Short Bed question

txdds

RAM 2500 Longhorn Crew short bed....seems about 50/50 to get slider hitch or fixed hitch based on the forum members. DH wanted me to ask....if we get a slider hitch for the short bed will other trucks be able to pull our 5ther. And can we pull other 5th wheels that are not on a slider system? Is there anything specific to the pin or hitch that wouldn't allow others to tow our trailer? Thanks for the help.

Sumo

I think the slider is just a special hitch. You can pull any other 5th wheel, and someone else can pull your without any special equipment. So no specific pin or hitch. My neighbor has one for his ford pick-up with a 5 1/2 ft bed. If you get a slider make sure that it articulate both side to side and from to back. The neighbor only articulates front to back. He must be level to un-hook or hook up. which is a real pain.
I have a Chevy with a 6ft bed, fixed hitch, no problem pulling or backing.

szewczyk_john

I have a Dodge Megacab with a shorter box on it. I have a slider hitch and I have used it twice. I am not even sure that I need it with Heartland's front cap design, but I would rather use when in a tight situation just so that I do not get any damage to truck or front cap. As Sumo said any hitch can pull any fifth wheel trailer.

Miller0758

I have a Dodge Megacab with a shorter box on it. I have a slider hitch and I have used it twice. I am not even sure that I need it with Heartland's front cap design, but I would rather use when in a tight situation just so that I do not get any damage to truck or front cap. As Sumo said any hitch can pull any fifth wheel trailer.
I'm with John ... I'd rather have and not need than ... well, you know the rest. In the beginning I didn't use the slider at all but in recent trips I found it's much easier with the slider ... one last thing you need to worry about while in an already stressful situation ... getting in the site (or driveway).

jnbhobe

It depends on what hitch you have, If you have a Pull-rite super-glide you have to remove the adapter plate to pull it with a differenr truck

mzcummins

Slider is not needed with short bed and 88* cap, we pondered this for months waiting for our new 3400qb to be built, we were worried about the 3" shorter dodge box but with lots of reading on here and other forums we went with a standard hitch and glad we did cause it was half the price, I see no need for a slider cause we can get almost 90*.
It depends on what hitch you have, If you have a Pull-rite super-glide you have to remove the adapter plate to pull it with a differenr truck

Also the super glide needs the adapter plate to work so you can't pull another trailer with that hitch.

Sent using Tapatalk2

taken

Agreed. It depends on the trailer more than the truck. We have a short bed and our trailer's cap allows 88 degrees. I've never come close to needing 90 in any situation so no slider for us.

Lynn1130

I don't have a slider and have never had a need for one. I back into a 90 degree storage space and have never had a problem with the 88 degree cap and my SWB Chevy.

I have a pull-rite superslide that moves as I turn. Chances are I don't need it, anyway. It certainly saves the stress of the possibility of bumping.

txdds

Thanks guys....you are right it's twice as much for a slider. Good to know about removing the plate. The one that we have been looking at is the pullrite SuperGlide 4100 (?) towing the Big Country 3500RL

VAbow

I like the way my pullrite hooks up. No quessing. It is locked or not. The release handle makes a soild sound as it locks into place.