LED 5050 RGB Lights - Heads Up folks....

sbuckman

Hi Guys. Just a heads up here on the RGB 5050 LEDs we are all putting on our campers. I have pulled them all off of everything we own due to our recent discovery. We had them on our toy hauler and this past weekend we noted the color was 'off' on the toy hauler. Last night we got around to pulling them off with the intention of replacing them and found this (see pictures) Highly doubt there will be any put back up.

IMG_0313.jpgIMG_6745.jpgIMG_1562.jpg

scottyb

sbuckman, are these LED strips on the awnings. If so, I don't have them on my rig and I'm having a hard time telling what they are.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Are these rated for exterior use? Even some of the older rope lights were indoor only.

sbuckman

These are after market RGB 5050 LED waterproof strips that were self installed. They ARE NOT the ones installed by Heartland! Yes they are rated for exterior use to be used in all conditions. They have a self adhesive 3M strip to attach.

scottyb

These are after market RGB 5050 LED waterproof strips that were self installed. They ARE NOT the ones installed by Heartland! Yes they are rated for exterior use to be used in all conditions. They have a self adhesive 3M strip to attach.

Thank you for this information. I do not have them so I was not familiar with what they actually look like. Since I have been reading about them coming with the new rigs, naturally, I though I had to have them. I probably would have bought the same thing you have. I have installed some 5050 LED's replacing some of the halogen bulbs inside the coach and that is what prompted me to look.

Pizzaguy

How much did you use the lights?. Did you leave them on full brightness for hours at a time?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

sjs731

Were they fuse protected?

That is how I wired mine. I ran the multi color directly to an open spot in my fuse panel and I also have a 16' strip on bothe sides of my frame also run to their own fuse. I haven't noticed an issue yet. My brother was going to tie his into an exterior light and I suggested against it because the fuse was to large to protect against overload of the strip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve and Carrie
HOC# 2252
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch
2012 Sundance 3300CK

Pizzaguy

Has anybody else had any problems with these? I have them sitting here ready to install but would like to hear from some more people that have them. Also hopefully sbuckman will reply as to how much they used the lights, if they were on for long hours at a time at full brightness, etc. Also is everyone wiring them directly to an unused spot in the fusebox or are you plugging them in using the 120V pwer supply that comes with them with the 12v output.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I have a set of the Dometic lights installed on the side of my trailer just below the awning. I have not used the lights all that much but on average about once a week since April and I've not seen anything like this. I will keep a closer eye on it now.

drfife

Hi Guys. Just a heads up here on the RGB 5050 LEDs we are all putting on our campers. I have pulled them all off of everything we own due to our recent discovery. We had them on our toy hauler and this past weekend we noted the color was 'off' on the toy hauler. Last night we got around to pulling them off with the intention of replacing them and found this (see pictures) Highly doubt there will be any put back up.

View attachment 25647View attachment 25648View attachment 25649

Were yours the waterproof version?

Where did you order?

Did you note any symptoms prior to the burn/ Individual bulb color different or anything else?

jimtoo

Hi drfife,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. Great bunch of folks here, lots of information and all willing to help.

The ones I installed on mine are listed as "waterproof" from Amazon. They look the same as what sbuckman installed.

Jim M

drfife

Hi drfife,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. Great bunch of folks here, lots of information and all willing to help.

The ones I installed on mine are listed as "waterproof" from Amazon. They look the same as what sbuckman installed.

Jim M
Thanks for the welcome. I have an SOB (Excel Winslow), I hope you don't mind me posting.

I installed my 5050 LED strip 6 months ago on my awning tube. I often leave the on for hours at a time.

Two of the individual LED's have begun to illuminate a different color than the rest. I will check for hot spots on the strip.

I usually run them at night on 7 color fade, unless we are sitting under the awning. Then I'll have them a constant white or yellow.

Thanks for the heads up on your issue. I'll keep a much closer eye on them.

Russell
Dallas, TX
2013 Excel Winslow 34IKE

jimtoo

Russell,

I will post amp draw when I check mine out. Just for information in case anyone else wants to check and compare.

We met at Lake Medina, Thousand Trails, last Feb.1, 2013. You cooked the "Garbage Can Turkey".

Hope to see you on the road again.

Jim M

jimtoo

Hi Russell and everyone,

I just checked the 12v amp draw of the LED strip I installed and it seems to be the one almost everyone is getting and installing.

When on brightest setting the strip is drawing 2.02 amps of 12v current. The fuse in the panel for the circuit my porch light is tied into has a 20amp fuse. But the step lights, aisle light, both sides of the scare lights are all on the same circuit. Maybe even something else I did not find. I quit when my meter was up to 9.7amp draw with everything on. The meter I was using only measures up to 10amp. I did turn all the lights off and flipped some more switches and did not find any other load on that circuit.

So with the pictures posted before that tells me there was plenty of juice there to cause a burn like in the pics. I am going to wire in a separate 3 or 5 amp fuse inside the old porch light fixture where I tied my LED strip in so it will be on it's own smaller fuse and give me protection from a problem with the LED strip.

Since the current draw is so little, I would like to see everyone install a small fuse in the 12v supply line for these LED's.

Jim M