I want to buy a golf cart - recommendations

FiremanBill

I want to buy a golf cart - BOUGHT ONE!

I have been wanting one for a while now but until this last trip to the Virginia rally the DW was not that keen on it. We rode our bikes until her knee started to bother her and now she is on board with the idea of getting one.

Would like a new one but can't afford that for sure so looking for a good used "Electric" cart. I know this can be like computers, TV's, cars and anything else that has more than one brand but let's hear what you think is best and why?

Thanks in advance, oh, and if anyone knows of a good deal somewhere along the east coast let me know!

Last edited:

ksmith555

We bought ours used from Minter's golf carts in Tappahannock, VA. Jim, our sales person was very friendly and I would highly recommend him/them. They offer basic electric models (used golf course models) and also have a ton of customs to oooh and ahhh over.
We opted for a 4 seater 2006 EZ Go, basic white model for about $2900...included all new batteries. My husband and son spent last spring customizing it themselves adding remote LED's underneath from eBay, stereo/speakers from Wal-Mart and even made a make shift paint booth and painted it black. We ordered wheel covers from eBay to complete their "mustang" theme and topped it off with the pony in the grill. It was fun shopping around and looking at all of the crazy customs out there, but they had a great time building this one too.

FiremanBill

That's the route I'm thinking of taking, just getting a decent used one and customizing it myself. I'll check out Minter's, not too far up the road from us.

Thanks

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I don't have one but have used them in workamping positions in the past. EZGO with 48 volts. JMHO. Check Craigslist too.

FiremanBill

Yep, been looking on CL for sure! I have ruled out Yamaha as the nearest delaer to me is down in NC. It will be between EZgo and Club Car.

Why 48 over 36? I know more power is always better and if the price difference is negligible I will get 48, but is it really worth the extra money in replacement batteries down the road?

pegmikef

I am still using my deceased mother in law's 1965 EZ-Go . . . that has to say something about the quality/reliability of EZ-Go

FiremanBill

I am still using my deceased mother in law's 1965 EZ-Go . . . that has to say something about the quality/reliability of EZ-Go

It certainly does, thanks! Now do they still make them like they used to!? lol A lot of times I wish I had something a lot older, they always seem a lot more reliable, and easier to work on too!

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I had a Yamaha golf cart for about 7 years. It was a great cart, no problems whatsoever.
The novelty wore off and I sold it about a year ago, because the reality is, outside of driving through campgrounds and looking cool, or playing golf, they just aren't very practical.
Unless your in the Palm Springs area, or similar environmet, most cities don't allow them on streets.

Many campgrounds are now requiring GC's to be licensed for the street, before it can even be driven in the CG.

In some states, (Utah, Arizona among them), an ATV or UTV is far more practical.
They can be licensed and driven almost anywhere, streets, campgrounds and off-road.

A side by side is going to be my next vehicle purchase. Much more usefull IMHO. Trace

Last edited:

FiremanBill

I had a Yamaha gas golf cart for about 7 years. It was a great cart.
The novelty wore off and I sold it about a year ago, because the reality is, outside of driving through campgrounds and looking cool, or playing golf, they just aren't very practical.
Unless your in the Palm Springs area, or similar environmet, most cities don't allow them on streets.

Many campgrounds are now requiring GC's to be licensed for the street, before it can even be driven in the CG.

I some states. Utah, Arizona (among them), an ATV or UTV is far more practical.
They can be licensed and driven almost anywhere(streets and campgrounds) and off-road. A side by side is going to be my next purchase. Way more usefull IMHO Trace

Most of my camping isn't done at campgrounds, although all of them that I have been to around here do allow them. We primarily go to Airfields and camp at the events we fly at. Some of these are quite expansive and walking or biking is very tiring. (and this spoken by a guy who ran 3 full marathons last year!)

Yep, been looking on CL for sure! I have ruled out Yamaha as the nearest delaer to me is down in NC. It will be between EZgo and Club Car.

Why 48 over 36? I know more power is always better and if the price difference is negligible I will get 48, but is it really worth the extra money in replacement batteries down the road?

Replacement batteries will cost nearly the same for 6 6-volt batteries or 4 12-volt ones for a golf cart. It really depends on your usage, but if you get the 48 volt cart you won't be sorry! The price here in FL is nearly the same as well for the cart.

porthole

Retired
Bill - do your homework. I bought mine with minimal knowledge beforehand and thought I was getting a good deal

My 2002 EZ-GO with 1 year old batteries turned out to be a 1998 with 6 year old batteries (still using them BTW, 3 years later)
Cart has a serial number (right side glove box for EZ-GO) and batteries are date coded with a brand.

Gas or electric? Many campgrounds do not allow gas carts. Besides, they stink and are noisy.
Some campgrounds will not allow any non licensed cart. Some that do not allow carts make exceptions if one of the campers has a handicap placard.
Cape Hatteras campground actually gives a special no charge permit for handicap carts.

Buggies Gone Wild.com (BGW) is your friend.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/electric-ezgo/

Some thoughts; Northern carts tend to have less ground time then southern carts.
Frame needs to be looked at closely for rust, especially the battery rack

PDS or Series? Don't know what it means? BGW. Personally I liked the series carts better, easier to upgrade, modify if you so desire.
Custom cart shops might actually be a good deal if you find one that has been upgraded.

36 of 48? semantics. A lot depends on the the battery type and capacity. Given identical Trojan T-105 batteries a 48 will have more torque - maybe. Your 48 could be 4-12 volt batteries, 6-8 volts or 8-6 volts, same torque, longer run time with the 8-6 volt batteries.

Batteries are expensive, 100-150 each +
Battery chargers are expensive, 250-400
Electric carts use an electronic controller for speed control, burn one out and that is expensive, 450 for a cheesy factory or about 400 for a superior upgrade.

I have had some fun with "Deb's cart" did a lot of mods to it so far, but nothing like you will find on that BGW site.

You can - add batteries to a 36v cart, either make it 42 or 48 volts with no other changes besides a new battery charger. That will give a 36V cart a significant jump in torque and run time.

If you find a two seater you can easily add a rear seat. I opted for a fold down version. That way it is a people mover when up and a dog mover when down. The flat load spacy would be perfect for model RC's

Better controller
Bigger tires, lift kit custom wheels
Replace mechanical forward - reverse switch (hard to operate) to electric dash control ($$$ solenoids)
Lights, head and tail
Custom dashboards, steering wheels, stereos
Bigger-stronger motor
Battery cable upgrades
Disc brakes, 2 or 4 wheel, mechanical or hydraulic (4 wheel hydraulic disc = $750)
Voltage converter, 36 or 48 volts stepped down to 12 for accessories.
and on and on and on........................

To bad we didn't get to go to the VA rally, you could have given Deb's cart a go around.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elec...id-you-do-your-ezgo-today-126.html#post726774
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elec...id-you-do-your-ezgo-today-128.html#post741160

Hey JimB - whatever happened to that Golf cart section we talked about?

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Keep looking a be patient. We just sold our 2002 EZ Go for $800. It needs new batteries but other than that in very good shape. And of course it was deck out in UT colors (orange and white).

beasleyrl

I was going to respond in more detail but I think Porthole said it all. I would highly encourage a 48 volt (I've had both) and in the mountains of VA with 2 adults/2 kids, I can tell you the 48 runs much better. My current GC is a 2006 Club Car Precedent. Prior was an older Yamaha. Duane mentioned frame and rust. The CC Precedent has an aluminum frame so no worries on that issue if you go that route.

Minters was also mentioned in the post. Been there several times. Nice carts but in my opinion, way over priced. Be careful... We bought ours on ebay. No regrets with that.

Good luck!

FiremanBill

Keep looking a be patient. We just sold our 2002 EZ Go for $800. It needs new batteries but other than that in very good shape. And of course it was deck out in UT colors (orange and white).

Aww man! Being from Knoxville that would have been PERFECT for us!

Thanks for all the replies. A lot to think about for sure but all the info really helps.

fast900

I have played around with these for years. My personal experience is that club car is the way to go. EZ go has a steel frame and are prone to rust. I have seen more than one break in half at the floorboard area. Club car has an aluminum frame and doesn't rust. If you want proof just look at the battery "cage". Ez go will be rusted out and club car will be in much better shape. With 48 OR 36 volt you are looking at a difference in torque. Thats really about it.

FiremanBill

I have played around with these for years. My personal experience is that club car is the way to go. EZ go has a steel frame and are prone to rust. I have seen more than one break in half at the floorboard area. Club car has an aluminum frame and doesn't rust. If you want proof just look at the battery "cage". Ez go will be rusted out and club car will be in much better shape. With 48 OR 36 volt you are looking at a difference in torque. Thats really about it.

Cool, I have heard this from more than one person. One of the local dealers here that sells carts, and parts, for both brands says the EZgo parts are cheaper and easier to get, the club car parts are more expensive but they are more reliable and the aluminum frame is a big plus.

will probably boil down to what I can find the cheapest and in best shape... lol

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
A couple more things that can come into play are:
--If a "lift kit" and/or oversize wheels and tires have been installed you'll need to confirm clearance when loading, especially if you have bunks in your garage.
--I have seen footboard arrangements (when rear seats are installed) that will drag when starting up the ramp. This is more prone to occur when the rig is parked on an uphill grade making for a steep ramp angle.

Though the aluminum frame doesn't "rust" it is subject to corrosion from the chemicals used on a golf course. It's still a good idea to take a thorough look underneath the Club Cars.

FiremanBill

I do have the Happi Jack bunks in mine so not really looking for a lifted cart for that reason. Just a simple 'ol cart to putz around in is all I am looking for.

good input though, especially about the back footrest and ramp angles.