fuel station

1231ChaseB

Hi All ! I am having trouble with the fuel station in my Cyclone and would like to get it apart ! When you try and use it , it will start and then shut off so i quickly turn off the power to it and then in a second turn it back on and it will run for a couple second's and quit again and on and on and on ! I've had it partly apart and the gear's are NOT froze up ! I would like to get the armiture out but can't figure out how to get the sleeve it is in out of the pump mechanism ! I took the back end of the motor off but don't want to pull the armiture out that way cause i'll never get it back in from that end ! What i'm wondering about is the brush's !
Has anyone ever had one of these thing's apart ??????
Thanks
chaseb

Post a picture of the pump. I just replaced my pump in my Gearbox toy hauler by googling the model number and manufacturer. After some reading on the web and disassembling the pump I decided to replace it as a whole.

Sean

whp4262

Have you tried pulling the gears out and just running the motor? I just got done fixing my fuel station pump on my Cyclone. With the gear cover on, the pump motor would not run, with it off the pump motor ran fine. The pump gears had swollen, probably from the ethanol that's in the fuel, so with the gear cover on it would bind the gears. I used a piece of 320 wet/dry sandpaper laid out on a flat steel plate to polish the end of the pump gears facing the cover. Then I would put the gears in the pump and lay a straightedge across the gear and pump face and turn the gear with my finger. If the gear drug on the straightedge I polished a little more off the end. The pump runs fine now and it was a pretty easy fix that saved me the cost of a new pump. One word of caution is these are plastic gears so be careful how much you polish off the end, it doesn't take much. As an unrelated side note I find it's best to loosen the filler cap when your pumping the fuel. The pump will pull fuel out of the tank faster then the cap vent will let air into the tank.

Last edited:

danemayer

Hi whp4262,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and thanks for contributing to the discussion.

scottyb

1231ChaseB. If it's a GP-8RV, then the pump dealer, Great Plains Industries (GPI) confirmed what whp4262 said. The methanol in the gas causes the gears to swell. Remove the two gears and see if the motor turns without them. If so, it's the gears and not the motor. They sent me a new set of gears made of different material, free of charge.

1231ChaseB

Thanks everyone for the reply's ! I think i'm gonna get with GPI about getting some new gears ! Thanks again
chaseb

CabinetmakerII

Have you tried pulling the gears out and just running the motor? I just got done fixing my fuel station pump on my Cyclone. With the gear cover on, the pump motor would not run, with it off the pump motor ran fine. The pump gears had swollen, probably from the ethanol that's in the fuel, so with the gear cover on it would bind the gears. I used a piece of 320 wet/dry sandpaper laid out on a flat steel plate to polish the end of the pump gears facing the cover. Then I would put the gears in the pump and lay a straightedge across the gear and pump face and turn the gear with my finger. If the gear drug on the straightedge I polished a little more off the end. The pump runs fine now and it was a pretty easy fix that saved me the cost of a new pump. One word of caution is these are plastic gears so be careful how much you polish off the end, it doesn't take much. As an unrelated side note I find it's best to loosen the filler cap when your pumping the fuel. The pump will pull fuel out of the tank faster then the cap vent will let air into the tank.

While out on our annual fall archery hunting trip, I encountered this problem. We got through the trip by a sacrificial water hoseto siphon gas out of the fuel tank. Once home I read his blog and set about fixing my fuel station. Thanks for the advice. It worked very well. Hardest part was getting the pump bolted back in. I will be contacting the pump manufacturing folks to get new gears that will not swell up. C U Round The Campfire!