Some Options I Would Like to See

miboje

I understand that the Torque is an entry level toy hauler, but it would be great to see some things available as options. I only have a few suggestions that I feel would make a big difference.

• Ramp Door Patio - It just doesn't seem quite like a toy hauler without the patio. Nowadays, it's on nearly every 5er toy hauler worth its salt.
  • Canadian Arctic Package - We will be using our camper in the early spring and fall, not just summer. We want to extend the camping season as long as possible.
  • Stainless steel sinks - The acrylic, in all honesty, just looks cheap while the rest of the camper appears more mid-range. In other words, it looks inconsistent, especially with the SS package. Better yet, why not make stainless steel sinks part of the SS package?

porthole

Retired
I made my ramp a patio before they were an option.
Have only used it 2-3 times since then, I think.

Post #97
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11365-And-so-it-begins?p=135049&highlight=patio#post135049

miboje

I made my ramp a patio before they were an option.
Have only used it 2-3 times since then, I think.

Post #97
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11365-And-so-it-begins?p=135049&highlight=patio#post135049

Cool! Great job!
We've heard of folks making their own, but we wondered if the garage frame was specifically reinforced when the patio was a chosen option. Of course, if you'd had any problems, you would have said so.
Also, I don't see any railings on yours. We'd like the railings....they'd keep the dog from taking off after rabbits while we're trying to eat or relax, and ensure that neither of us falls or walks off it if we've had too much to drink...lol :>) I do believe though that a patio kit, complete with rails, can be purchased. That's an option too.

TheLindsays

I think there are patio kits that fit.. also I would like a cover for the kitchen sink and stove to add counter space ... since there pretty much is no space.. lol.. still love our Torque... we have not yet figured out how we want to add storage in the garage though...

miboje

I think there are patio kits that fit.. also I would like a cover for the kitchen sink and stove to add counter space ... since there pretty much is no space.. lol.. still love our Torque... we have not yet figured out how we want to add storage in the garage though...

There probably are, and so it's not a big deal if it's not an option, but it would certainly be nice.

RE: Counter top space. I was thinking the same thing. The Columbus Palomino toy hauler is also on my list, and I love the simple thing they do to add counter top space. They have the stove recessed down into the cabinetry and fold-able counter top over that. That way when you don't need to use the stove, then it's valuable counter top space! It makes perfect sense and helps a lot when there's a rather small kitchen. I don't know why all manufacturers don't do this. Conversely, I believe I saw some individual sink covers on camping world's web site. If Heartland installed the undermount sink, then they could offer sink covers to match. But I guess they don't want the Torque having all the same amenities as the Cyclone and Road Warrior, which is why it's priced considerably less.

I was also thinking about storage in the garage, mainly where the kids would be able to store their clothes. I'm hoping there is storage under that sofa in the LR, but we could also pick up one of those plastic drawer units for now.

TheLindsays

Yes... I saw a folding stove cover at Camping World but have to bought one.. will probably do so... our couch in ours has 3 nice drawers that pull out and snap closed... nice storage for videos, blankets.. the table polls etc. .. its true.. the price for the Torque is very nice compared to others... and its nice having the sliding glass doors for our garage to make it a separate bedroom with a tv for when the kids and grandkids come along and can have their own bedtime space... we plan on putting up a curtain to block light for when someone wants to go to bed earlier than others etc. .. we use a blow up full size mattress on the ground below the bed in the garage for a makeshift bunk bed so 4-5 can sleep back there.. fits the kids and grandkids... and we still have our peaceful side :)

porthole

Retired
Cool! Great job!
We've heard of folks making their own, but we wondered if the garage frame was specifically reinforced when the patio was a chosen option. Of course, if you'd had any problems, you would have said so.
Also, I don't see any railings on yours. We'd like the railings....they'd keep the dog from taking off after rabbits while we're trying to eat or relax, and ensure that neither of us falls or walks off it if we've had too much to drink...lol :>) I do believe though that a patio kit, complete with rails, can be purchased. That's an option too.

No issues.
And this past week would have been another time I used it. We were almost backed up to the Susquehanna river. I chose a site that had a clear view but didn't back up to it. The water was moving pretty good when we got there, and at least one of the dogs thought it too inviting.

Something to consider with the patio idea. Without an awning it can get brutally hot on the deck.

CHRIS-123

for my torque I went out and purchased 2 butcher blocks one to fit over the stove, and one to fit the sink, notched the sink one for the faucet add some nice fir 1x3 around the edges to hold it in place while travelling down the highway, works awesome for more counter space and was cheap to do, in the garage I am still working on this but I am thinging about possibly hanging a couple cabinets on eather end of the bed for the kids clothes so when the bed is down they can get into them, only thing is when loading the quads it will lower the head space a bit, and also thinking about a cabinet were the tv is suppose to go, and hanging the tv from that. just a few ideas I have been tossing around for my torque.

TheLindsays

That's sounds like a good idea... my husband has a wood shop.. maybe he can actually use it to make ME something useful.. can you post some pic's of the top and bottom and how they fit.. that would be awesome... we mounted a tv in the garage.. is great when we have grandkids or even when we just want to watch something different.

TravisJen

When we were looking at our 321, we asked about the patio option. They told us that the door is 7' as opposed to the industry standard of 8'. Also, the door frame isn't reinforced to hold the weight where the anchors are. I'm not sure if I believe in the whole reinforcement thing but it would be nice to have the extra space. As far as countertop space goes, that was a deciding factor when we choose our 5er. The "home office" space makes a great bar.

miboje

When we were looking at our 321, we asked about the patio option. They told us that the door is 7' as opposed to the industry standard of 8'. Also, the door frame isn't reinforced to hold the weight where the anchors are. I'm not sure if I believe in the whole reinforcement thing but it would be nice to have the extra space. As far as countertop space goes, that was a deciding factor when we choose our 5er. The "home office" space makes a great bar.
I see. That's what I was afraid of. If we can't get the patio, I'm not sure I'd buy it. That's one of the main reasons we'd want a toy hauler, because it's hard to get that extra valuable space with a regular fifth wheel. That's probably why AJ never got back to me on that then. *Sigh* Back to the drawing board, I guess.

I love that the little counter top area is multifunctional. That's always a bonus in an RV.

AJJONES

Senior GM for Cyclone, Torque, Gateway & Sundance
I see. That's what I was afraid of. If we can't get the patio, I'm not sure I'd buy it. That's one of the main reasons we'd want a toy hauler, because it's hard to get that extra valuable space with a regular fifth wheel. That's probably why AJ never got back to me on that then. *Sigh* Back to the drawing board, I guess.

I love that the little counter top area is multifunctional. That's always a bonus in an RV.

I have great news in that everyone is correct and we could not add the ramp door patio kit because of the 7' door on Torque. However we have just made a change on all of our Torque 5th wheels that go on line 8-5-13 and afterward to go to a 8' ramp door. So if you are still in the market for a Torque 5th wheel i am sure we can accommodate your needs.

Thanks,

AJ

miboje

I have great news in that everyone is correct and we could not add the ramp door patio kit because of the 7' door on Torque. However we have just made a change on all of our Torque 5th wheels that go on line 8-5-13 and afterward to go to a 8' ramp door. So if you are still in the market for a Torque 5th wheel i am sure we can accommodate your needs.

Thanks,

AJ
Really!!! Oh, that's WONDERFUL news, AJ! Thank you so much for this! Any chance we can get the insulation/cold weather upgrade?

bjoseph

I just purchased a Torque 301 last month I noticed some options that will be important for future Torque buyers.

1. A must need is a bathroom light switch not on the ceiling. My 4 year old cannot turn on the bathroom light!
2. A fantastic fan in the kitchen where I cannot reach the ceiling rather than the bedroom where I can reach the ceiling. I love the fan, but I dont need the automatic opening fan where the celing is 6'3
3. Some kind of ladder to get into the garage bunks. I know they sell aftemarket ladders.
4. A curtain option for the gargage

Other than these must needs, I love my new Torque!

tilleyjs

On the Torque 270HG: take out the couch over the hitch. In the corner. Install a washer/dryer hookup to place a combo there. Also, is it the regular rv bathtub in it? Or the residential tub.

Mizmary

ALL units should have the lights on a switch on the wall. It is terribly annoying to have half the lights on a switch and the other half on the ceiling.

Kimjaco

So since the torques are going to 8 foot doors will they start coming with the patio option? If so, when? Would you have to order from the factory to get the patio option? I did not see it listed as an option on the MSRP sheet that was posted. It is also not listed on the heartland website as an option. The patio option and 2nd fuel cell are very high up on our list of prefered options, I would love to find a Torque with these options!

Last edited:

AJJONES

The patio option is available on every 5th wheel except the 270HG. It is not an advertised option but is a "special" option that we can do from the factory. The 2nd fuel cell how ever is not an option that we have available from the factory.

TravisJen

The patio option is available on every 5th wheel except the 270HG. It is not an advertised option but is a "special" option that we can do from the factory. The 2nd fuel cell how ever is not an option that we have available from the factory.

When you say every 5th wheel, do you mean the older mid-profile 321 as well? Or just the newer style?

AJJONES

Just the newer style with the full profile cap and the 8' ramp door. This is something that needs to be purchased when building the unit. Adding a ramp door patio kit would be a huge undertaking to put on a unit after it was built. You need to not only swap out the ramp door (patio kits has additional metal in door to prevent punctures from furniture as well as the rail kit), add additional springs to support additional weight new ramp door, and you would also need to swap out the entire ramp door horse shoe (framing around the ramp door). This is because the cables put a lot of pulling force on the frame when supporting the ramp door, and the STD horse shoe is not strong enough and would eventually start to bend and twist which would not allow your ramp door to shut or seal properly.