1st night success

Ladiver

We are making our first trip EVER!!!! We are staying at the KOA in Chula Vista, CA. Got in yesterday and everything was great, other than the truck did not fit in the space after I unhitched. So had to part truck in general parking, but that is OK. I am not planning on using it!

No issues last night, we were comfy as were the two birds and 2 dogs. I think the animals wish we had gotten a bigger garage!

Now, the most imortant thing. FIND COFFEE! (we opted not to bring the coffee maker on this trip...regretting that decision now)

Grey Ghost

Well, COFFEE is a very important thing in the morning! Glad your first trip out is going well! Welcome to the site and if you have questions this site has some pretty knowledgeable people that are more than willing to assist in any way they can!

porthole

Retired
As far as I'm concerned - if the coffee maker is not in the RV there is no sense pulling out of the driveway!

How are you traveling with the birds? We traveled for years with a full grown Blue & Gold Macaw.

I use to bring orthopedic beds for the dogs, made them nice and comfy in the garage. But more times then not the two of them squeeze themselves on the landing outside the bedroom door. So, I gave up on the garage for them.

Attachments

• D30_4873_b.JPG
    D30_4873_b.JPG
    534.4 KB · Views: 106
  • D30_4915_b.JPG
    D30_4915_b.JPG
    555.3 KB · Views: 102
  • sleeping dogs.JPG
    sleeping dogs.JPG
    324 KB · Views: 102

ILH

Agree about the coffee. Our 5 year old coffee maker broke - we were in a panic all week trying to find a suitable replacement for next week's trip.

We don't have any pets (wife's choice, not mine) - but two adolescent boys are more than enough for me to handle.:p

Grampafish

Washington Chapter Leaders-Retired
Glad the 1st night was fine. We're looking forward to meeting you in Temecula. We've put about 5,000 miles on our rig since we got it in May. Will have another 2 to 3k by early October.
Safe travels.

Mrsfish

I use to bring orthopedic beds for the dogs, made them nice and comfy in the garage. But more times then not the two of them squeeze themselves on the landing outside the bedroom door. So, I gave up on the garage for them.

we tried the beds on the floor for our girls, but finally gave up the fight and just got a king bed. Now the 4 of us sleep soundly!! :). Our old girl still sleeps on her bed, right In front of the window in the bedroom - we're convinced she thinks we put it there for her. It's been her spot since the minute she went n the trailer.

Ladiver

So, we found coffee at the office. It was not too bad. easier than bringing the coffee pot, but not sure if I will chance it in the future!

The dogs have a Doggie Lounger that they both share and we have a hard crate that we leave open. Even though we have the patio down and they have run of the garage and patio, they seem to want to be where the other one is.

Travelling with the birds is a little more difficult. Our Black Headed Caique is pretty good and travels well. His cage fits nicely in the master bedroom in the space between the closets. There is a window there too. While we our out in the garage area, he is normally with us on his carrier. The African Grey is a different story. Since she only has one leg (and fully flighted) we need to take a little more care with her. We have a full size cage in the garage that she stays in.

While driving, the dogs are crated and secured in the garage area. The birds are caged inside the cab of the truck with us. You would think we were some giant family with all of the stuff we carried with us. Surprise, just two people and 4 animals!!!!!! I think all in all the animals are enjoying themselves. I know we are too!

oldmannj

After 40+ years of driving a truck for a living ,I'd leave the camper home before I left the coffee pot!! LOL. Seriously , we use a keurig coffee maker. Does coffee or tea, hot chocolate, heck they even have a spiced apple cider available. Inside of 2 minutes your enjoying your beverage of choice and no trudging up to the CG office. ED.

pegmikef

On the up side, most KOA's have courtesy coffee in the office/store area. I hope that one does.

porthole

Retired
Jeff, for us the dogs ride in the truck. I made a platform for the back seat with 4" of foam covered by marine grade vinyl. 30" x 60" - who has it better then those two?

When we had our B&G we used a large dog carrier. I put a 1.5" roughed up wood dowel across the carrier that gave him enough room to stay secure on the perch. Although we never let him get full flighted in the summer, he could do what I call a crash and burn. Not enough lift to fly, just enough to get across a room, all downhill from whatever level he was at.

I had a custom made bird carrier in the traielr for him. It was a little small, but it was easy enough to travel with. He spent most of the day on top of it and only used the inside for sleep.

Our cat rides in the trailer. Spends most of the day on a cat bed looking out the window.

TXTiger

My dog, Layla, rides in the truck with me. I bought a harness with a strap that hooks into the seatbelt fastener. Layla just sits up looking out the window or curls up in a ball on the seat and sleeps. She is hooked in safe and secure.