Big Horn generator

5er

Hello, I have been reading this forum for several moths a have learned a lot. This is my first post. I have a 2010 Big Horn 3055 and I am going to install an Onan 5500 gas generator. I have a 15 gallon metal gas tank and was wondering what y'all think about installing it next to the generator. Thank you for your thoughts.

danemayer

Hi 5er,

Welcome to the posting side of forum life. You'll no doubt get some opinions on this from other owners shortly.

5er

Thank you, I am looking forward to their opinions. This tank is a purchased fuel cell with all the proper ventilation and will be hard mounted about 8" away from the generator.

Like these: http://www.standardtechn.com/products/rvSystems.html

It will be mounted about 8" away from the generator.

I could install a metal wall between if necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:

porthole

Retired
Where did you find pricing for the Standard tanks?

I sure wish the option of generators included the option of a frame mounted fuel cell as is used on the Toy Haulers.
Sure is nice having an independant 25 gallons of gasoline for genny use and not have to worry about running out of propane. And gasoline is easier to obtain.

Have you looked at the underside rear of the trailer? To see if there is room in the frame?

Personally, I don't think I would put a seperate fuel tank in the front compartment with the genny, unless it was diesel.

5er

The fuel cell was $200.00. I bought the fuel cell and generator from my local Onan dealer. I hope 15 gallons will be okay. I do have plenty of room in the frame to put a tank as big as I want and may do that later if this tank is not big enough for how we camp.

5er

Does anyone else have this type of setup with a generator and if so, how has it worked for you?

photo 3.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 5.JPGphoto 1.JPGphoto 4.JPG

My manual transfer switch. Just gotta remember to "transfer" it.

danemayer

Does anyone else have this type of setup with a generator and if so, how has it worked for you?

5er,

You might be the first. This idea was discussed sometime in the past year without anyone even getting as far as you have in finding a fuel cell. I recall the owner who wanted to do it gave up on the idea.

scottyb

The factory generators are in a seperate sealed metal box inside the cargo bay, with the bottom of expanded metal. All the ventilation comes from outside the unit. I'm sure that this heat shield keeps a good deal of heat out of the front cargo area.

Attachments

• IMAG0372.jpg
    IMAG0372.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 66

5er

whp,
the tank is vented with a port on top behind the fill cap. The vent hose runs up and out the front of the RV and has a screen on it.

5er

scottyb,
The generator and the fuel cell are in a metal gen prep box seperate from the cargo area. The generator came with a template to use for cutting the floor. The fresh air and exhaust are in and out the bottom. My biggest concern has been the temperature of the fuel cell so I put some insulation on the side of it. I checked the temperatues today, it was 94 here and after the genny ran for 5 hours I raised the door and read 134 on the side of the genny and 110 on the top of the fuel cell.

5er

danemayer,

I can believe that. There is very little information out there on putting a gasoline generator in a fifth wheel. Most use LP or if it's gas, they already have a fuel tank (toy hauler).

hoefler

You need to have the generator in a steel box separating it from the rest of the coach for 2 reasons, 1 carbon monoxide, 2 fire. That is why you should not have the fuel tank in the same compartment. When I installed mine, I carry a 6 gallon steel portable outboard motor boat tank. We use it when we stop to site see/shop and want the A/C for the dogs on hot days. I have a custom 24 gallon tank I mount in the truck for extended stays.

5er

Thanks hoefler, I can have a sheet metal shop make a custom box to go around the generator, I have read that the generator only needs 1/2" clearance. Where do you store your 6 gallon tank when you are shopping?

hoefler

Thanks hoefler, I can have a sheet metal shop make a custom box to go around the generator, I have read that the generator only needs 1/2" clearance. Where do you store your 6 gallon tank when you are shopping?
I chain it to the receiver safety chain loop on the truck. You could give it a little more room just to get in to service it. I made a frame for my cover out of light angle iron and covered it with 14ga sheet metal. I also made it into 2 pieces for ease of removal and installation. I made it heavy enough to store stuff on top of it. I'll try and get some pictures for you.

5er

I sure would appreciate those pictures. We were a little disappointed that we lost our storage in the front.

hoefler

As promised, pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_20130921_140002_376.jpg
    IMG_20130921_140002_376.jpg
    373 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20130921_140025_313.jpg
    IMG_20130921_140025_313.jpg
    446.5 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20130921_140121_397.jpg
    IMG_20130921_140121_397.jpg
    372 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20130921_140133_735.jpg
    IMG_20130921_140133_735.jpg
    324.1 KB · Views: 64

5er

Man, I like that, we can get some storage back and it will make it safer. Our compartment is too hot the way it is. You did a very nice job. Thank you very much, a picture is worth a thousand words.