Replace 3 Steps with 4 Steps

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Hmm... Thought the 3251 was in a 12 inch frame like our 3450. We have the four steps on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ParkIt

The frame should be the same across the board on Landmark, Big Horn and Big Country since they use the same Lippert frames, or so I would think.
Ours has the four steps but they are the squared ones, would like the 'rounded' type as they flair out away from the entry a bit more.

jassson007

The frame should be the same across the board on Landmark, Big Horn and Big Country since they use the same Lippert frames, or so I would think.
Ours has the four steps but they are the squared ones, would like the 'rounded' type as they flair out away from the entry a bit more.

No ma'am. According to factory tour guide units built on a 10inch ibeam frame have 3 steps and those built on a 12 inch frame have 4 steps.

Theresau

True and ours has a 10" frame. Frankly we think it should have had a 12" considering it weighed in at 14,300 at the rally. Thank goodness we upgraded the axles to 7000 (and tires to G).

Don't see why we couldn't still order the 4 steps - they would have fit...

No ma'am. According to factory tour guide units built on a 10inch ibeam frame have 3 steps and those built on a 12 inch frame have 4 steps.

jassson007

True and ours has a 10" frame. Frankly we think it should have had a 12" considering it weighed in at 14,300 at the rally. Thank goodness we upgraded the axles to 7000 (and tires to G).

Don't see why we couldn't still order the 4 steps - they would have fit...

Don't know why they would say no to it. Think it would be a simple upgrade your dh could do for you though. What is your overall length?

ParkIt

Good to know but a bit baffling, guess its why we could swap the steps on ours with no problems.

oldmannj

Don't jump into this blindly. I had the 2 steps changed out to 3 steps on my TT and the "simple" swap cost hundreds in welding and fitting. It may be different with the 5ers BUT check into it closely before you try it. The voice of experience tells me there's a reason the factory boys said no. ED.

Theresau

Factory lists at 38 but someone else on the forum measured and it is 39.2. Hub said he would upgrade...just wondered if anyone had done..

Don't know why they would say no to it. Think it would be a simple upgrade your dh could do for you though. What is your overall length?

jassson007

Factory lists at 38 but someone else on the forum measured and it is 39.2. Hub said he would upgrade...just wondered if anyone had done..

Hmm... I am 38-4 listed. Need to measure I guess. I do know I am 13-1 tall though. Not sure what is deciding factor then. Thought my 3450 would be a bit longer.

Theresau

Your front air is not low profile correct?

Hmm... I am 38-4 listed. Need to measure I guess. I do know I am 13-1 tall though. Not sure what is deciding factor then. Thought my 3450 would be a bit longer.

jassson007

Your front air is not low profile correct?

Correct. Ducted installed at factory full profile ac up front. DW wanted height to be measured at dealer so we got Scott from Great Lakes to crawl up there after we were hooked up and we measured it from that ac to the ground.

Gizzy

Theresa, Glad you made it home safe. We leave in the AM heading west. About the steps, since lily and I both have bead knees, I ordered a 4 step from pplmotorhomes.com and installed them myself. Joe could handle it easily. makes a big difference. Suggest you also get the little swing down adjustable support and attach it to the 3rd step for a little extra support. You will see what I mean when you step on that 4th step. Been using our steps for the past 3 year and highly recommend them. Lily says to say "Hi".

Has anyone done this? We tried to have these installed in the BC but that was one thing Heartland would not agree. I found the following and it appears they will work. I greatly prefer the less distance between the quad steps than the triple.

http://www.etrailer.com/Enclosed-Trailer-Parts/Stromberg-Carlson/SM-24-40.html

Theresa

mobilcastle

Could you just use a separate step that sits on the ground for the 4th step. I know it's a pain but a cheap alternative-good luck.

Theresau

Thanks Gerry we noticed you had 4 steps. We'll look into pplmotorhomes. We did find Stromberg-Carlson brand on etrailer. Please tell Lily I said hello as well. We looked for you before we left the rally yesterday.

Have fun on your trip west. Please keep us in the loop...

Theresau

How's your rear air - ours is not putting out the cold that it should...front is great. Will be contacting Heartland today. It acted up during the rally and Heartland did some adjusting but it's just not putting out the cold... We're wondering now if it's 15k in the rear....................

Correct. Ducted installed at factory full profile ac up front. DW wanted height to be measured at dealer so we got Scott from Great Lakes to crawl up there after we were hooked up and we measured it from that ac to the ground.

Theresau

Not so much worried about the amount of steps but the space between. It was so much easier to walk up and down the 7" steps than our 9" when we visited those with the 4 steps during the rally. 9" is a large space between the steps. Also, we upgraded our axles and the trailer sits higher.

Could you just use a separate step that sits on the ground for the 4th step. I know it's a pain but a cheap alternative-good luck.

jassson007

How's your rear air - ours is not putting out the cold that it should...front is great. Will be contacting Heartland today. It acted up during the rally and Heartland did some adjusting but it's just not putting out the cold... We're wondering now if it's 15k in the rear....................

We keep the rear at 70 and the front at 68 and neither of them have any trouble that we can discern. It cycles like it should unless it is over 90 outside. We also run our fan on auto as well.