Fuel Tank

Owenfamily

Hello Everyone,

I want to get a bigger fuel tank. I am getting tired of having to stop when I go somewhere new or when I can't even make it to Houston from Dallas on a full tank. I'm leaning on getting a bigger OEM for under the truck but wanted to see and ask how many of you have the ones that go in the back on the truck. I really don't want to give up my bed or tool box. I know they make some that have a tool box as well. Does anyone on here have one that they upgraded from the small stock tank to a bigger one under the truck? Does it work well for you? I also don't drive the truck that much does to driving my company truck all week.

Thank you,
David

tmcran

Hello Everyone,

I want to get a bigger fuel tank. I am getting tired of having to stop when I go somewhere new or when I can't even make it to Houston from Dallas on a full tank. I'm leaning on getting a bigger OEM for under the truck but wanted to see and ask how many of you have the ones that go in the back on the truck. I really don't want to give up my bed or tool box. I know they make some that have a tool box as well. Does anyone on here have one that they upgraded from the small stock tank to a bigger one under the truck? Does it work well for you? I also don't drive the truck that much does to driving my company truck all week.

Thank you,
David

I have the 52 gal Titian that replaces the OEM tank. I need the bed space so under the truck works great. Have had it for 6 years no problems.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Like you, I didn't want to give up space in the bed. So I replaced the 34 gallon OEM tank with a 56 gallon inline Transfer-Flow tank.

ramdually4100king

I have the Zylstra Fuel Box http://www.thefuelbox.com/ in mine. It holds 40 gal of fuel and has a toolbox. It is angled near the bed so my 20k Reese sliding hitch clears without a problem. the image below shows the fuel box Reese hitch (in the rails) and my old 16k husky all fitting in the bed and I can close the tailgate.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371012041.732267.jpg

porthole

Retired
In frame Titan 65 gallon for my F-350. That gives me a good 550 miles towing.
But I am seriously considering adding a 47 gallon tank under my tool box. AFter 40,000 miles I have decided I'd much rather have the capacity then the lost bed space. And I would have liked to have it yesterday. Besides, every truck I had before this one was a short bed, and that always worked well.

Lynn1130

As you can see from my signature I have the 52 gal Titan and I love it. I get about 450 between fuelings with the trailer on and about 1100 without the trailer. Now as someone once said, if I could just get my bladder to go that far between fueling. I did not want to lose the space in the bed of the truck as I sometimes load a quad or a large RC airplane in the back. The 26 gal tank that was stock was a major pain when traveling and I will never be sorry that I went with the larger tank.

I made a trip to Kansas to turkey hunt this Spring and the next fuel stop was Hooker, OK (best fuel price). A total of just over 800 miles. The tank gives me those type of options.

travis_g

Around the North Dallas area (Frisco) anyone know where I might get a Titan installed on a F350?

marvmarcy

My 2002 F550 had a Transfer-flo set up with an in-frame tank, so I didn't loose storage space. The truck and trailer weighed over 30,000#, so it gulped fuel. I would have been very unhappy without the large second tank. My current truck has two 150 gal tanks and gets 9.5 mpg. I love having a 2,000+ miles range.

pegmikef

As you can see I had a fifty gallon transfer flo installed in place of the OEM 26 gallon tank in my F250 and it worked great. Just had to have the computer updated so that it knew the capacity was fifty gallons. I just moved up to an an F350 dually long bed and in this one I had them install the fifty gallon auxilliary tank/toolbox combo since there is more room in the bed. I can't tell you how well it works yet because I just had it done. This one transfers automatically and provides a read out that gives you the number of gallons in the main and auxillary tank at any given time. I can tell you this . . . the inbed toolbox/tank combo cost just about twice as much as the OEM replacement tank. My local Ford Dealer also owns a glass/accessory/body shop and I had them do the work on both trucks. Neither installation affected the warranty.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Hey Mike.... You need to update your signature with that "NEW" truck! Pictures to prove it! lol
Congrats!

CeeCee

I have a 2012 Ford F250 & it sure is a pain with the small gas tank. Does anyone know what would the cost be to change the gas tank (under the truck) to a bigger tank & how big of a job is it?? Also would it void my warranty?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
To have the 56 gal. tank installed on my truck was about $1500. I went to a local authorized installer, told them what I wanted, and they did the rest, including ordering the tank from the manufacturer. The DIC on my truck can't be updated for the larger capacity, but the fuel gage reads it accurately, so no biggie. Simple enough to reset the fuel used reading and the mpg reading to figure out my range without taking off my shoes to cipher it.

pegmikef

I have a 2012 Ford F250 & it sure is a pain with the small gas tank. Does anyone know what would the cost be to change the gas tank (under the truck) to a bigger tank & how big of a job is it?? Also would it void my warranty?

My dealer charged me just under twelve hundred dollars to replace the OEM 26 gallon tank with the transfer flo 50 gallon tank. Of that, I think the tank itself was around 800 and shipping was around 100 dollars. I intentionally had it done by them so it wouldn't affect the warranty (they assured me that it would not) and so that I would have recourse if something didn't work or any other problem. I have read in other threads on this forum that some folks have done it themselves. Note that I used Transferflo over Titan because that is the one my dealer uses. My understanding is one is as good as the other.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Don't walk, run and get this done! We added a 115 gal in bed, because it was too good a deal to pass up. We just drove from Dallas TX to Pigeon Forge TN (860 miles) without having to add fuel. We would have made 4-5 fuel stops, otherwise. Yes, we still stop for restroom break and to check tires, etc. but no more searching for the next truck stop!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mobilcastle

Don't walk, run and get this done! We added a 115 gal in bed, because it was too good a deal to pass up. We just drove from Dallas TX to Pigeon Forge TN (860 miles) without having to add fuel. We would have made 4-5 fuel stops, otherwise. Yes, we still stop for restroom break and to check tires, etc. but no more searching for the next truck stop!!

Where was the deal? Do you use a gravity feed or do you pump it in from the bed tank?

TravelTiger

Where was the deal? Do you use a gravity feed or do you pump it in from the bed tank?

We were able to get a used tank from Dually Depot in Elkhart. $800 installed. It uses a switch in cab, to pump (through a filter) into the fuel neck. All parts were new except the tank itself, which was less than 3 years old.

Only drawback, it's BIG! Obscures the view of the hitch, making hitching a little more challenging.

TravelTiger

As far as Transfer Flow installs, we got a quote from this guy a few years ago:

Jon Wickham & Associates
2056 Interstate 45
WilmerTX75172
972-225-9119

He was at the Dallas RV show, took our VIN and then sent an estimate a few days later with different tank options. I know it was over $900 back then.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
I lived (1991-2009) about 1 mile from TITAN (Idaho Falls Idaho) and know the owners so my tank was nearly free and all they wanted me to do was advertise and they are great. 90 gallon tank was less than $200 and installation was free....well I had to cook T-bones but that was a deal.......................nice to know someone once in a while!!!!!!!

CeeCee

Thanks for all the info.- prices - etc. I don't know why they just don't put larger gas tanks on them as a standard option. You would think most people buy these big trucks for towing & therefore would like a bigger tank. It's a pain trying to find a gas station sometimes that you can fit into. We will definitely be getting a larger tank. That's a no brainer for sure!!

ncc1701e

I'm on my second Titan fuel tank. The first tank failed internally. Titan replaced the tank under warranty and paid my local Ford Dealer to change out the tank. If you want to believe Titan, mine was the only failure they'd ever had of this nature. The tank was 8 months old when it failed. With all that said, I love the tank the 50 gallons certainly is much better than the stock 26 gal tank that Ford installs. I had my local Ford Dealer install the original tank, it took several conversations to get the dealer comfortable with doing this. It was something they had not done for a customer before.

My truck is a 2012 F250 Crew Cab. The only issue I have at all with the tank is it extends about 6 inches below the frame. Titan said is would only be 2 inches. If I did any off road or used the truck for something other than towing the trailer I'd be really concerned with this tank. My truck came with 20" tires so other than being able to see the tank clearance is not that big of an issue. I did buy and would highly recommend the Titan Tank Shield. At least with the shield in place, there is a little more protection for the tank from road debris especially with the way it hangs down.

If you have a good place to work it really would not be hard to do the changeover yourself. Having Ford do it had several advantages least of which was I didn't have to fight the darn tank in and out of the truck. They have very nice racks to raise the truck and even empty the Titan tank is pretty good size to handle. Took the garage about 3-1/2 hours to change out the first tank. They reprogrammed my computer according to the instructions from Titan and the DTE works just fine.

Good Luck

Tom

OH Cost, well 4 hours of shop time and whatever you can get the tank for. $1,200 for the first tank. Good/Bad I don't know. But is what I paid.