Gateway - General Questions / Additions From Factory Not Listed

BigJohnD

Figured no better place to ask these questions than an owners forum. We're sort of interested in the Gateway 3650BH. This will be our 7th RV. We've owned everything from a popup to Class A motorhome, so we know what we like and dislike. On previous units, some factories have made modifications not listed on an options sheet. So, here's some questions we have, and a few items we've had done and want to know if Gateway will accomodate:
1) Delete skylight above tub. Useless to us. We've had a few deleted, the others we've painted and insulated as we don't want the light or heat.
2) 3rd AC. I'm really not sure if there is a vent in the bunk house, but if so, will Gateway install a 3rd AC in that spot, like a small 9k or so Penguin unit? I know I can usually only run 2 at a time, but I like the option if one decides to give out in the middle of the summer, or if I would rather run the mid-coach and back opposed to the mid-coach and front.
3) Generator - they show genset prep, so I can only assume they will put something like a Onan 5500 LP model. Seems to be the usual in a fiver.
4) What size is the frame on the Gateway. Guessing a 10" at this price point, but hoping it's at least a 12" due to 41' length
5) Will factory put the Tri-Glide or MorRyde pin box on from the factory?
6) I read somewhere Heartland will honor warranty service at 3rd part service places. Is this true? We prefer to stay away from the dealers, and have an independent service place that we love to use due to quality and pride in work.

I'm offshore at the time with 2 more weeks to go so I'm doing my homework before even going to look. Usually dealer knows less than us and will throw an answer out there without research, and I figured I'd ask here first before giving the factory a call. Any input is greatly appreciated.

danemayer

Figured no better place to ask these questions than an owners forum. We're sort of interested in the Gateway 3650BH. This will be our 7th RV. We've owned everything from a popup to Class A motorhome, so we know what we like and dislike. On previous units, some factories have made modifications not listed on an options sheet. So, here's some questions we have, and a few items we've had done and want to know if Gateway will accomodate:
Hi BigJohnD,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

Some of your questions may need to be answered by the Heartland Brand Manager, but let me take a pass at a few.

1) Delete skylight above tub. Useless to us. We've had a few deleted, the others we've painted and insulated as we don't want the light or heat.

2) 3rd AC. I'm really not sure if there is a vent in the bunk house, but if so, will Gateway install a 3rd AC in that spot, like a small 9k or so Penguin unit? I know I can usually only run 2 at a time, but I like the option if one decides to give out in the middle of the summer, or if I would rather run the mid-coach and back opposed to the mid-coach and front.

This has been done on some toy haulers, but involves adding a transfer switch and other engineering work. So it's conceivable, but would be a pretty significant customization. You'll have to hear from the Brand Manager.

3) Generator - they show genset prep, so I can only assume they will put something like a Onan 5500 LP model. Seems to be the usual in a fiver.

The Generator Prep on most of the larger 5'ers supports the Onan LP generator but is a separate option that is a pre-req for ordering the generator. Neither option is shown on the Standards and Options page on the Heartland Website, so you'll have to check with the Brand Manager to be sure it's available.

4) What size is the frame on the Gateway. Guessing a 10" at this price point, but hoping it's at least a 12" due to 41' length

6) I read somewhere Heartland will honor warranty service at 3rd part service places. Is this true? We prefer to stay away from the dealers, and have an independent service place that we love to use due to quality and pride in work.

Heartland will and does, with prior approval, authorize warranty work at independent repairs shops and non-Heartland dealers.

I'm offshore at the time with 2 more weeks to go so I'm doing my homework before even going to look. Usually dealer knows less than us and will throw an answer out there without research, and I figured I'd ask here first before giving the factory a call. Any input is greatly appreciated.

There are a couple of Gateway owners active on the forum, so hopefully one of them will be able to answer more of your questions.

If you don't get answers, or have additional questions, you can call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Identify yourself as a prospective customer and ask for the Gateway Brand Manager.

bankofdad

BigJohnD- I have tried to answer your questions below. Some of these are special options and your dealer will need to make sure we have them noted for you.

Hi BigJohnD,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

Some of your questions may need to be answered by the Heartland Brand Manager, but let me take a pass at a few.

We can try to do this but it becomes quite difficult to walk a single unit down the production line at the rate that we build them. Your dealer will need to make us aware of this special request.

This has been done on some toy haulers, but involves adding a transfer switch and other engineering work. So it's conceivable, but would be a pretty significant customization. You'll have to hear from the Brand Manager.

We are unable to offer this as an option, but the dealer may be able to accommodate your request for this if you discuss it with them. The current a/c system in the Gateway was designed by Dometic with folks in Louisiana to address their extreme climate conditions. (heat and humidity) This system runs on a double plenum and circulates throughout the entire coach, even when only one unit is running.

The Generator Prep on most of the larger 5'ers supports the Onan LP generator but is a separate option that is a pre-req for ordering the generator. Neither option is shown on the Standards and Options page on the Heartland Website, so you'll have to check with the Brand Manager to be sure it's available.

Gen prep is for a 5.5KW LP Genset.

The 3650BH uses a 12" I-Beam, all shorter Gateway floor plans use a 10" I-Beam.

We offer MorRyde as a special option.

Heartland will and does, with prior approval, authorize warranty work at independent repairs shops and non-Heartland dealers.

There are a couple of Gateway owners active on the forum, so hopefully one of them will be able to answer more of your questions.

If you don't get answers, or have additional questions, you can call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Identify yourself as a prospective customer and ask for the Gateway Brand Manager.

I hope this info helps to answer your questions.

BigJohnD

Thanks for all the feedback bankofdad. Were you by any chance the one I spoke to while at the dealer today? We did place an order for a new 3650 today. Finding out about the residential fridge at the last minute sealed the deal for us. Several of the options I had asked about we just left alone to keep it simple. Looking forward to seeing it soon.

Biily

Big John, bunk room (13.5) and front bedroom (15) have the AC units, nothing in the middle but vents.

BigJohnD

I realized that as soon as I walked in the 3650 yesterday for the first time. After running the 2 ACs throughout the most of the day tour, temps in mid 90's, I was satisfied with what was installed. The unit we looked at didn't have dual pane windows, ours will, so that'll help even more. Warmest room out of all was the bunk room, and it was still very comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kernst

I realized that as soon as I walked in the 3650 yesterday for the first time. After running the 2 ACs throughout the most of the day tour, temps in mid 90's, I was satisfied with what was installed. The unit we looked at didn't have dual pane windows, ours will, so that'll help even more. Warmest room out of all was the bunk room, and it was still very comfortable.

We have a 2014 Gateway 3650BH. Camping in Oklahoma in the mid to upper 90's, I can attest that the two AC units can keep the trailer cold. We keep the it pretty cold in there during the day, usually setting both thermostats at 68-69, and it can get chilly enough during the day that my wife and daughter complain sometimes. It all depends on how often you open/close the doors during the heat of the day. If I had a nickle for every time I've told the kids, "Either you're in or you're out"... ;-)

BigJohnD

Thanks for the words of encouragement kernst. I was somewhat surprised how well the 2 worked together. We like it COLD as well. I hear you on the in or out scenario. My kids are the same way. One thing we lucked up on, is right before we signed on the spec sheet to order, we noticed the residential fridge option. This wasn't listed in the brochure or anywhere else for that matter. A phone call to factory, option verified, a few pictures sent of what it would look like, and that's what we ordered. Also getting heat strips put in both AC's and slide toppers. We've had heat pumps before, and were disappointed in the fact they don't work well below 50 deg, and not at all around 40 deg. We managed pretty well with 2 heat strips in a previous fifth wheel, provided it wasn't extreme low temps. Does anybody know if this thing is actually 13'4" tall? I believe that's what the brochure says. Rather tall if that's true. It wasn't practical to measure the one on the lot the other day. It'll work, but close. We'll be full timing in it, but it'll spend the first month in our shop getting rigged out and loaded up, and the shop doors have 13' 10" clearance. Close, but it'll go. Our experience thus far with Heartland has been great. Between this forum and feedback received from the factory, we feel we've made the right choice.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Thanks for the words of encouragement kernst. I was somewhat surprised how well the 2 worked together. We like it COLD as well. I hear you on the in or out scenario. My kids are the same way. One thing we lucked up on, is right before we signed on the spec sheet to order, we noticed the residential fridge option. This wasn't listed in the brochure or anywhere else for that matter. A phone call to factory, option verified, a few pictures sent of what it would look like, and that's what we ordered. Also getting heat strips put in both AC's and slide toppers. We've had heat pumps before, and were disappointed in the fact they don't work well below 50 deg, and not at all around 40 deg. We managed pretty well with 2 heat strips in a previous fifth wheel, provided it wasn't extreme low temps. Does anybody know if this thing is actually 13'4" tall? I believe that's what the brochure says. Rather tall if that's true. It wasn't practical to measure the one on the lot the other day. It'll work, but close. We'll be full timing in it, but it'll spend the first month in our shop getting rigged out and loaded up, and the shop doors have 13' 10" clearance. Close, but it'll go. Our experience thus far with Heartland has been great. Between this forum and feedback received from the factory, we feel we've made the right choice.

Not sure about gateway but my BC with 2nd ac stands 13'1" at highest point which is the front ac.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

kernst

Does anybody know if this thing is actually 13'4" tall?

My brochure said 12'10", I didn't believe it. I measures our 2014 3650BH while it was sitting in storage (gravel lot, not perfectly level front to back) and I measured 13'3" from ground to top of front AC unit. I need to remember to measure it while it's hooked up to my truck, to see if there's any discrepancy there. Either way, you should be fine with a 13'10" door.

BigJohnD

Sounds like the 13' 4" may be the right figure, or close anyway. Seems like they'd use the low profile 13.5 AC on the front to reduce overall height a bit, but we'll take it how it is. We've never had anything over 12' 11" and never came too close to tagging anything, so a few more inches won't hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GWRam

Does anyone know if a 4 or 6 point leveling system is available on any Gateway 5th wheel model?
Our unit built Sept13 has the 6pt ground control(electric) on it. I have read a post where a owner had the 6pt level up(Hydraulic) installed on his. the level up install is done by lippert before the frame is delivered to Heartland and the ground control is added by lippert after the unit is built.