New members from KS

Hello!
My husband and I (and our 3 kids, ages 7, 5, & 3) previously had an Excursion and towed a Tundra bunkhouse travel trailer. A month ago on our way home from a camping trip to Colorado we had our rear drivers side tire blow out, which caused us to lose control and roll off the road and into a ditch. My husband had various devices monitoring the engine and oil temps, etc, and sway control. We thought we had a pretty good and safe set up, the trailer was well under the Excursion's tow capacity etc... My husband almost had it under control, but the passenger front tire hit the edge of the pavement and apparently that was enough to pull the whole thing rolling into the ditch.

We all walked away from the crash, I was the only one with minor injuries (whiplash, back strain, head bumps, etc...didn't feel minor in the days after the crash, but it was!) To see the photos you would hardly believe we came out of it fairly ok. We lost the vehicle and trailer. Praise God we are ok, and it didn't happen while we were still in the mountains. (Happened just outside of Denver.). We all had our seat belts on and the kids were all properly restrained in car seats!

We discussed our options for replacement, and feel we want something VERY stable, so we recently purchased a Ford f350 diesel 4x4 with duallies.

Now we are looking at Heartland 5th wheels, and in particular the Torque toy haulers, trying to decide between models 301 & 321. Considered 325 but don't feel we need the second bathroom, would rather have the floor space. We ruled out bunkhouses this time because we like the versatility of the toy haulers, and the fact that we could carry our bikes & trikes back there.

Anyhow, I just wanted to post and say hello!

danemayer

Hi MelissaRose,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of helpful information here along with a great bunch of friendly people.

Your accident sounds pretty harrowing. Good to hear you all came through it ok. Most people agree that duallies are extremely stable tow vehicles, so it sounds like you've made a good choice there.

If you have any questions about the Torque or other toy haulers, don't hesitate to ask.

iawoody2

So glad you guys came out ok after such a terrible accident. Welcome to the forum.
From Bob and Pat in Iowa

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
So sorry for your experience, but glad you found your way to a Heartland product. Welcome to the family!

Erika

jpdoggett

Glad you are all ok. and welcome to the Heartland group. Where are you from in Kansas? we are in Kansas City, Kansas. Hope to see you on the road or at a rally some where