How do I cover the sky light in the shower?

jimtoo

Moved and posted for Thenomads

We own a 2011 Big Horn, we work hard to protect the interior from sunlight by using aluminum bubble wrap insulation in the windows and foam covers in the vents. The sky light in the bathroom is a different story. Tried the 3M velcro but the heat generated around the skylight, from the california sun, causes it to come lose and the cover falls. Any suggestions out there. Tried putting this on the forum but couldn't figure out how to do it. LOL!!! Corey & M'Lissa

alex00

If your skylight is anything like the one in my SOB fiver there should be screws holding the interior skylight cover in place. If you build a small frame, like a picture frame, you could use swiveling tabs to hold a piece of wood or tinted plastic in place. When you use the shower or want sunlight you can remove the piece from the frame you installed.

priorguy

If your skylight is anything like the one in my SOB fiver there should be screws holding the interior skylight cover in place. If you build a small frame, like a picture frame, you could use swiveling tabs to hold a piece of wood or tinted plastic in place. When you use the shower or want sunlight you can remove the piece from the frame you installed.
Or you can expand and simplify Alex00's idea and use the lip of the skylight to pinch you velcro strips. Best of luck to you.

HappyKayakers

If you don't mind the Velcro strips being up there permanently, use Gorilla Glue to hold them. I used industrial strength Velcro on my underbelly to close an access panel that I'd cut. The strips started coming loose after a few months so I reapplied with Gorilla Glue. They've been holding strong for a few years now.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I took the inside part of the skylight out and cut a piece of the silver bubble insulation to fit the area. Then inserted the insulation up into the opening of the skylight. Put the inside part back up. It provides some insulation and blocks out the outside light.

BC

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
The Camco 45167 SunShield Reflective Door Window Cover is a perfect fit for the skylight. Pick up a Dritz Heavy Duty Snap Fastener Kit and remove the 5 screws on the skylight. Reattach the skylight screws through the male portion of the snap, hold the cover up in place, mark where the other side of the snaps should go. Using the included tools, apply the female portion of the snap to the cover. Karen

I think Karen has a great idea. This is on my "Honey Do" list.
Jamie

jimtoo

Or,,,You could install a hillbilly sun block.. Remove the 6 screws from the inside,,, drop it down,,, get the wife's roll of tin foil...lay a couple of pieces across the dome.. hold it place with a little duck tape. Lift it back up and put the same screws back in and ... No More Light comes in...:)

This is what I did and it works.

Jim M