Difference - Full Profile vs. Mid Profile Fifth Wheels

EandJ

Not sure which forum to put in, so stuck this here.

What exactly are the differences, size? construction? weight? amenities?

I'm assuming that Heartland's Luxury fifth wheels are all full-profile - correct?

So what is it that makes a Sundance, Greystone, the XLT versions, differenet (lesser?) than Big Country, Elkridge, Big Horn, etc?

dbbls59

Many Mid-profile 5ers have limited head room in the bed room, especially toward the front of the trailer. Full profile means there is over 6 feet of ceiling height in the bed room on both sides of the bed.

EandJ

On thing is the size of the frame and the height of the unit.

Are we talking 10" steel frame for the mid-profiles and 12" for the full? Something like this?

This would definately account for some of the weight difference.

EandJ

OK - that's a term I'm not totally familiar with as I come from the travel trailer side.

Give me a "For Dummies" version of what a drop frame is.

Eddhuy

When referring to a profile, it is exactly what you might expect, what it looks like from the side, same as a profile picture of someone. A full profile is taller than a mid profile. Frame size 10" vs 12" is dependent on the length of the FW. Also you will generally see 4 steps on entrance to 12" frames vs 3 steps on entrance to 10" frames due to height differences.

Eddhuy

My limited knowledge of what a drop frame is. Look at pictures of the Landmark, Big Horn or Big Country, forward of the door the siding goes down a little further. The frame of the FW is lower, usually by the height of the frame, giving more space under the floor/more head room in the FW from that point forward. Not sure if there are other advantages.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Are we talking 10" steel frame for the mid-profiles and 12" for the full? Something like this?

This would definately account for some of the weight difference.

Yes that is one of them. The inside ceiling height is higher in the full also.

JanAndBill

Full profile both my wife and I can walk upright in all living areas. Mid Profile my wife can walk upright, and i walk bent over. Low profile, I crawl she walks bent over.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Just to clarify, ElkRidge is considered a full profile, but does not have a drop frame. I don't think the drop frame = full profile. In our case at the closet door the ceiling height is about 6', but with the wooden header for the doors, it's about 5'6". How do I know? I'm 5'8" and sometimes bump my head, leaning into the closet. :-/

Also, ours is the 10" frame and three-step entry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Kbvols

EandJ
the difference is normally in 2 places the slides and the bedroom. Most of the full profiles have 6ft 4in bedrooms where the mid profiles have peaks up to 6ft 4in then taper down to the front of the coach. While I am not 6ft 4 I don't have to bend over to move about the bedroom but then again I am usually horizontal the majority of time in bedroom just sayin.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Frame size is determined by the GVWR. 14k=10", 16k=12".
The drop frame gives you more basement storage height.

Peace
Dave

EandJ

Good info. Thanks everyone. Being 6' 4" myself, I was wondering if a mid-profile would give issues if I decide to go that route. (Although if I'm not watching, I bang my head on the door frame of the TT now, and the top of the slideouts).

So does a drop frame actually appear closer to the ground? Is that where the additional basement storage height is added?

Obviously, I when the time gets closer, I will go and actually walk around in the models we are interested in. But I didn't know the terminology and thought I would ask here. I've found even with my lack of knowledge, a lot of the time I know more than the salesmen who were pushing used cars the previous week.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
At 6'4" ya better stay with a full profile. When we looked at Montana's I could not get to the closet without hitting my head.

TexAndLinda

Full profile both my wife and I can walk upright in all living areas. Mid Profile my wife can walk upright, and i walk bent over. Low profile, I crawl she walks bent over.

I was reading this to my wife and she said you are mistaken, it should read,
"Full profile both my wife and I can walk upright in all living areas. Mid Profile my wife can walk upright, and I walk bent over. Low profile, I crawl she says that's your hunting cabin, she has no use for it!"

dcwettstein

A drop is sometimes called a Z frame. It gives you more room in the Basement which was important to us. You can purchase a full profile without the drop fraim. What they do on a drop frame it cut the frame a few feet in front of the wheels and then an identical piece of frame material is welded to the bottom of the back frame. This gives you a basement either 10 or 12 inches taller depending on the frame size of the unit you are looking at. I hope this makes it clearer.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
esu2uryr.jpg
6e5e5y2a.jpg
u5y5yrum.jpg

Here's Heartland's classifications. Look closely at the front landing gear. Notice Landmark, Big Country and Bighorn look "squatty" at their landing gear. That's the difference the drop frame has on appearance. Note Gateway and lower do not have drop frames.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

caissiel

Also the lowered front is great for fuel mileage. Similar to the Nascar application.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk