Half Ton Silverado tow candidates

rst52

I have a 2001 Silverado 1500 Ext cab 4x4 SR71 Truck with 5300 V8.

I am confused about my towing capacity and possible fifth wheel towing.

Anyone using this truck to tow fifth wheel or bumper?

My tow limit is 9000 lbs per towing guides...

GVWR is 6400 GAWR rr is 3750 per door metrics

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

RST52

danemayer

Hi rst52,

You have to be concerned with both the towing capacity (horizontal load) and also the pin weight (vertical load). The 2004 GMC Towing Guide (I didn't see any older guides) looks like it might limit vertical load to 1500 with a 5th wheel hitch. You've already found you have a horizontal limit of 9000.

You might be able to tow a smaller Prowler 5th Wheel. The pin weights are listed on the Heartlandrvs.com website.

You can get a fuller understanding of all the numbers and what they mean by visiting Fifth Wheel Safe Towing, a website developed by another Heartland owner.

Jimsryker

Thank you for the directions.

I might need to upgrade my truck to a 2500hd duramax...

Bob

Greetings Bob,

I have been where you currently are now. I towed my 25 ft. Aljo 5th wheel with my 2003 GMC Z71. 4X4 with the trailering package. When I bought my trailer, the original owner assured me that my 1/2 ton could tow it with no problem. He was correct however it was clearly a heavy load. Fully loaded, the trailer weighed in @ 7200 lbs. I found air bags a necessity. I towed that trailer over Independence Pass in Colorado albeit going about 20 mph. I eventually graduated to a 2006 GMC 2500 HD. Ironically, we are just now finishing our next upgrade to a 2013 Cyclone 3010. Again, I am at the edge of the performance for my current rig. I may find myself making the next step up for my trailer.

That is why I wanted to post here. If you keep your 1/2 ton, get a trailer that meets your weight restrictions. A gas engine is not like a diesel where you can push the envelope. I recommend air bags. An after market differential cover and a much larger tranny cooler You will need the extra fluid capacities to disapate the heat. I had noted that the paint on my original cover had been "cooked" off due to the heat I was generating while towing my 5er. Running synthetics also helps in the crank case, the tranny and the differentials.

Secondly, if you do decide to upgrade your TV, don't do what I did. For a bit more, you can get that 1 ton diesel. Even if you decide to go with a single rear wheel. I love my 2500HD, but in hind sight I am wishing I had gone with a dually. Good luck regardless!!

Jim

rst52

Jim,

Thank you for your response. I am retired and on a fixed budget, so I doubt I will be upgrading much.

However, your experience is a good guide for me. The suggestion of going straight to a one ton diesel makes sense to me.

I do not wish to "dink" around making adjustments here and there to meet safe weight requirements.

Bob

Greetings Bob,

I have been where you currently are now. I towed my 25 ft. Aljo 5th wheel with my 2003 GMC Z71. 4X4 with the trailering package. When I bought my trailer, the original owner assured me that my 1/2 ton could tow it with no problem. He was correct however it was clearly a heavy load. Fully loaded, the trailer weighed in @ 7200 lbs. I found air bags a necessity. I towed that trailer over Independence Pass in Colorado albeit going about 20 mph. I eventually graduated to a 2006 GMC 2500 HD. Ironically, we are just now finishing our next upgrade to a 2013 Cyclone 3010. Again, I am at the edge of the performance for my current rig. I may find myself making the next step up for my trailer.

That is why I wanted to post here. If you keep your 1/2 ton, get a trailer that meets your weight restrictions. A gas engine is not like a diesel where you can push the envelope. I recommend air bags. An after market differential cover and a much larger tranny cooler You will need the extra fluid capacities to disapate the heat. I had noted that the paint on my original cover had been "cooked" off due to the heat I was generating while towing my 5er. Running synthetics also helps in the crank case, the tranny and the differentials.

Secondly, if you do decide to upgrade your TV, don't do what I did. For a bit more, you can get that 1 ton diesel. Even if you decide to go with a single rear wheel. I love my 2500HD, but in hind sight I am wishing I had gone with a dually. Good luck regardless!!

Jim

Ladiver

Bob,

I too was in the same situation. I had a 2005 1500hd and wanted a trailer. Everything we looked at was just at the limits of what the truck could do. I ended up upgrading the truck to the 1-ton diesel single rear wheel and have never looked back. When we finally decided on the 5th wheel we wanted, I did not have to worry (too much) about the weight.

Good luck in your quest. These forums will give you tons of information.

Jeff