Are the A/C vents for looks?

Georgia_Biker

We have recently purchased a NEW Big Horn BH3610RE. We have been out twice on camping trips and as you all know when you start doing this it is a learning expierence! That's part of the fun. The second time out the awning motor went out - still waiting on replacement. Yesterday it got above 90 here in Georgia and I cranked up the generator and turned on the main A/C to prepare for loading for our upcoming trip. After a couple hours I noticed it was not cooling that well - this was really the first test. There is a blower on the main unit and it was blowing cool air. There are also 6 other vents in the ceiling of the living room area. I got a stool and got close to these vents - a couple were putting out barely a whisper of air and the others were doing nothing. I twisted them around with no results. Help me out here - are these just for looks or is air supposed to be blowing out of them? I am very disappointed with the cooling system. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If the vents on the AC unit are open you will get very little air through the system ducts. These vents should be closed for normal use.
One thing worth mentioning here, is if you are in Georgia, one AC may not give you the cooling capacity you expect.
I live in WI and have two for cooling on hot, sunny humid days.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

danemayer

Hi Georgia_Biker,

In hot weather, especially when there's direct sun on the rig, and high humidity, it can take a long time to cool down. And one A/C unit with a trailer the size of a 3610RE is going to have a very hard time keeping up with the high temps. You need the optional front A/C unit helping.

We have an owner-written Heating and Cooling Guide that has tips you may find helpful.

Georgia_Biker

Thanks for the cooling guide tip! I talked with a Big Country owner and he told me on the large main unit there is a manual slide you can move sending air out of the one large main outlet but when you slide it the other way it blocks off the main one and send air through all of the vents including the forward bedroom - he was right! He said the other A/C in the bedroom can be used as an auxiliary unit to help cool the bedroom if needed. Yes it does get hot down here in Georgia so we'll see how the Big Horn makes out through late July and August.

Westwind

Should you decide you need a second AC you should look into this brand, http://www.rvcomfort.com/rvp/products/rooftop/ , I have a Dometic Penquin low profile 13.5K and because it's installed in the bedroom vent and direct vents into the bedroom we find it very noisy. I've read reports and postings that Airxcel models, Mach 8 model that has been used in Europe on RV is quieter then anything we have had in the US. I'd say do some research it will be worth it.

ParkIt

Thanks for the cooling guide tip! I talked with a Big Country owner and he told me on the large main unit there is a manual slide you can move sending air out of the one large main outlet but when you slide it the other way it blocks off the main one and send air through all of the vents including the forward bedroom - he was right! He said the other A/C in the bedroom can be used as an auxiliary unit to help cool the bedroom if needed. Yes it does get hot down here in Georgia so we'll see how the Big Horn makes out through late July and August.
Haven't found a manual slide like you described, had to use the block off method.
We are getting triple digits as well up here, bit concerned since the unit is at the shop closed up ready to roll on Monday. It's supposed to hit round 109 that day, not sure if we even want to move it unless its early morning or evening.

One thing I kept from the house was a portable 12,000 btu with a dehumidifier (floor model). It vents out the w/d vent in the bathroom area so it keeps the bedroom cool, eventually I'll get a 2nd unit installed in the bedroom ceiling where the 12v fan is. Even then I plan to keep it since it helps take the load off the main AC unit running a 30 amp cord through the window to the outside post, don't want to overload the coach.

Last edited:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

Strange it wasn't shown to you during a walkthough

Theresau

Agree. The big vent on the AC is meant to do a quick cool - and it does. If it's VERY hot, this will keep the rear area cool but the bedroom will get pretty warm if there is no AC there. (Should have ordered bedroom AC as it is now fully vented and will cool the rear as well...this is new...). I don't know if this can be done now - good to ask the factory - 2014 BH's are standardly prepped for bedroom AC - need to determine if this includes ducting...

Strange it wasn't shown to you during a walkthough