Backup Camera used as monitoring camera.

SailorDon

Do you ever wonder what is going on behind the rear bumper of your travel trailer? You know...., the place you can't see with your MaxTow mirrors.
This issue becomes even more important when double trailering. There is always the nagging question of "Is the second trailer still hitched on back there?"
Or maybe that second trailer lost a wheel 10 miles back, or maybe a wheel bearing siezed up 2 miles ago, or maybe LEO is tracking you, etc.

I put the camera/transmitter in the back window of my travel trailer. It gives an excellent view of the boat trailer hitched onto the bumper of the travel trailer.
No more wondering what is going on back there.

The only reason I put the monitor on the tractor was because it was a handy 12 VDC power source.
I think the metal roll over bar blocked a lot of the wireless signal strength.
If you have a roll over bar in your tow vehicle, you might want to remove it. :D

Although the image on the 3.5 inch monitor isn't crystal clear, it's good enough to show you what is going on back there.
In the video, the monitor is out in the bright sun. It gives a much better image when inside like in the photo below.

This particular wireless backup camera is about the cheapest I could find. About $100 at O'Reilly Auto Parts.

Last edited:

priorguy

That's a great idea. I hope it works for you on the highway because it could save you a lot of trouble and or money in the case of the incidents you describe or the loss of your boat into the grill of the tailgater behind you.

SailorDon

Update:

While testing the backup camera monitoring system at my storage location, leaving the system on for hours at a time, it went blank this morning.
14 days since I installed it, total hours used about 5, usually in hour long monitoring sessions.
Maybe this particular system is only good for occassional backup use.

I suspect the camera or transmitter malfunctioned. The monitor seemed to work OK, but it was just a blue screen.

It is still a good idea. I just have to find a more robust replacement wireless backup camera system that is up to the task of continuous duty.

I won't be trying PEAK wireless backup camera systems again.