Here is why we bought an EMS

scottyb

Good point. I can remove the transfer switch/surge supressor and replace it with an EMS. Then, if in the future I put in a hard wired genny, I can just wire the transfer switch back in. Should make the wiring easier because all I should have to do is just disconnect one and connect the other. My guess is the wiring set up would be the same. No need to get new wires, etc.

Ronn you should be able to use the existing wiring and space if you remove the transfer switch. Let me know if you want to sell yours.

PI's installation guide gives both options of wiring the HW50C, before and after the transfer switch, but does not recommend one over the other.

Greengas

Thank you to everyone for the guidance. I'm pretty determined now to get an EMS and just replace the transfer switch. But sorry Scotty, I'm not going to sell because ya' never know. I will post pictures, etc, when I get around to getting this done. Oh, and thanks for letting me hijack this thread :)

DonnyB007

After reading a lot about the importance of getting a surge protector for my trailer, I decided to make the investment and got a good one. I came across two cases where the surge protector would not power my trailer.

The first case, I did some more testing and found out the post had an open neutral. The trailer next to me was plugged into the same post and the trailer owner was absent. I also discovered that my neighbor's trailer's skin was live! I went to the camp owner to point out the problems. He was really alarmed as the electrician just did work on our post two weeks ago. He thanked me profusely, unplugged my neighbor from the defective post and let me have a free night stay. I was off from his camp early in the morning anyway.

The second case was pretty bad and the post looked like a good 30 amp hookup too! My surge protector again refused to power on my trailer. I put my volt tester on the plugin and found out that the power was only averaging between 93 and 103 volts for god's sake. In this case, I had already paid my 2 week camp fee and when I pointed out the hydro problem to the camp owner, he refused to give me back my money. That meant that I would have to stay there without any air conditioning for two weeks as I had no generator. I decided that if he wanted to be a "****" then I would too and called the provincial power authorities about his camp. Once they arrived, I think he knew what was up and we spent a NASTY two weeks at his camp after that. But for the whole two weeks, I still did not get my power fixed to my post.

Anyway, the surge protector really paid for itself twice this past summer as I likely would have went ahead with plug ins in both cases to my trailer.

Last edited by a moderator: