Looking at Bighorn 3670RL

dgarwood

My wife and I are looking at purchasing a new Bighorn 5th wheel in the next couple of months and going full time in it. We have been very impressed with the 3670RL and will be towing it with a 2005 Ford F-250 Crewcab short box. I plan to get a slider hitch for those times when it really will be needed. I would like to ask few questions:

1. Is there a battery disconnect switch to preserve the battery when the trailer is in storage?

2. How does this size of trailer pull? I have towed a 32 foot Collins and it was a dream.

3. In general how do owners like this trailer?

4. Anything in particular to look out for?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Dan

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Dan, we don't have a 3670 but have seen and liked the floorplan. We would get the Queen bed though for more room on the sides because of the side isle bath. My wife loves the kitchen. There have been loads of good comments on the 3670. Our 3400 does not have a battery disconnect but they are easy to install. But if you're full timing it, when would you store it? Heartland trailers tow very well even in windy conditions because of the front cap design. Also because of the front cap, you won't really need a slider hitch. The only thing you may have issues with and I don't mean to sound like the weight police here, but, you'll be stretching the limits of an F250 with the 3670. I'm not saying it can't be done as I'm sure ther are others doing it. It is a heavier trailer though.

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
My wife and I currently live in a 3670, full time. We have no issues with the trailer at all. My wife loves her kitchen and would not settle for anything less. The minute she walked in the door, she said "I have found my home". I pull it with a GMC 2500HD, with no issues, other than what has already been stated. I have a Husky 16,000k sliding hitch and have never had the need to use it. I believe that, with the Heartland front cap design, one could tow this trailer with a standard non-sliding hitch in any short bed truck. We do not have it loaded to it's full capacity, so we have not exceeded the GCW of the truck. If there is an issue it is with the pin weight. I have installed Firestone Ride-rite air bags, solely for the purpose of leveling out the truck. Keep in mind that the air bags do not increase the GVWR of the truck at all, but do assist in getting rid of a the squat on the rear end and leveling the truck out.
It pulls like a dream and there have been no issues whatsoever. We looked at a lot of different units and lived in an older unit, for a few months, so that we could see what we wanted and didn't want out of our home. Heartland was the only manufacturer that offered what we wanted, at the price that we wanted to pay. I cannot imagine that you will be disappointed with this trailer, in any way. Having said that, we have had a few minor issues, as you would have with any one that you buy. But the factory has been great and been very responsive.
In short, we love our home and have never regretted buying it.

Ron Schoner

Tin Star
Dan, Becky and I have a 3670RL and we love it. As everyone else said. Becky loves the kitchen. Its just like home. It is easy to pull! Has more storage then any other 5er I have seen.

I ordered our 3670 with two batteries and it came with a battery switch. I do a lot of Civil War Reenactments and dry camp. The two batteries plus two Honda 2000i generators keep me fixed for the weekends.

Good luck with yours. We have had NO problems. (Knock on wood!).

See ya on the road.

Ron

Oldlthrnecksgirl

Hisyoungercuterwife
Ray made a very good point about the bed. Unless you absolutely want a king size bed, I would suggest ordering it with a queen size. The king size doesn't give you enough room to make up the bed. I'm talking, not even enough room to squeeze the sheets and quilt between the mattress and the wall. Not to mention the price difference between king and queen size sheets. My husband cut down our king size because we bought it off the lot and it is amazing how much roomier the bedroom seems now.

Oldlthrneck is my husband and already mentioned a lot of the good points, lol,,, Elizabeth

jimtoo

Hi Dan,
We have a 3055, our second one to own, but when we purchased the second one the 3670 was a new model and we just did not want to change. But now we kinda wished we would have gone with the new 3670. The kitchen in the 3670 is great and I'm sure you will love the unit. And like was posted before, unless you really need the king bed, I would go with the queen bed. It just gives you a little more needed room between the bed and frt closet.
Jim

billd

We own a 2007 3670 and love it. The bedroom, side asile bath and kitchen sold us on this one. Coley was great to talk to at the Pomona RV show to get information on it and that helped make the decision.

Bill

Golfgar4

We're going to sign the papers on a 3670RL tomorrow, and we're very excited. We're actually going from a 40' Class A diesel pusher to the 5ver because we want more living space. I'm also tired of taking care of 2 engines, 2 transmissions, etc.

I guess we'll be trying to live with the king bed for awhile. We've been wanting one for sometime, and we even discussed king vs. queen while we were looking. In a few months I'll probably post a "I should've listened to you all!" post that is typed with bruised knuckles! :rolleyes:

By the way, I just joined the forum tonight so that I can start learning more about our new home.

Golfgar4

Hello! New member here.

We're signing the papers on a 2007 3670RL tomorrow morning. And my wife had pretty much the same reaction when she saw the kitchen. It is nice.

We're actually trading in a 2002 40' diesel pusher so that we have more living space and fewer things to worry about. Like 2 engines, 2 transmissions, etc.

We're very excited about getting the Big Horn, although we are little concerned about moving all of our stuff into the 5ver. I know it has just about the most amount of storage space on the market, but we had a ton of storage in the MH. Should be interesting!

I'm looking forward to participating in this forum so that we can learn more about our new home.

Golfgar4

Well, our deal fell through the morning we were going to sign the papers. Seems that the dealer - NOT a Heartland dealer - decided that we were making out better than he was. So he started screwing around with the numbers.

To make a long story short, we told the guy that we didn't appreciate being jerked around, lied to, and havingthe product misrepresented. He actually couldn't believe that we wouldn't deal with him anymore, and even said that we'd regret walking away.

But the one thing that we didn't walk away from is that we are VERY impressed with the Big Horn, especially the 3670RL floorplan. We'll continue to search for another one.

jbeletti

Hi Garry,

Sorry to hear your deal fell through. There's a lot of dealers out there. You'll find one that fits for you.

Jim

sleeps2

Dave and Julia
We have fallen in love with the 3670RL and have a good working relationship with our nearest Big Horn dealer in La Grange, MO. We have purchased 4 units from them over the years. We will be full-timing in the next 12-18 months and will be ordering a 3670 to live in and enjoy. We plan on pulling it with a Dodge Crew Cab DRW long bed with the 6.7l Cummins and the 68RFE 6 speed auto. Hope you find another 3670 soon.

Golfgar4

Jim and Sleeps2, thanks for the well wishes. We've found two dealers that are reasonably close. We're located just outside of Parker, AZ, and one dealer is in Phoenix and one is in Las Vegas. But we're going back to Wisconsin for Christmas, so we won't have a chance to get to either one until after we return. Both dealers have a 3670 on their lots.

We've been full timing for the last 2 years in a 40' Class A with 2 slides, and we definitely want more living space. The 3670 is just what the doctor ordered.

grizzlygiant

Lakeshore RV in Muskegon, MI will cut you a good deal on a Bighorn; you have to talk a bit to get the best price but once you have the quote, they will produce. Watch out for the dealer-added items; they are usuallly overpriced.

My wife and I used this model for a full summer. We started in June and ended in October. We traveled over 15,000 miles and were very well pleased overall. We did not pull the trailer all those miles, but we did put almost 5,000 miles on it. Many of the others mentioned small things and we had those also. We found out what tree limbs will do to the roof, and of course, the fenders blowing in the wind caused them to break, but the company we purchased it from has taken care of everything that we had a problem with. We found out that we took a lot more than we needed, so it will be much lighter next summer. We do have the battery disconnect, but it is still a good idea to remove the cables. We did experience a problem with blowing fuses, but part of the panel was wired wrong, but a gentleman in California fixed it for us, quickly and very reasonable. We are now winter Texans and summer Montanans and points here and there. If fuel costs keep going up, we may not pull the trailer as far for awhile.
Don't be afraid of the Big Horn, it pulls very nicely with our 07 Silverado long box. More than enough power. Happy trails.
D Denny

Golfgar4

We stopped at a Las Vegas dealer on our way back from our Christmas trip, and lo and behold, we found an '09 3670! What a surprise. We talked with the dealer, and because of a couple of things that we'd like added, they're going to check with the factory to see if there's a 3670 sitting on their lot that fits our request. If they do, the dealer could have it in 4 - 5 days. We'll hear tomorrow if we can get it. It'd be great if it works out, because we could have the whole deal wrapped up before the end of the month!

We're really getting excited about this possibility.

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
New to the forum. Will be getting Big Horn 3670 within the next month. Going to be looking at a 2008 fully loaded, 6 months old and a new 2009 loaded with all options except W&D. Will be making decision on which one in about a week.
Been waiting for a long time to get the Big Horn and really looking forward to getting it.

foleyhs

Thanks everyone, purchased a 3670 in Oct. Havent taken delivery yet as not into winter camping. Will pu in May and hope to have nothing but fun with it