Roof sealant - Dicor? Pro flex?

MTPockets

An instruction sheet regarding my roof material said to 'not' use products with petroleum distillates. I need to go some caulking preventative maintenance, so I stopped in a Camping World to get some Dicor. All the Dicor product for roofs said it contains petroleum distillates. The label further stated that the product was not safe for use on some rubber roofs. What's up with that? I thought Dicor was 'the' sealant to use. I walked out with two tubes of Proflex - that label said nothing about petroleum ingredient. Does Heartland use different roofing for different models? What about all those here using Dicor? Are their roofs going to crumble?

brianharrison

Very good - yes Dicor Lap Sealants have petroleum distallates - check here for links to MSDSs. And no, the roofs are not going to crumble :).

As I understand it, the Lap Sealants are formulated with a specific formulation of petroleum distillates to ensure the EPDM does not devulcanize (ie break rubber bonds). Something about aromatic vs long chain - not all petroleum distillates are created equal.

Common, over the counter cleaning agents usually have petroleum distallates that are aggressive against rubber compounds, hence the generic warning for all EPDM roofs.

Hope this helps.
Brian

mobilcastle

I use dicor-haven't noticed a problem yet and I have owned more than one 5ver. i did replace a skylight and i was told dicor can make the plastic get spider cracks in it so I used a different sealant on it. It was specific to skylight installation. I can't remember the name.