LOOKING AT 2010 BIG COUNTRY 2950RK Any Input?

adcock

We are looking at a 2010 Big Country 2950RK 5th wheel that appears to be in great shape. We currently have an '87 Terry Manor 5th wheel and would love to have something newer and with slides. Can anyone give us any information on issues, benefits, etc. on this rig? We love the extra storage in the newer 5th wheels! Just wondering if there is anything in particular we should be on the look-out for when buying used. Thanks for the Heartland help!

jimtoo

Hi adcock,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

The Big Country is a very nice unit, well constructed like all the Heartland units. I can't think of any thing that might be a continuous or recurring problem with any of the units. It seems they all have something that happens to them, usually just minor things. The one thing I would look at is the tires. They probably need to be replaced if they have not been replaced lately.

I'm sure you will get more replies with other things also.

Enjoy the forum and hope to see you in a Big Country at a rally sometime.

Jim M

Speedy

Check the floors (mainly in the corners) of each slide. Some pre-2010 rigs had some water intrusion issues that would eventually rot the subflooring. Do a search here for Big Country slide leaks. Other than that we are very happy with ours but it's two years newer. Been full-timing in it for a year now, no major issues with it at all.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I don't have a BC, but do have a 2010. What I would look for would be the slide floor issues, as mentioned.

Also check the tires, if they are original PowerKing TowMax, they need to be replaced. These tires have a history of unexpected blowout.

Also check the springs and axles, do the springs look flat? Are the axles arched up? There were some reports that bad quality metals were used by Lippert in these areas back then, which resulted in premature failure. Some folks upgraded their axles and springs.

I seem to recall issues with wiring to the 120v plug in the mattress platform. Check for loose or rubbing wires.

And lastly, look at the front overhang of the fiver. Is it caulked well? Some reports if frame flex have lead to cracks in the fiberglass near the bedroom slide. This is an issue Heartland has stepped up to fix for some willing to take the rig to Elkhart, even after warranty.

All these items are not deal-breakers in my opinion. You will just need to be aware and consider they need to be checked or repaired, and that may need to influence your purchase price. This forum is where the owners really help each other out, and alert us of issues. The issues are not on every coach -- obviously if one doesn't have problems, they don't often post! ;)

Overall the fit and finish of our 2010 handheld up well. We are very happy with ours!

Good luck with your purchase!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adcock

Thanks to everyone for the input! We will check these things out. The quick response and kindness of the Heartland owners makes us want to become part of the "family" even if we don't end up buying this particular rig. Thanks again!

ChangingPlaces

Hi adock,
We have had our rig now for 3 years and have lived in it full time for 16 months. It is a great rig. Love the kitchen, and it has plenty of room and storage area for us. I have done a lot of mods as everyone doe's. The issues that we have had, anyone could have had on any rig. Some of the things that have gone wrong are, we have had a spring broke on the suspension, we are now in the process of beefing up all springs with an extra leaf and now going to replace the main equaflex suspension and shackels as ours are loose and are flogged out.Replaced tyres and minor things. But overall we are very happy and recommend it. Good luck Paul