Anti Siphon Valve

denverkas

I have a 2014 Cyclone 4000 Elite. I found the Anti Siphon Valve for the black tank flush, which is in the wall directly behind the toilet where all the wiring is for the majority of switches in the camper. I have read alot of posts on here about these Anti Siphon Valves causing issues. Do I have anything to worry about? If I need to remove it, what do I do then, cap the lines or connect them?

One more thing that I'd like to add, if I am to just cap or connect these lines together, doing away with the Anti Siphon Valve completely, is there anything that I need to watch for or do differently when flushing the black tank valve?

danemayer

The purpose of the anti-siphon valve is to prevent sewage from flowing backwards into the water supply. If you take it out, you need to put in a check valve somewhere in the black flush line.

Greengas

IMHO. You need either the anti siphon valve where it currently is or a backflow preventer valve placed on the back side of the inlet. If you want to remove the anti-siphon valve you can just connect the two pipes but then you need to put in the back flow preventer on the back side of the inlet. The purpose of either one is to prevent water from your black tank from flowing back out. Confused? I sure was initially but with the help of the great folks on this forum all is now clear.

Hope I helped.

wdk450

Denverkas:
These valves seem to have a propensity for blowing off and causing water soaking mini disasters. I believe they are mandated by government codes, yet the add-on tank flushers you can buy at the RV stores don't have the atmospheric breaker valves, just check valves.
Also, read item #7 in this literature from B&B Molders, which seems to say that water discharges from this valve are "normal": http://www.bandbmolders.com/files/TankFlusherInstructions2.pdf (I am thinking water discharges from the atmospheric vent, not the tubing ports)

donr827

Why are anti siphon valves, seems like a lot of problem with them, are required over a simple check valve.
Don

scottyb

Why are anti siphon valves, seems like a lot of problem with them, are required over a simple check valve.
Don

Simple check valves do not create a vacuum break. Check valves are subject to fail or get debris lodged in the gate and contaminants could be siphoned back into the system. Every irrigation, fire, or even potable water line has to have one when subjected to potential source of cross contamination. Local codes require them, but it is also mandated at the state level.