ATF: North Trail - Replace built-in microwave with wall mount unit?

ScubaDan

For our 2013 32 RLTS North Trail -

I'd like to replace our small, built in High Pointe microwave with an over the range, wall-mounted microwave/convection oven. This could allow me to get rid of the hood over the range that also gets in the way.
My question is can I use the slide-out wall to hang this unit on the wall bracket (same way this is normally done in a house).

It would help if I had a drawing showing stud locations, I'm assuming these are aluminum studs on this wall.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Dan, I've considered doing the same thing in our Bighorn. Ours isn't on a slide wall but I also have concerns about the extra weight hanging from the cabinet. Residential cabinets have 3/4" bottoms that are used for bolting the microwave to the bottom of the cabinet as well as the wall bracket. Most residential cabinet makers are also using pocket screws or a better method of construction than the staples normally used in RV's. The majority of the weight of an undercabinet microwave is supported by the cabinet and the wall the cabinet is mounted to aaannnd the adjacent cabinets. It's all tied together.
Regarding the studs, Knocking might work but the easiest way to find them is on a cool damp night, go out early in the morning and look at the wall, the dry lines on the exterior walls are where the studs are located.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Adding to what Ray said, you can measure position of the studs shown by the morning moisture, and use a reference point to transfer the outside measurement to the inside. A window for example.
Also consider that if you now have a vent in the wall that the new wall hung unit may not be in the same place.

Peace
Dave

babycampers

ScubaDan, I feel your pain about the existing hood/micro as I have a '10 North Country with the same complaint. I just called Heartland to ask about doing the same change. Since mine is built with wood studs and the steel exterior, I was told I would have no problem changing because locating studs, removing interior paneling where necessary, and having adequate support overall would be easier vs. aluminum framed units. The low hung, mediocre Ventline hood we have been stuck with does us no favors when it comes to this remodel, does it?!!!! I am looking at using an angled duct and boxing around it from the inside to conceal it so that a new exterior vent will not have to be cut through the wall for the higher vent location. Wonder why Heartland and other manufacturers are still using the cheap hoods when there are such nice 12v hoods available, like the Camec I found online recently? Dear Heartland, can I give you some suggestions for designing kitchens, please?!!!

ScubaDan

Thanks for the replies, we decided on Plan B, which is to pull out the undersized propane oven/stove unit and replace with halftime oven/stove unit that we had in our last North Trail. Then we plan to just remove the upper microwave and ugly hood, and replace with a nicer hood, slightly higher, with some sheet metal ductwork that I'll install to direct the exhaust back to the existing vent hole. Will look at options to make the ductwork look nice or hide it. I like a challenge, will let you know how this turns out. The halftime units aren't available until November.