Adding 3rd AC to Garage

scottyb

I am wanting to add a 3rd AC to my garage. I like to leave my dogs in the garage and sometimes it is just too hot, even with a fan, plus we may have an ocasional visitor that sleeps in there. I want to do most or all of it myself, but not sure how to get the wiring up to the roof vent. Simple solution would be to come through the floor and use conduit up the walls and across the ceiling, but that wouldn't be very clean. But then again, it is just a garage. Just curious if anyone has been into the walls or ceiling of their garage and what kinds of obstacles there are. I am planning to have some type of manual switch where I can run the BR-LR, BR-GA, or all 3 if connected to 50A shore power.

Last question. If you had your choice, which brand AC would you install in the garage?

Ladiver

I have three from the factory. I will tell you it was nearly 100F today in soCal. The 13,500 BTU Air Conditioner in the garage works well, as does the same in the bedroom.

Jeff

scottyb

Yeah, it hit 108 here yesterday. I have no intention of going camping around here for the next couple months.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Since the third AC is an option from the factory they may have pre wired your unit.
Take the fan shroud off on the inside and look for a yellow cable (Romex) that terminates in a plastic box.
Also look in your breaker panel and you might see a breaker for the third AC.

Peace
Dave

porthole

Retired
Scott, I have run wires to my garage, although not romex to the roof.

With the corroplast dropped.

I have romex from my breaker panel out to the left side and down along the frame. Where the corro-plast stops I used PVC conduit to the location I wanted outlets in the garage.

I have also run 12 volt wire along the same route all the way to left rear corner. From here I went up through the floor and snaked wires along the garage door frame up to the roof. This wire was for wiring the rear flood lights to my reverse light circuit.

I have not gone through the roof yet, but if you pull down either the garage fan trim or even a ceiling vent you can pull the ceiling down just enough to look around. Since your trailer is newer, you may be lucky and already have the AC wire.

Front AC was not a standard option when we got our trailer, but the wiring was there.

Just a thought and a little extra expense, if you go through he trouble to run wire maybe run some extra through the difficult to access areas. I'll be dropping my cooro-plast again to add another circuit to the garage.

I have an inverter not being used that I will power an outlet in the garage for the ice maker and Dometic cooler/freezer we use.

scottyb

That would be a huge bonus if the wiring is there already. I know there is wiring for the 12v fan. Maybe it was sized for an AC. Definitely worth checking. I agree with you about running extra wiring. If I have to bring in new wire, I will make provisions for future improvements, and a conduit would be my choice. If I was building one of these things for myself, everything would be in conduit.