Common RV / Online Abbreviations

jbeletti

A new forum user mistook a recent use in the forum of the abbreviation SOB to mean something other than the intended meaning of "Some Other Brand".

He suggested we create some sort of a table of common abbreviations. Thinking about abbreviations that are RV and Online related, below is my first pass:

5er = Fifth Wheel Trailer
AFAIK = As Far As I Know
BIL = Brother In Law
BTW = By The Way
CG = Campground
DH = Dear Husband
DIL = Daughter In Law
DW = Dear Wife
FIL = Father In Law
FWIW = For What It’s Worth
IIRC = If I Remember Correctly
IMHO = In My Humble Opinion
IMO = = In My Opinion
LOL = Laughing Out Loud
MIL = Mother In Law
OP = Original Post or Original Poster
PM = Private Message
ROTFL = Rolling On The Floor Laughing
ROTFLMAO = Rolling On The Floor Laughing My *** Off
SIL = Sister In Law / Son In Law
SOB = Some Other Brand
TH = Toy Hauler Trailer
TOB = That Other Brand(s)
TT = Travel Trailer
YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary

Last edited:

sjrellis

Good post. I have tripped on a lot of these in the past!

I'll add...

IIRC = if I remember correctly
BTW = by the way

Admin: Thanks! Added. Jim

Forrest Fetherolf

Jim Beletti said:
A new forum user mistook a recent use in the forum of the abbreviation SOB to mean something other than the intended meaning of "Some Other Brand".

He suggested we create some sort of a table of common abbreviations. Thinking about abbreviations that are RV and Online related, below is my first pass:

5er = Fifth Wheel Trailer
AFAIK = As Far As I Know
BTW = By The Way
CG = Campground
FWIW = For What It’s Worth
IIRC = If I Remember Correctly
IMHO = In My Humble Opinion
IMO = = In My Opinion
LOL = Laughing Out Loud
OP = Original Post or Original Poster
PM = Private Message
ROTFL = Rolling On The Floor Laughing
ROTFLMAO = Rolling On The Floor Laughing My *** Off
SOB = Some Other Brand
TH = Toy Hauler Trailer
TT = Travel Trailer

Jim B.

Did you say something not nice and censor yourself...............I see you modified your post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek:

Forrest

jbeletti

God one Forrest. Actually, I toed the line to my own rule and decided to use the asterisks instead.

Something I learned this week from a forum member is the active watch dog changes some words to **** in PMs too. So if you're a cussing at each other in PMs, you just may get auto-starred out by "the machine". :)

Jim

snuffy

Instead of SOB's like the nuways like to use, I prefer TOB--those other brands. Sounds a little classier.

cmart

And I was thinking DW was dang wife, are you sure its dear wife?????? Apparently these weren't created while someone was backing up.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Jim, now you know that no one on this forum uses bad words. Why would you need to have a machine that makes little***** to stop it?? Im really surprised. The last time I cussed at Pulltab in a PM, he just covered his eyes. Any way thanks for the new section on the forum. Oh yes I have a "darling" wife who stands behind the coach, out of eye site, to direct me in backing up endevors. I guess Im not the only one that cant see through the coach while backing up. Can you buy Superman Glasses any where? DH Bob You sure the "D" is Dear??

Forrest Fetherolf

I have studied Jim B. abbreviations and tried to memorize as many as I could, I got confused and couldn't remember where to put the H2o and the K9P, should I put them in the FW tank, the GW tank or the BW tank or what? Karen did complain about the coffee tasting different lately.:eek: :eek:

Forrest

TimDyck

I have worked with heavy equipment all my life and when I get someone new as a spotter (the person on the ground directing) I tell them there are 2 sides to heavy equipment...the operators side and the suicide. Gets the point across and maybe that's what needs to be said to those spotters who stand were you cannot see them.
Rule of thumb...if the spotter can see the driver in his/her mirror then he/she can see the spotter and signals must be clear and understood by both parties.
Second rule of thumb...if the drive cannot see the spotter then he/she will not know when the spotter has been run over and will not stop until both the trailer and the tow vehical have went over the spotter (why stop at one set of axels when you can use them all).

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
It is amazing how this thread went from a review of the acronyms we use on the forum and around the camp fire to all of us highly skilled vehicle operators who still need our DW backing us up. Then to have the nerve to insinuate that they are never where you want them. How dear we complaint about the mothers of our children, preparers of our meals, listeners to our gripes, laundry doer's, co-pilots (still have figured that one out) and BFF! (Best friends forever). My DW is the best she is never wrong, always pretty and never late for dinner. So lets stay on the subject here fellow DH. (Designated hitter). LOL

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
How about some definitions or clarifications on other terms that are being used such as coach or basement? They may be obvious to everyone that has been around rvs for awhile but may be confusing for the newer owners.

Willym

In a few more seconds full words can be typed out. This saves any confusion, but it may require some users to hone their spelling skills! Perhaps we are just getting to be lazy ****ers? (you can insert whatever verb root matches your sensibilities!)

Rottiesmom

New York Chapter Leader - retired
It is amazing how this thread went from a review of the acronyms we use on the forum and around the camp fire to all of us highly skilled vehicle operators who still need our DW backing us up. Then to have the nerve to insinuate that they are never where you want them. How dear we complaint about the mothers of our children, preparers of our meals, listeners to our gripes, laundry doer's, co-pilots (still have figured that one out) and BFF! (Best friends forever). My DW is the best she is never wrong, always pretty and never late for dinner. So lets stay on the subject here fellow DH. (Designated hitter). LOL

Gee I hear a different version when I'm backing you up LOL! We girls know it's tough for you men to follow directions LOL! But that's ok I wouldn't have it any other way!!

Wolfpackers

At first I thought it was a German version of a cuss word, but later found out that DAMHIKT stood for "Don't Ask Me How I Know That"..

Bobby A

How did I miss this Thread !! Its been going on since November of 2007 ??? All this time I thought DW & DH stood for something else, I got the wife and husband right, but was useing the D as something else. LOL

traveler44

I have worked with heavy equipment all my life and when I get someone new as a spotter (the person on the ground directing) I tell them there are 2 sides to heavy equipment...the operators side and the suicide. Gets the point across and maybe that's what needs to be said to those spotters who stand were you cannot see them.
Rule of thumb...if the spotter can see the driver in his/her mirror then he/she can see the spotter and signals must be clear and understood by both parties.
Second rule of thumb...if the drive cannot see the spotter then he/she will not know when the spotter has been run over and will not stop until both the trailer and the tow vehical have went over the spotter (why stop at one set of axels when you can use them all).
Very good advice. It always worries me when I can't see where she is running around back there. I will tell her-- Just like it says on the back of the big rigs-- if you can't see my mirrors, then I can't see you. They used to call us swampers when we spotted for heavy equiptment. I remember having to trust the operator a few times when I had to work where he couldn't see me but he always knew where I was at and never moved until I was back in sight.