The dreaded Landmark falling Water Tank-06 Landmark Shenandougha

Hoser43

Well we got bit by the potable water tank falling down. I was under the slide lubing the slides and all of a sudden there was crack and the tank was hanging below the frame a good 4 to 5". We are just loading up to go for 4 days then 4 weeks-good timing. I don't know what they have for a tank but it looks like a 1" sheet metal strap hanging out. All I could find so late in the day was a couple of those drive in steel fence posts- about 6' long. I'm going to try to straddle the frame with them and hope that holds the tank in place. I use a 4x4 between the frames and jacked the tank back up into p[lace. Possible problem-when I got it back in place there was a fair amount of water leaking down through the coroplast?? and I don't know where that cam from. I just got a nervous twitch while reading another poster's problem where he had 2 adjoing tanks- does anyone know what is in the basement of my Landmark? I put valves on all the so called vent pipes hanging down behind the axle. I don't believe it is a good idea to leave vents open to the elements with West Nile and such around-that was somebodies dumb and dumber move.

davebennington

This was a problem with some of the early units. The best solution is to jack the tank back in place and then purchase 2 angle irons and bolt them across the frame this will hold the tank in place if you travel travel with the tank filled.

dave

jbeletti

Hoser,

Sorry to hear this has happened. Heartland has learned much since the early days in they way they mount their tanks. Dave's suggestion was a good one. Angle stock or even square tube stock has been used by some to gird up their tank. You coach does not have 2 tanks - so no cross-over.

The water leaking from the coruplast is troublesome. At some point, you will want to take it down to inspect.

wdk450

I'm thinking the water leaking could be from a somewhat flexible full tank of water being compressed when you jacked it back into position and the tank overflowed (I do believe there is a tank overflow port).

hoefler

Check this thread I started on my fix for a falling tank. //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/25165-I-have-one-for-you-all!?p=186632#post186632

Hoser43

I got a phone number for Heartland Service and gave it a try-got some good info. I was directed to a local dealer (1 hour away) who is a Heartland Dealer. They want $140/hr for this job. They have done a number of them, apparently. They almost suggested Heartland has been contributing some financially to these repairs as they at first stated they will not do the repair and bill Heartland for the support funds, nor will undertake any of these where potential warranty issues were at stake- she said I would have to go elsewhere . I indicated I wasn't necessarily thinking Heartland was goint to pay-but if they contributed I would be all over that-she stated management have an agreement with Heartland to not do any where potential warranty is at stake???
I believe she must be very blonde as this is how the conversation went- I informed her again I was just calling to get an approximate price to do this job as they have done a number of them in the past. She says I have to bring it in so they can look at it-I asked are you going to take the belly cover (cloroplast?) down to see it-she says no- our tech have done so many they don't need to they already have a good idea how much labour is involved. Well then why do I have to drive 2 1/2 hours to you to get an approximate price to do this work if they already know how much time is involved- hmm stumped her- she is going to talk to the Service Manager. I've dealt with Woody's RV before and they have been very good- I think this bimbo has been promoted to her level of incompetence.
On a another problem I'm having with a plugged or non-existant black water tank vent-Heartland indicated it should be in the wall behind the WC and goes straight up through the roof. This is good news so I can have a starting place for my serch & destroy. I can't help think this will come to an end soon and all will be repaired- then I can deal with routine maintenance items.

porthole

Retired
$140 an hour - for RV service !

If I felt like doing a part time career I have an idea of where to start.