Alaska

Grey Ghost

Three (couples) headed to Alaska from Phoenix, AZ next year in August. Anyone out there travel through Alaska before? If so any recommendation as to where to go, where to stay, crossing the boarder in Canada problems. We are planning on being gone about eight (8) weeks or so, **** I just might stay, Phoenix gets a bit warm during the summer:cool:. However, I'm from Nebraska so I do remember cold and the reason I'm now living in the desert, lots of heat, no rain, no snow and no humidity. Everyone to their own I suppose. Anyhow, if you have traveled through the great state of Alaska we would love to hear of your adventures and experiences.

DuaneG

I know many groups have went. Try searching for Alaska in the forum and you may get a lot of info. Have fun on your trip.

MTPockets

We were there in 2011. Depends on your interest. For sure visit Denali - make reservations for campground and bus tour into interior. Go to Homer, Whittier, Chicken - we thought Anchorage was a waste of time. Lot's more. Oh, get The Milepost - a book you will be glad you had it. Has everything you need to know, mile by mile thru Canada and Alaska. Link to our Alaska blog www.Rainwatertravel.blogspot.com for some of our stuff.

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
We were there several years ago and one spot I really liked was Valdez. We travelled up through Dawson City then acroos the Top of The World highway down to Chicken. Enjoy. Doug

happykraut

I was wondering why you're leaving so late in the season. The Riverboat Discovery in Fairbanks was nice, bus ride into Denali, Halibut fishing out of the Homer Spit. As Doug mentioned, Valdeze was enjoyable. Go over to the fish hatchery and watch the bear fish for salmon. The dinner cruise out of Seward was great. Saw whales up close and a glacier that was calving every few minutes. All the prime and salmon you could eat. White Pass and Yukon train ride out of Skagway. Looked for Sarahs house in Wasilla. Top Of The World Hwy to Chicken was quite a trip. 80 mi of not so good roads with lots of it in dirt. Many more places to visit which I'm sure will be mentioned. And yes, don't travel without the Milepost. Enjoy.

scottyb

Oh man, you have hit a nerve. This is the #1 trip on my bucket list. I haven't been back since I was in Anchorage 35 years ago, for the pipeline.

aatauses

You have received several suggestions of great places. We workamped in Kenai at the Diamond M Ranch for the summer of 2012, enjoyed the country so much we stayed for the winter and then just came back to the lower 48 this past JUL. The Diamond M ranch RV is a great place to stay and they can book rafting, fishing, sightseeing, etc. Part of your trip is to enjoy the ride, stop often, enjoy the people and smell the roses!! I would be glad to answer specific questions/concerns you may have--send me a PM.
al
currently in the Tetons

57chevyconvt

Go Early and stay Late. Don't rush through Canada just to get to Alaska. Some of the most beautiful places on the trip will be found in Northern Canada. The Canadian Government has a website that will tell you all you need to know about border crossing rules and regulations, you will need a current Passport. Be sure to go to Lake Louise on your way up through Canada. From my perspective, start your journey in early June and take your time to enjoy what is/was for most of us, a once in a lifetime trip.

MikeR

Definetly take your time through Canada. That way you'll get better fuel mileage. Diesel or gas is sold by the liter and is more expensive than in the states. You'll also be going in and out of Canada more than once.

anita

We drove from Oceanside CA to Alaska in May 2010. Left the end of May. We made reservations all the way through. However, probably a mistake in the long run. There are always campgrounds that are available. Also, if you end up wanting to stay longer in one place you can't If you are planning on staying on a holiday, I would made reservations. Here's a copy of our trip:

May 23-Las Vegas, NV
May 24-25 Marysvale, UT
May 26-27 Park CIty, UT
May 28-31 Yellowstone, MT
June 1-Great Falls, ID
June 2-Milk River, AB
June 3-5 Banff, AB
June 6 Edmonton, AB
June 7 Valleyview, AB
June 8 Charlie Lake, BC
June 9 Ft. Nelson, BC
June 10 Muncho Lake, BC
June 11 Laird River, BC
June 12 Watson Lake, YT
June 13-15 Whitehorse, YT
June 16 Destruction Bay, YT
June 17 Tok, AK
June 18-21 Fairbanks, AK
June 22-23 Healy, AK
June 24-26 Denali National Park, AK
June 27-28 Talkeetna, AK
June 29 Eagle River, AK
June 30-July 2-Ninilchik, AK
July 3-5 Homer, AK
July 6-9 Seward, AK
July 10-11 Whitter, AK
July 12-Palmer, AK
July 13-Tok, AK
July 14-15 Chicken, AK
July 16-Tok for the Third Time
July 17-Destruction Bay, YT
July 18-Whitehorse, YT
July 19-Boya Lake BC
July 20-Kinaskan, BC
July 21-22-Hyder, AK
July 23 Prince George, BC
July 24-26 Quesnel, BC
July 27 Cache Lake, BC

I would try to leave earlier if I were you. I lived in Alaska for more than 20 yrs. and June tends to be the best month for weather.

jjwink

We made this trip 2 years ago from the Goshen rally. Dave Yocum and Julie Hancock made their trip the same time and were just a few days away from us all the trip. Definitely need to start trip in June through the Canadian Rockies. Take your time. We were with a caravan for the 45 days in Alaska doing the Great Circle. Our entire trip from TN to Alaska and back to TN took us 3 months.

davebennington

Just as Jerry & Judy said we went to Alaska about the same time. My suggestions would be something like this, depending on the amount of time & money you have available. First I would leave in the April/May time frame, stay longer. Second I would NOT use a caravan as they are on a schedule that may not agree with yours. Finally traveling to Alaska by RV is the only way to see the last frontier.
Feel free to email or PM me if I can answer any of your questions/concerns.

dave