Info on M22 and european windows

Carsti

Hi: I have two questions. After looking into a few Edge RVs for sale, I noted that the model number and length seem relative for the shorter models; but the M22 is stated as 26'. It doesn't seem in keeping with the other model numbers and their lengths. Could you confirm if the info I have is correct. If so, why the confusing model number? Also, why did Heartland stop using the European windows? I am worried they may have problems such as losing tightness, breaking in winds, coming open while driving, or losing their clarity. Before we purchase one Edge or another, I would appreciate any insights from the manufacturer and from other Edge users. Thanks so much; the Edge looks like a very nice trailer.

danemayer

Hi Carsti,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of great information here along with a bunch of friendly and helpful people.

In previous discussions about naming of other parts of the Heartland product line, the general conclusion of forum members has been that the marketing names are not necessarily intended to convey measurement data.

I don't recall anyone posting about problems with Edge windows, but hopefully someone can address your window question more directly.

evolvingpowercat

I have no idea how Heartland picks their model numbers, the number can never be used to figure out the length so far as I can tell on any model and that's not just Heartland that is across the industry.

I looked at some rv dealer video ads for M22 and they appear to have identical euro dual pane windows with the integrated blackout shade / screens to my M21 and to the rest of the Edge line. It looks like the M22 is one of the longest versions Heartland made - about 4' longer than mine, which gave them room to have the bunk beds and the longer slide with the U shaped dinette, yet still with gross weight under 5,000 pounds, amazing to cram all that in a 5,000 tow weight. Here is some information I found you can look at online: http://www.rvingplanet.com/brands/heartland/edge/travel-trailers/. You can always also call Heartland Customer Service and ask them if any Edge were ever made with other than the Euro windows if you are searching for them and want to know if there are any out there with different windows.

evolvingpowercat

Regarding your question "why did Heartland stop using the Edge European Windows" I don't know. But I can venture a guess: They cost more. The pros are:
- They are a almost un-breakable hard plastic with two layers to provide good sound deadening and a slight insulation value.
- They look good
The cons are:
- Heartland used galvanized screws to mount them instead of stainless and they rust - look bad after a while and start to not hold the windows in solidly.
(Easy fix buy some stainless steel screws and change them out first thing if you buy an Edge)
- They only have single support rod on one side that can hold window open in two positions, in the full open position the wind can catch them and flip them up hard and damage them if a big wind comes up. If you have not fixed the rusting galv screws it can literally pull one off the side of the RV, it happened to me once. As this was my first RV, I had not learned the hard lesson all new RV owners learn about how you have to assume - that a strong wind might come up when you are not around when you leave your RV unattended, and set your awning and windows accordingly.
- Some time the internal latches in the support rod don't operate and you have to move the windows in and out several times to get them to latch to hold the window open.
- The big wide window with 5 latches can take some crawling around to open and shut the window, in particular if the table is installed in front of it. Try it when looking at one you will understand what I mean.
- The integrated blackout curtain / window screen frames were not sealed to the inside walls so bugs get in thru the gaps. Easy to fix yourself if you buy and Edge you will see the gaps and can seal them up.
- The screens can get out of the integrated tracks if you are not gentle when raising and lowering them. A plastic butter knife or similar gets them back in the track if this happens.

Last edited:

evolvingpowercat

Just one more thing to add about the Edge 'Euro' windows. They have one more position where they can be opened about 1/2" and are still securely latched. This is great for when you are away you get ventilation and are secure and no water can get in even if its raining and windy.

Chumbly

I think that the model number, ei:M22 for example, indicates trailer length minus the hitch...what I call "coach length"...add 4 ft for the hitch. But don't quote me on this...just a thought.

Chumbly

Just one more thing to add about the Edge 'Euro' windows. They have one more position where they can be opened about 1/2" and are still securely latched. This is great for when you are away you get ventilation and are secure and no water can get in even if its raining and windy.
Curious, ...How do you do that, and still latch the window?

evolvingpowercat

The Edge euro windows are top hinged swinging windows that curve around the edges and there are plastic latches on the lower sides and bottom. There are plastic catches on the swinging part of the window. There are two slots in the latches one shuts the window tight compressing the gasket all around. The other slot leaves a air gap and does not compress the gasket.