Possible Design Flaw

Birchwood

The bottom rubber ( 2 in flap ) on my off door slide destroys itself when the flap comes in on top of the slide rollers.It only took a year for us and the rubber was torn at the roller locations to a point that you could see the sun shining in.I just replaced the rubber and don't want it to happen again.Checked under the rubber of a new 2014 Landmark and now they have a piece of metal sort of over the rollers but can't see how this would work.Has anyone had similar experiences with this slide rubber?

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Yes I have had the same problem on my Key Largo. Solution was to install new rubber trip and mount it a bit lower than the original. AThe original sounds like it was installed to high and is getting caught on rollers when rolling in slide. It worked for us.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We had some work done on our bedroom slide and shortly after, had this same issue. At Goshen, HL replaced the rubber sweep again and lowered it, now no problems with it getting "eaten".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Found ours in tatters a couple months ago. I replaced it but didn't spend much time trying to figure out why. Now I have something to look for. Thank you!

Birchwood

Yes I have had the same problem on my Key Largo. Solution was to install new rubber trip and mount it a bit lower than the original. AThe original sounds like it was installed to high and is getting caught on rollers when rolling in slide. It worked for us.

Thanks for the reply and I did think of lowering the entire rubber but the only thing is the bubble rubber won't line up with the bubble rubber on the outside of the slide .When its closed I guess they would make a tight seal but maybe that's not important.I may lower the seal as the double pieces I installed at the rollers may stress the slide.I wish someone would explain the metal covers at the rollers on the 2014s

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Look and see if they have a smaller squeege rubber seal

Murry135/Capt. Wingnut

davebennington

I replaced all of the rubber sweeps as well as the "D" seals on our unit. I did not find out until later that there are different sizes of slide sweeps. Call Heartland customer service, have your vin number handy and I believe they will get you the right one, they did for me.

dave

Birchwood

Murry135... I used your suggestion and reinstalled the rubber seal a bit lower and now it works fine with no damage to the rubber.The seal is also high enough there are no gaps at the bottom of slide.Thanks so much for your solution.