Stolen Power Cords Anyone?

stevenssr

I just got a new Heartland 5th wheel with a 50 amp detachable cord. One thing I never really worried about on the old trailer was getting the cord stolen because it was wired to the trailer. These new cords could be easily stolen and they are very expensive. Just wondering if anyone has ever had a cord stolen. While the trailer is in a storage facility (and connected to power to keep the battery charged) I'm going to get one of those short cords that go to a 15 amp regular 3 prong plug, so my big cord is not out and exposed. I was wondering if anyone else has had a cord stolen while in storage or just out in the driveway.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Can't say there's been many, if any, occurrences of that reported on this forum. Break ins and electronics being taken is more common.

dbbls59

I leave my cord at home when in storage too. Good idea to get a cheap cord to use while in storage.

HappyKayakers

Check out RV.net sometimes. Sometimes power cords get stolen from storage facilities whether they're plugged in or not. Sometimes electronics are stolen from inside. I suppose it depends on who the thief has a better relationship with - the local fence or the local recycler. I've been fulltiming for 7+ years. There have been numerous times when I was away from the RV, sometimes for several days, when anyone could have just walked up and disconnected my power cord and surge suppressor and walked off with it. I can't say it will never happen but it hasn't happened yet.

Greengas

Two years with SOB 5'er and detachable 50amp cord and no problem. I've heard of the cords being stolen from RV dealer's lots more often than from personal RVs. Not sure why, but...

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
While looking at new RV recently at Camping World in Katy TX there were several of the units we looked at missing TVs but none were missing power cords. The salesman told us they get TVs stolen from inside their RVs quite frequently. It was kind of strange that on the larger TVs were missing (32" and larger). The smaller TVs (19") were still there.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Having had both TV's stolen (amongst 15 other RV's hit in the same night/storage yard), I can attest to thieves liking TV's over power cords. TV's and electronics can be fenced quickly, where as the copper from the power cords has to be "processed." Scrap yards don't want the rubber/vinyl covering on the cords since they pay based on weight, so the thief has to strip it.

dhcolesj

When I first saw the subject on this thread, I thought you were selling or giving away such cords. :D
I thought they would remove the TVs and store them in a better / more secure facility at the dealer. I never thought to ask if they had been stolen.

priorguy

Most of the dealers I've been to in supposedly "low crime rate" Canada remove the TV's, stereos, and sometimes appliances from all their coaches to prevent theft. They even post signage to hopefully prevent thieves from even entering so they hopefully don't have to repair locks or windows as well as replacing stolen valuables. There was a huge problem in Gatineau Quebec a few years back where thieves were stealing the catalytic converters off hundreds of new cars on dealer lots in a night to sell the platinum inside.

stevenssr

Doesn't sound like a big problem which is good. And no, I'm not a power cord salesman. lol. Thanks everyone for the responses! :)

Wmnmy

Two years with SOB 5'er and detachable 50amp cord and no problem. I've heard of the cords being stolen from RV dealer's lots more often than from personal RVs. Not sure why, but...
you are absolutely right my cord was stolen from the rv lot that let me stay for two days for my shake down after my PDI the dealer made good but it wasn't their fault that was in 2010 I just got the elkridge from a cyclone and the first thing I did was chain and lock it to my rear bumper that way I can hear if it moves metal on metal is loud at night lol.

happykraut

My cord is attached on our rig, but in the past, I have put padlocks on the power pedestal when possible.