom also feeds from the plenum and has flow.

As far as I can tell by probing the plenum with a piece of wire, I cannot find an outlet hole to feed the back of the camper.

Can anyone offer any hints. I am not seeing an access to the plenum to fix it.

v92c

Texan
I got it!!!!

Someone had cut a board to fit in the ductwork and block off the rear ducts. And the board was almost in the middle. I found it with a flashlight and a cosmetic mirror (the wife caught me) but I was able to get a 3/8" steel rod to bend enough to beat the board thru on one end. That unblocked the duct and now we have heat to the rear of the camper.

What a PITA.

v92c

Texan
No it is an 06, and we have had it for 1.5 years. But we have only used the heat a few times. And never noticed that the living room was cold, and the bedroom too hot.

I am going to block off some of the airflow to the bedroom register now and force more into the rest of the vents. The bedroom still gets most of the heat.

Pulltab

v92c said:
No it is an 06, and we have had it for 1.5 years. But we have only used the heat a few times. And never noticed that the living room was cold, and the bedroom too hot.

I am going to block off some of the airflow to the bedroom register now and force more into the rest of the vents. The bedroom still gets most of the heat.

Actually my question was pertaining to it coming from the factory like that or if you bought it used. Sorry for the confusion......spend a day in my world brother :)

v92c

Texan
Oh Sorry we bought it new, and it came from the factory like that. We just never checked the airflow like we should have. But it was easier to fix it myself than deal with the dealer either way.

Pulltab

Often it is easier as you say to fix it yourself. I enjoy fixing things....although I don't want to fix TOO much. :)

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
Our 2006 3055 had problems with aie flow also.
Use a small mirror and a small flashlight to look through the pleniums. Found the plenium under the stair that goes to the furnace crushed. I used a stick to go in and force it back into place.
Also I used silver furnace tape to seal the floor to plenium joints. I removed the furnace and found the hole was cut wrong for the funace to plenium so recut the whole and sealed up the excess hole space.
After reinstalling the furnace I sealed all the unused pipe exits and tape sealed all around the floor to furnca area with siler furnace tape.
Result... a better airflow than before.
Rand

nscaler2

How?

sailorand said:
Our 2006 3055 had problems with aie flow also.
Use a small mirror and a small flashlight to look through the pleniums. Found the plenium under the stair that goes to the furnace crushed. I used a stick to go in and force it back into place.
Also I used silver furnace tape to seal the floor to plenium joints. I removed the furnace and found the hole was cut wrong for the funace to plenium so recut the whole and sealed up the excess hole space.
After reinstalling the furnace I sealed all the unused pipe exits and tape sealed all around the floor to furnca area with siler furnace tape.
Result... a better airflow than before.
Rand

Rand,
How did you access the furnace to remove it? It looks like it might be pretty tough.
Thanks!

Forrest Fetherolf

nscaler2,
My prior post.........

Attached photos are the Suburban Furnace removed during repair work after the Trail America tire (aka China Bomb) exploded and did considerable damage to my 3600RL.
I removed the furnace to replace the damaged exposed copper propane supply line.
Photo #1 shows the rectangle air supply outlet on the bottom of the furnace and 2 - 4" round outlets on each side. One round outlet cover, on the back side, opposite the return air grill and hidden from view, was found on the compartment floor. The missing cover allowed heated air to escape into the return air compartment for recycling. This caused a severe lack of air flow to the room vents. I used silver duct tape to secure the outlet covers. The connection between the furnace rectangle supply outlet and plenum was not sealed properly and was also leaking heated air into the return air compartment.

Attached Thumbnails//heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=1382&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1181181640 //heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=1383&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1181181640

To remove the furnace.........remove the outside vented access cover, remove 2 screw just inside cover securing furnace to floor, label and disconnect electrical wiring, disconnect gas line @ furnace, and pull furnace straight out. When reinstalling I added sticky back foam weather strip around furnace outlet to seal plenum connection.

Forrest

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
as the world turns

Hey Forrest and Pulltab, What in the world or poor Pulltabs world is going on. Their was a thread about a week ago that all the Forrests should be purging themselves and now Pulltab has world of his own. I want one, cause this one sucks sometimes. Bob ;) :rolleyes: :D :D

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Have spent MANY days in Pulltab's world...very interesting to say the least!!! LOL But ya gotta love him...

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
nscaler
It was not all that easy. Yougho in under the fridge to remove the heater lines, also go in behind the hot water tank,say the odd gosh darn, as there was not a lot of room, then follow what Forrest says.
Just takes a little time
good luck
Rand