Cyclone 3110. How does 2 axles rated 7000lb ea. make 16,000 lb GVWR

extreme

I Purchased the Cyclone 3110 with a GVWR rating of 16,000 lb but The axle rating is for 7,000 lbs. ea. There are 2 axles, that would be 14,000 lbs total, no ?
Does'nt that mean that my max. GVWR would 14,000 lbs ?
Kinda confused. Does anyone have an answer ?
Thanks,Frenchie

travis_g

I think part of the weight is considered to be on the pinbox.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

danemayer

Hi extreme,

Congratulations on your new Cyclone and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Part of the weight of the trailer rests on the wheels and axles, and part rests on the hitch. On Fifth Wheels, the hitch is usually carrying around 18-20% of the Gross Vehicle Weight. So with a 16,000 lb GVWR, when fully loaded, you probably have around 3,000 lbs on the hitch and 13,000 on the wheels/axles.

On toy haulers, if you put enough weight in the garage, you may end up with a bit less on the hitch. So maybe when fully loaded you might have 2,500 on the hitch and 13,500 on the wheels/axles.

One thing to know is that the weight may not be evenly distributed on the wheels. So one axle could be carrying 6,500 and the other 6,000. On an axle carrying 6,500 lbs, one wheel could be carrying 3,350 and the other on that axle 3,150.

If you have an opportunity to get the rig weighed with individual wheel weights, you should take advantage of it so you know what you're dealing with and can make sure you're not overloaded on any of the wheels or on the rear axle of the truck.

extreme

OK, Great. That makes me feel better now. lol. I did not want to start a new adventure overloaded from the start. I got a lot to learn. This is our first time to Fifth wheel toy hauling. Even though nervous about the whole thing we are excited about going from a 36' Bounder to a Toy hauler. I think my wife will be happy to no have to look at all my toys ( or junk ) and I am happy to have a place to do repairs & fiddle around.

extreme

Thank you everyone. Got a lot to learn. We are excited but nervous since it is our first time with fifth wheel & Toy haulers. We are going from a 2001,36 ' Bounder Motorhome and my wife will be happy to not have to look at all my junk and i am looking forward to have a garage to fiddle around and do my repairs. The Party deck with awning and clear plexiglass rear wall is also a great feature. I should be delivered from Ohio on Monday or so to the Crater Lake area of Oregon.
Thanks again, Frenchie

retirie

retired investigator
my 3010 has about 2200 lbs on the hitch. it weighs 12000 + 3400 cargo,h2o,etc= 15400-2200=13400on axels and that is if none of the 3400 is added to hitch. hope this helps.

CrazyCooter

Depending on how you're rig is optioned, what gets loaded into the garage, and if you travel wet.....you could very well end up over on the axles. Best to check it on the scale before heading out. You model has a rather low CCC when compared to the other two axle Cyclones.

Mine has been 3,150 on the pin and 14,550 on the axles WITHOUT either of the fuel tanks filled, less than 1/2 water, with Can Am Maverick and KTM 525 in the garage. It adds up fast! I'm adding a third axle as soon as all the parts come together.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Depending on how you're rig is optioned, what gets loaded into the garage, and if you travel wet.....you could very well end up over on the axles. Best to check it on the scale before heading out. You model has a rather low CCC when compared to the other two axle Cyclones.

Mine has been 3,150 on the pin and 14,550 on the axles WITHOUT either of the fuel tanks filled, less than 1/2 water, with Can Am Maverick and KTM 525 in the garage. It adds up fast! I'm adding a third axle as soon as all the parts come together.

Where are you adding a 3rd axle? I been wanting to do this myself but I have found that the 3rd axle should be set on the rear, yet the rear door is obstructing this. So are you moving the axles forward to make the room to do this??

But the 300C should have been a Trip Axle in my opinion as well.

How the heck are you fitting a Maverick and 525 in a 10ft garage? I have just a few inches to spare with my 900xp in there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

Birchwood

I Purchased the Cyclone 3110 with a GVWR rating of 16,000 lb but The axle rating is for 7,000 lbs. ea. There are 2 axles, that would be 14,000 lbs total, no ?
Does'nt that mean that my max. GVWR would 14,000 lbs ?
Kinda confused. Does anyone have an answer ?
Thanks,Frenchie
Yes,20 percent of the weight is on the truck 3200lbs .... If fully loaded 12800lbs on the trailer axles.

CrazyCooter

Where are you adding a 3rd axle? I been wanting to do this myself but I have found that the 3rd axle should be set on the rear, yet the rear door is obstructing this. So are you moving the axles forward to make the room to do this??

But the 300C should have been a Trip Axle in my opinion as well.

How the heck are you fitting a Maverick and 525 in a 10ft garage? I have just a few inches to spare with my 900xp in there.

Yep, moving the axle group forward and shortening axle spacing to 33". Should end up with the wheelbase 8-11" longer. Looking for more stability and braking out of the deal. The problem is like you said, the rear door and also the telescoping slide tube on the left side. I'm raising the suspension another 3/4" to allow additional clearance, but may have to limit up travel of the center axle some.

For 90% of the people out there, the 300 works as a tandem axle, but then there is us.... In theory, it has plenty of CCC right out of the box if the OE tires were better and the wheelbase was a little longer things would be a whole lot better. But then it would absolutely require a dually to pull it and that would limit sales.

I have had the 525XC in there with both a RZR S and the Can Am once. It was a pain to load it had to be stood up on end, fuel draind, front tires removed, and strapped against the wall. I built a swivel wheel trailer to make it easier, but that added some more axle weight and a little more wiggle to the combo than I liked. The extra axle should remedy this condition.

Yes,20 percent of the weight is on the truck 3200lbs .... If fully loaded 12800lbs on the trailer axles.

In theory that's how is should work, but never does.......

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Yep, moving the axle group forward and shortening axle spacing to 33". Should end up with the wheelbase 8-11" longer. Looking for more stability and braking out of the deal. The problem is like you said, the rear door and also the telescoping slide tube on the left side. I'm raising the suspension another 3/4" to allow additional clearance, but may have to limit up travel of the center axle some.

For 90% of the people out there, the 300 works as a tandem axle, but then there is us.... In theory, it has plenty of CCC right out of the box if the OE tires were better and the wheelbase was a little longer things would be a whole lot better. But then it would absolutely require a dually to pull it and that would limit sales.

I have had the 525XC in there with both a RZR S and the Can Am once. It was a pain to load it had to be stood up on end, fuel draind, front tires removed, and strapped against the wall. I built a swivel wheel trailer to make it easier, but that added some more axle weight and a little more wiggle to the combo than I liked. The extra axle should remedy this condition.

In theory that's how is should work, but never does.......

I look forward to seeing the progress and final results. As much as I want to do this I have to wait until our house is built and then once I have enough money to build a shop. But on the same note I am not sure how much longer I will own this trailer after I reach a point that I have a shop to do this.

Though I just hate how this trailer tows. Like a wet noodle flagging in the wind with any substantial weight in the garage.

CrazyCooter

mattpo450 said:
I look fmembers o seeing the progress and final results. As much as I want to do this I have to wait until our house is built and then once I have enough money to build a shop. But on the same note I am not sure how much longer I will own this trailer after I reach a point that I have a shop to do this.

Though I just hate how this trailer tows. Like a wet noodle flagging in the wind with any substantial weight in the garage.

Did you ever install the xmembers we talked about last year?

oscar

Adding a third axle will NOT increase the amount of weight that the frame and pin box and it's attachment can take. Are you 100% confident (as in lawyer confident) it's strong enough to load up the way you are planning?

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Adding a third axle will NOT increase the amount of weight that the frame and pin box and it's attachment can take. Are you 100% confident (as in lawyer confident) it's strong enough to load up the way you are planning?

If the axles werent so far forward on the 300c this wouldn't be such a issue. So the best remedy is to add a 3rd. He's only doing it for better stability and to reduce the weight on the tandems.

Being that the chassis is the same as bigger trailer (only a few ft shorter) with a 18k GVWR I don't see how there is any safety issues.

Far as the X Members, No I haven't. Life has gotten in the way and I am planning to do this in October.

CrazyCooter

Figured this would come up......

I do not intend to load the trailer up to the axle/tire/springs weight capacity as the chassis is not designed for 21K..... This is being for stability, brakes, and getting some more margin where tires are concerned. I could do hydraulic disk, and 17.5's but the stability would still be questionable as Matt has confirmed.....and my wheelbase is currently 9" shorter than his.

I'm not a lawyer and I have yet to stay at a Holiday Inn Express.......

If the axles werent so far forward on the 300c this wouldn't be such a issue. So the best remedy is to add a 3rd. He's only doing it for better stability and to reduce the weight on the tandems.

Being that the chassis is the same as bigger trailer (only a few ft shorter) with a 18k GVWR I don't see how there is any safety issues.

Far as the X Members, No I haven't. Life has gotten in the way and I am planning to do this in October.

You need to get on that! Best $100 and two hours of work for a nice gain in tracking!

taken

Well, since this thread is already jacked, I'll keep it going. Matt and Tony, I'm really trying to figure something out. We all have essentially the same trailer. However, you guys both have DRW trucks which should tow much better than my SRW. How in the world am I having no sway problems? My truck is even a shorter WB being a Super Cab. With two heavy quads in the back (Outlander 1000XT and Polaris 850 Touring) totaling 2k, I have VERY little sway. And, with only 1 I have NOTHING. This is not just a one time perfect day either. I have over 5k miles on my rig in 7 states and Canada. I just can't figure out what's up every time I read you two both complaining. Not trying to give you a hard time at all. I believe you are both having issues. I'm just trying to figure out how we are so different?

porthole

Retired
Matt and Tony do not have conventional toy hauler 5th wheels.

This is their model. Different animal then the non - Titanium inspired models.

img_00S0S_iXkOSG85Rjg_600x450.jpg

CrazyCooter

Well, since this thread is already jacked, I'll keep it going. Matt and Tony, I'm really trying to figure something out. We all have essentially the same trailer. However, you guys both have DRW trucks which should tow much better than my SRW. How in the world am I having no sway problems? My truck is even a shorter WB being a Super Cab. With two heavy quads in the back (Outlander 1000XT and Polaris 850 Touring) totaling 2k, I have VERY little sway. And, with only 1 I have NOTHING. This is not just a one time perfect day either. I have over 5k miles on my rig in 7 states and Canada. I just can't figure out what's up every time I read you two both complaining. Not trying to give you a hard time at all. I believe you are both having issues. I'm just trying to figure out how we are so different?

I guess we did jack this one pretty good....

I can't say I have a sway problem per se, but it definitely could be better. This is by far the most tail wag I have experienced with any 5th wheel or gooseneck trailer I have ever pulled. I'm also pulling a swivel wheel trailer sometimes that could add between 400-1200lb off the back.

I would say we have equal sway then..... No sway with just two sport ATV's, little worse with the Maverick in there, and above my comfort zone with the Maverick, and swivel with one sport ATV on.