Norcold LiOp Code Quick Fix

3rd trip out in 2013 Big Country 3691 and got a LiOp Code on our Norcold model 1200. Beeping and no power. Internet search and Owners Manual says "Take to Dealer".

Well, I decided to call Explorer RV Service in Canton, TX where I purchased the unit 200 miles away a month ago.

Brandon, the worlds best service tech that performed our delivery walk through, called me back with a quick fix.

Applied a tool retriever magnet to the rectangular board chip just below the red light on the temp sensor box for 30 secs. and Voila! Module resets and box is back working.

Brandon said power surges cause this module to trip. Makes sense as we had a storm come through while we were out in the boat catching fish this morning.

If you buy an RV in Canton, TX ask for Brandon. He's a good guy. And a **** good service tech.

Same thing happened to me today,,,used your suggestion and worked perfectly...you just saved me probably hundreds. Thank you for posting.

DougAndJudy

You get to the unit mentioned from outside your rig. Open the lower refrigerator cover. The unit is the black plastic box that is about 3 or 4 inches square.

Thanks to all of you for your help. I was able to identify the box, pull the cover and place my 2 lb pull magnet directly on the long thin rectangle immediately adjacent to the red light (marked switch.) Worked great and reset the red light. This is the second time in two weeks that you folks have been of great help. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

bigdob24

I just had the same thing happen. My dealer had a replacement for me and called NorCold.
He talked with a tech and they recommended the same fix with the magnet.
this module is a high temp sensor and also sniffs for ammonia in case there is a leak somewhere.
I just pulled the two 12volt wires going into the module and hooked them to a 15 amp fuse to bypass it until I got the replacement, this worked , but be sure there is not something else going on before you do this.
Now that I know the fix I will have a magnet handy if it happens again.

zman807

I have had this L1oP happen twice. The second time just yesterday. The first time went to the dealer and new "MOTHER" was ordered and installed. Trailer (400RW) at the dealer repair for 3 weeks. Was gonna take it again, but an going to try this magnet option first. How strong does the magnet have to be?

danemayer

Let me suggest some caution on this magnet "fix". If the refrigerator is designed to shut down and lock out in case of certain problems, you need to be aware that bypassing that protective feature by resetting the board could lead to serious consequences.

It's certainly possible that the circuitry is too sensitive to electrical transients and locks out when there's nothing to protect. But on the other hand, if you're repeatedly having to reset the board with a magnet, you may have a more serious problem that needs to be fixed.

If you're getting this problem and don't have an Electrical Management System/Surge Protector, this might be your early warning that you should get one.

If you do have an EMS, repeated lockouts might be due to a marginal circuit board or an intermitten refrigerator problem.

zman807

Talked with a friend of mine who do does RV repair. He knows of this "MAGNET TRICK", has used it for years, and told me to go ahead and do the magnet which I did and the red light went off and the refidge is working. He siad this switch is sensitive and that there should be a resst, but for other reasons as mentioned that is why there is not one, and they handle this problem the same way. He is going to come by and check out my unit to make sure everything is good otherwise but he also said this is one of those "EASY CASH COWS" for some dealers for the replacement of the circuit board.
Thanks to all of you for the insight

jsaturn

Talked with a friend of mine who do does RV repair. He knows of this "MAGNET TRICK", has used it for years, and told me to go ahead and do the magnet which I did and the red light went off and the refidge is working. He siad this switch is sensitive and that there should be a resst, but for other reasons as mentioned that is why there is not one, and they handle this problem the same way. He is going to come by and check out my unit to make sure everything is good otherwise but he also said this is one of those "EASY CASH COWS" for some dealers for the replacement of the circuit board.
Thanks to all of you for the insight

One addition for the mechanically inept? Be sure that when you utilize the "magnet fix", that the system is "on" and not "off". I tried the magnet fruitlessly while the system was "off" and the red warning light was not lit, and of course, the "fix" didn't work. So i got the bright idea to turn on the fridge, show the error code on the front panel, then apply the pickup magnet (I actually had one!!) to the little box with the red light, and yep- 30 seconds later, there was a "click" and the system reset itself.
After 24 hours, the fridge is making ice and the cooler section is at 44°, and this... where I am now in the Palm Springs 101° heat.

Total appreciation for this site and for this FIX, from me!!