Opinions and Reviews on Awning Rooms

dpetri

Hello All,

I wanted to find out if anybody on this forum has had any experience with the awning rooms made by Carefree available at Camping World. I am hoping somebody can give me information as to the quality of the item, ease of putting up and storage, and any other useful information you may have on this accessory. Any other manufacturers I should be aware of when researching this item? Any general tips I should know about buying one of these?

Thank you all!!

jbbdc

We had an awning room on our very first trailer many years ago. I don't recall the brand name, however.

Installing it was pretty straight forward. Just a lot of snaps. We only used it when on extended trips. It was nice to have at times, especially when bugs were heavy.

Here's why I would never own one again: Rain and high winds destroy awnings. In the event of either, the awning room would have to be removed to retract the awning. That doesn't happen quickly. Now that so many stand-alone screen rooms are available on the market it's just so much easier going that route. A screen room normally doesn't have to be taken down when it rains and if high winds damage it, it's easier/cheaper to replace than an awning.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If you have an electric awning, you may not be able to attach a screen room to it. They don't have the same rails found on the manual awnings.
Don't know for sure about that, but if you have electric you might want to check it out.
I agree with Jbbdc, windy conditions will be a problem. We had one for our pop up and it was a pain.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
You can spend a lot for a screen tent, or you can spend a little. We've had two pricey "name brand" ones that didn't hold up more than a summer. Our current $40 Walmart one seems tough as nails in it's third season.

Also had a screen room on our pop-up. A lot of work for short term visits.