Traveling from place to place in freezing weather.

tljack

My wife and I have been talking about what to do if we get caught in really cold weather when heading to a warm area. Can we tow our 5th wheel with the furnace and hot water heater on?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
We leave home around the first of January. Last year it was 8°. Our next stop it was 20°.
We have our heat on at home while we are packing for a day or two.
We turn it off when we travel. Then turn it on at our next stop, but always off when we travel.
The water system is winterized till we get to the warm weather.

Peace
Dave

dbbls59

I have traveled with my furnace on. Only turned the water heater on occasionally. Water heater is well insulated and the back side in a heated compartment.

brianharrison

I travelled once through really cold weather and froze up the washer water connections in the bedroom closet (cold on the cap and inside the closet where there is little air circulation). I had to replace the plastic washer inlet valves that cracked. Units plumbed for washer/dryer in front closet in the cap area may have similar concern.

I would also be concerned with the plumbing running in the underbelly (valves on grey/black tanks) as well. A leak in one of my valves and the water backup behind the drain connection all froze as well.

I had my furnace running and it did not prevent the above problems.

Brian

GOTTOYS

We leave in January from the Midwest and head south. Our rig is winterized and we carry 5-10 gallons of water in a couple jugs to use for flushing the toilet and washing. We always use bottled water for drinking. It works well for us as we can usually make it far enough south to de-winterize in a couple days. Don

brianharrison

How cold was "really cold"?

We hit a section of weather that read 5F on the truck thermometer. That was an interesting day travelling through Montana. Went from 55F in the morning, to 5F for that stretch, and back to 35F when we ended the day.

Brian

Theresau

Ditto here. We carry water for flushing the toilet along the way - do this minimally. We watch the weather so that we have good travel days.

We leave home around the first of January. Last year it was 8°. Our next stop it was 20°.
We have our heat on at home while we are packing for a day or two.
We turn it off when we travel. Then turn it on at our next stop, but always off when we travel.
The water system is winterized till we get to the warm weather.

Peace
Dave

Birchwood

Cold weather is stressful for an RVer.When we leave New Brunswick Canada Nov 1 we could have some snow but like Cookie at the end of the day when we reach Salisbury,Mass.its warm again.Not sure if its recommended to travel with the furnace on but would be interested to know.

tljack

We are in Montana now. and are working our way out. Hope we can avoid any real big problems. We are not in a position to "winterize".

BruteForce

I take the 5'er out regularly in subzero temps and I've run the furnace and water heater while towing - never an issue. Better to arrive with a warm and non-frozen interior (and water lines) than not..