Triple axle suspension upgrade

jasons09cyclone

Just waiting on the 6 leaf, springs to come in.. going to try and tackle replacing the bolts and shackles to a mor/ryde HD wet bolt kit. .. the stock equalizers to the mor/ryde CRE 333 kit.... and the stock leaf Springs that had 4 leafs to new Springs w/ 6 leafs. .. I Wanted to hear from others that have changed there's too. .. And if they are happy with doing so. ..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1378947719827.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1378947719827.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 184

CruzinCat

Have a 2011 34QSRL Elkridge and have changed to 6 leaf spring system. Not real happy at this point. Blew two tires on left side within 6 hours of each other. I am considering trying to go to a 3 axle system, and I'm looking for some input information.

Thanks

caissiel

Have a 2011 34QSRL Elkridge and have changed to 6 leaf spring system. Not real happy at this point. Blew two tires on left side within 6 hours of each other. I am considering trying to go to a 3 axle system, and I'm looking for some input information.

Thanks

Don't add 2 more tires to blow
Get 7k axles and LT LR G tires and you will be fin. Balance the tires like I did and you will be assured of trouble free towing.
My BC has been trouble free for 20k with no wear.

Sent from my U8666-51 using Tapatalk 2

GOTTOYS

I upgraded my springs to a 3300# spring, changed to wet bolts and replaced the Lippert equalizers with some Dexter equalizers with greasable bushings. I have also upgraded to a set of Michelin XPS Ribs. Had a quality alignment job done and it has never pulled better. CruizinCat don't waste your time and money trying to set it up as a tri-axle rig. The springs aren't causing your tires to blow out..How can they? It's the cheap tires. Get rid of the junk tires and put on a set of LTs. Any American made brand will work fine. Those that won't recommend them have never tried a set. They will solve all your problems...Don

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I upgraded my springs to a 3300# spring, changed to wet bolts and replaced the Lippert equalizers with some Dexter equalizers with greasable bushings. I have also upgraded to a set of Michelin XPS Ribs. Had a quality alignment job done and it has never pulled better. CruizinCat don't waste your time and money trying to set it up as a tri-axle rig. The springs aren't causing your tires to blow out..How can they? It's the cheap tires. Get rid of the junk tires and put on a set of LTs. Any American made brand will work fine. Those that won't recommend them have never tried a set. They will solve all your problems...Don

I agree, better tires would be first thing. Your wheels may not be rated for load range G higher psi, so check that first. Also get an alignment check, that can cause early tire failure issues as well.

We upgraded to Dexter 7k axles/brakes, emco springs, and run Maxxis tires on original rims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

wehavefun

We changed out our spring suspension to a Mor Ryde system, added disk brakes snd 17.5 tires.
WOW the 5th rides perfect! The confidence with disk brakes and 17.5 G114 is amazing!

Yup a bit pricey, however the smoother ride will add years to your unit, much less pounding around. EVERYTHING STAYS IN PLACE inside your unit. I couldn't be happier with my decision to go with MorRyde!

Brian

jasons09cyclone

Just some pics of the work being done.. I had to drop down to the next set of holes in the hangers to add the crossmembers.. Didn't realize that I would gaining about 5 inches of height after everything was done.. I'll see how it rides in a few...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1381733297.896451.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1381733297.896451.jpg
    401 KB · Views: 158
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1381733330.929201.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1381733330.929201.jpg
    433.8 KB · Views: 149
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1381733363.357352.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1381733363.357352.jpg
    422.3 KB · Views: 143
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1381733400.950595.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1381733400.950595.jpg
    440.7 KB · Views: 143
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1381733454.614898.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1381733454.614898.jpg
    440 KB · Views: 142
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1381733483.827073.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1381733483.827073.jpg
    347.8 KB · Views: 142

Stormvet

Hey Jason, looks like a nice job. can you tell me what the distance is on the leaf springs from hole to hole. I just had my suspension upgraded with the equa-flex in Jan. and took it back for inspection (doesn't look right) I'll see if I can load a couple of pics. Also the new 3rd axle has 4 leaf where the first 2 have 6.A)#1 axle dr. side.jpgB) #2 axle dr. side.jpgC) #3 axle dr. side.jpgSorry the pics posted in reverse order. Any thoughts out there? The distance between hangers is correct per Lippert, but I question the length of the leaf springs, doesn't look like theres room to move.

danemayer

Hey Jason, looks like a nice job. can you tell me what the distance is on the leaf springs from hole to hole. I just had my suspension upgraded with the equa-flex in Jan. and took it back for inspection (doesn't look right) I'll see if I can load a couple of pics. Also the new 3rd axle has 4 leaf where the first 2 have 6.View attachment 28924View attachment 28925View attachment 28926Sorry the pics posted in reverse order. Any thoughts out there? The distance between hangers is correct per Lippert, but I question the length of the leaf springs, doesn't look like theres room to move.
Stormvet,

Did you start with Dexter axle and suspension and put on a Lippert equalizer?

DW_Gray

Well, I guess I'm a little late. Here's my two cents. After installing the second and correct set of Equa Flex, I'm ready to take them off. They're a waste of money IMHO.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

jasons09cyclone

Sorry to hear that about your equa flex. What happened? So far so good with the cre I don't hear that deep thud from the trailer when going over a bump on the freeway. No creeks and knocks when I turn either. But only time will tell. My leafs were 26in long

jasons09cyclone

4upane8a.jpg

DW_Gray

Sorry to hear that about your equa flex. What happened? So far so good with the cre I don't hear that deep thud from the trailer when going over a bump on the freeway. No creeks and knocks when I turn either. But only time will tell. My leafs were 26in long

I was originally sold the wrong rating and two of the wrong ones at the Lippert plant in Rialto, CA. As I was about to arrive to the National Rally in Goshen last year, the middle axle shifted back to the rear axle and two tires rubbed creating a lot of smoke. (Five and six months later, those tires failed.) Although it was a lengthy process to solve, and thanks to Jim Beletti's suggestion, I ended up removing the Smart car from the garage. Then the axles separated enough so I could make the last 40 miles to Goshen. Amy followed driving the Smart the rest of the way to Goshen.

Since I had an appointment the following day at Lippert to install the 4 Point Level Up system, I showed Jerry (Lippert Tech) the problem and he realized right away I had the wrong units. In the process of replacing the units, Jerry also found a cracked front hanger. Lippert replaced and repaired the components at no charge. (Thank you, Lippert!)

But even with the new units, Amy and I have determined the Equa Flexes do not reduce vibration, nor soften the bounce. (At lest this is true for our rig.) From the beginning, we would find more things had fallen to the floor after each trip than before we had Equa Flex installed. Even items in closed door cabinets had shifted enough to the point we had to be careful when opening the door. We did not have these problems before Equa Flexes were installed.

I have talked to a couple of trailer frame and suspension mechanics and they think aftermarket products like Equa Flex is a gimmick.

Additionally, the big rubber disk aren't holding up.

If Equa Flex works well for you and others, great. As for me, I'm taking them off.

Last edited: