ATF: Gateway - Slide damage during initial use

DMAN302

Vin number may infact be E266256, hard to read on the photo copy I have with me.

Wanted to make aware of our experience today. First I would like to note the exceptional service provided by Renaud RV in Harrow Ontario Canada. Our 2014 3650BH was preped and delivered in exceptional condition aside from a few cosmetic issues that the dealer noted and will repair as soon as able. However I would very much like to make your people aware of a potentially serious design issue that you should address...

After our new unit was dropped in place and level, my wife began to put the slides out. This was quite smooth untill she noticed the living room slide was not opening out and seemed to be stuck. She retracted all slides and began gain. Once again the living room slide would not continue out. At this point the neighbour rushed to indicate to us that the lower outside facia was bending outward. We rushed outside to check. Sure enough the metal was pushed out and upon looking underneath, the back slide rail end bracket and the bracket mounted to the slide running front to back were bent inward!!! The rep was called immediately as he was quite close by.

He noted the slide had become lodged on the door handle for the bunk room!!! The door had come adjar during transport and caught the slide preventing it from exiting the trailer...resulting in the outside damage as it tried to force itself out. The door in question is completely obscured by the slide when the side is in and in no way can you confirm the doors status without making your way over to the bunkhouse door to confirm it has not become adjar....most unexpected that a closed door would pop open during transit.

Now let me note right now..the dealer jumped to my assistance to correct the issue within hours as best he could..correcting the now misaligned slide and reworking the frame and slide brackets into useable shape untill new brackets arrive..also doing an exceptonal job minimizing a substantial cosmetic raised spot on the lower outer sheet metal. They should be commeded in calming a tearful wife and brilliantly saving the day!!

Now my reason for this long winded email...not to complain, infact I am overjoyed with the overall unit. My intent is simply to advise you of a possible serious issue that should be addressed. In my opinion you need to install a far more significant locking method for the bunkhouse door to prevent future damage. I will be installing a loop and hook style clasp on the door/frame to ensure it does not 'pop' open again...and obviously checking the rear door prior to slide opening. But with only one button for all slides and not being able to guarantee access to the rear door if the bunk area slides decide to open last..you really need to look at a methond to secure this door.

Thanks again for your time...please ignore my spelling and grammar, it's been a long day enjoying our new heartland trailer!!!

danemayer

Hi DMAN302,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. I'm sorry to hear that you had this problem and I hope the dealer gets everything straightened out to your satisfaction.

Thanks for taking the time to detail what happened so the factory can take a look at how to improve.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
DMAN302, Sorry to hear of the slide problem and happy to hear your dealer/rep is taking quick action to make things right.
Even though we had experienced a similar situation with cabinet doors prior to owning our Bighorn, we almost destroyed the interior slide fascia on the entertainment slide the first time out. Now we know to secure everything that can open or possibly get in the path of the slide out while traveling.
Enjoy your new rig!

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Both interior doors in our Landmark used to have a tendency to come open during transit. I believe it is because of the torqueing and twisting being exerted on the trailer when traveling down our wonderfully smooth highways :rolleyes:. I solved the problem by replacing the standard striker plates with oversized plates (they have larger openings for the striker to fit in to). These are available at almost any hardware store/home improvement store.