ATF: MPG - hitch capacity

johnmichael

I'm interested in what the hitch capacity is on the back of my 2011 MPG183. I'd like to mount a cargo carrier and bike rack there ans wonder if additional support or modifications would be necessary

Thanks

kb0zke

You will get answers from 125 pounds to 250 pounds. It is really intended for just a lightweight bike, so I would think you'd be asking for trouble if you tried to go heavier.

marc515

What does the label on your hitch indicate? The label on our MPG-181 indicates 250 Lbs., but I had heard it was lowered to 125 Lbs., so I called Heartland. They indicated the capacity for my 181 was 250 Lbs. as shown on my label. However, they realized that folks have a propensity to overload, so they lowered the rating on later MPG's to 125 Lbs, which provides an extra margin of safety. Additionally, the cust serv rep indicated that while a bike rack with two bikes may weigh around 120 Lbs or so, the forces are significantly greater on the hitch with the rack bouncing as you're going down the road. We have had no problem with our bike rack and two bikes, which weighs 115 Lbs.; however, I periodically check the welds for cracks, and so far it no issues. I would say as long as you stay under 125 Lbs. and use horse sense, you will be OK.