Difference between Big Country and Big Horn???

Howdy from Texas to all! We are back in the market for a new fifth wheel and find ourselves back to Heartland. This may not be such a surprise for most on this forum when quality, price point and design being primary buying factors. Our question in the 2 products mentioned in this topic. We are not sure what the difference is in Big Horn and Big Country. Can you all please help out to differentiate one from the other. Thanks Curtis & Donna

jimtoo

Hi Curtis and Donna,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

You will get lots of answers about this from others who have the units. I think the main thing is inside trim and looks. They are both great units and it's just a matter of choice.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

kowAlski631

Like Jim said, it's a matter of choice. We looked at all the HL trailers as well as the other brands, but our BH has the floorplan we liked above all of them. That was crucial to us as we were focused on going full-time within a year of purchase.

Biggest advise - look at them in person - you'll know yours when you keep comparing others to it with them coming up short.

Good luck in your search.

danemayer

It's getting hard to tell the difference, other than different floorplans.

Go to the Heartlandrvs.com website, select the Big Country, and select the Standards and Options page, print it out, and then do the same for Bighorn. If you go line-by-line you'll find some differences. But you may want to check further on anything that's important to you, because if something's on one and not on the other it doesn't always mean it's not there. If may have just been left off the list.

If you call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030 and identify yourself as a prospective customer, you can talk to the Big Country or Bighorn Brand Manager or one of his people and they should be able to spell out the differences. You may find that many of the differences are subtle; like the way the slideout controls work, or the wiring for satellite receivers. Exterior appearance can sometimes vary quite a bit. Air conditioning ductwork may vary. There are a lot of variances across different floorplans and across brands.

Theresau

We had a 2010 BH and then purchased a 2014 BC. Have a pretty good handle on differences as of May 2013; however, both the BC and BH have changed as of August.

Here are differences we knew of then. Strongly suggest you ask dealer as well:

Besides decor, cabinets, and layouts, BH had the following standards that BC did not at that time: rubber mat in basement storage, individual hydraulic valves, smart light, interior welcome light, non-vessel sink with solid surface cover, furniture had top stitching (however, both BC and BH now have Broyhill furniture), window-framed mirror'd closet doors (BC is just mirror'd), prepped for Winegard satellite - BC is just prepped for satellite - this means that there are 3 prep wires in lieu of 2 in the BC - (I would have ordered this if I'd known about it when we ordered but it was not a hardship when we added the Winegard Traveler), touch remote (BC is a keyfob remote (we rarely use this - again not a hardship)), and high gloss exterior walls. BC had the following that BH did not: 20 gal per hour water heater and painted rear cap.

Another difference is the BC has an 80 amp converter, the BH has a 60 amp.

We ordered the BC with the rubber mat, individual hydraulic valves, high gloss exterior and the non-vessel sink (as well as the BH vinyl as we liked that better than the BC's). We installed a smart light.

Suggest you connect with Heartland on Facebook to see latest exterior colors and graphics, interior decors and layouts. Both BC and BH now come with the forced option of flush windows and upgraded Broyhill furniture.

Our BC is the "gold" edition which is tan colored - as of August, the BC's are now pearl colored - have same graphics.

Best of luck.

Howdy from Texas to all! We are back in the market for a new fifth wheel and find ourselves back to Heartland. This may not be such a surprise for most on this forum when quality, price point and design being primary buying factors. Our question in the 2 products mentioned in this topic. We are not sure what the difference is in Big Horn and Big Country. Can you all please help out to differentiate one from the other. Thanks Curtis & Donna

Last edited:

Theresau

Actually doing that exercise doesn't really work well. We found that the list for the BC had missing standards or description was not clear - had to ask dealer frequently if a standard was included. For example, the BC's bedroom AC is fully integrated with the rear - does not state that but does state that BH's bedroom AC is fully ducted.

It's getting hard to tell the difference, other than different floorplans.

Go to the Heartlandrvs.com website, select the Big Country, and select the Standards and Options page, print it out, and then do the same for Bighorn. If you go line-by-line you'll find some differences. But you may want to check further on anything that's important to you, because if something's on one and not on the other it doesn't always mean it's not there. If may have just been left off the list.

If you call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030 and identify yourself as a prospective customer, you can talk to the Big Country or Bighorn Brand Manager or one of his people and they should be able to spell out the differences. You may find that many of the differences are subtle; like the way the slideout controls work, or the wiring for satellite receivers. Exterior appearance can sometimes vary quite a bit. Air conditioning ductwork may vary. There are a lot of variances across different floorplans and across brands.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Used to be the Big Country had a 10" frame and the Big Horn a 12' frame. Don't know if that has changed.

B

bwwalczak

If anyone ever has questions regarding Big Country, we are VERY accessible here at Heartland. Call anyone on our sales team, including myself: 574-532-1491.

Just to clear up some possible confusion, the frame size is depends on the floorplan. Since most of the Big Countrys are larger triple and quad slides, they will get the 12" frame. Also, Big Country DOES duct our 2nd A/C to the ducts.

Big Country and Bighorn construction is identical. The primary differences are just the look (outside, inside). I am glad to see that someone mentioned Broyhill furniture, but that is not the only thing only in a Big Country. Pearl exterior is standard, along with a few other key eye appeal items.

You cannot go wrong with a Big Country! Thanks again for the post.

BIGBAM

My Wife and I just ordered a BH 3585rl last week. My advise would be to find a Dealer who has both BC and BH. Look at as many as you can, and choose the floorplan you like. We looked alot before we made our decision. Ask lots of questions and take lots of notes. In my opinion both are Quality units. It just comes down to personal preference. Good Luck with your search and have Fun. Can't wait to get our BH 3585. 5 weeks and counting! Lots of Great Folks and Information on this forum. Also check Heartlands Facebook page.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
They are built on the same line by the same workers. Beyond cosmetics, how different do you think they can be?

GOTTOYS

Wow! Just try to think of any other brand where you can ask a question on their forum and get a reply and direct phone # from a Corporate General Manager? I once asked a parts question and received a call from the Heartland Parts Manager the next day. Unsolicited. Way to go Bryan!...Don

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Wow! Just try to think of any other brand where you can ask a question on their forum and get a reply and direct phone # from a Corporate General Manager? I once asked a parts question and received a call from the Heartland Parts Manager the next day. Unsolicited. Way to go Bryan!...Don

Brian is awesome to work with. My DW was very upset with her couch on our new BC and he called and got it changed for us and had it delivered to Elkhart campground for us. Can't same much more good about him and heartland, they are awesome!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Theresau

Bryan,

Would be great if BC standards and options are a bit more clear on the website. As I mentioned earlier, I tried printing off the lists for the BH, BC, and LM for comparison when we were ordering our BC but thought that there may be some missing standards and/or options and began doing research and found such was the case - for example, the fully ducted bedroom AC was a must for us - would not have purchased the BC if the option was not set up fully ducted. The BC is a wonderful coach - we are very happy with it and previously had a BH.

This is how the bedroom AC option is stated on the website for the BC: 2nd A/C 13,500 BTU low profile and wall thermostat in bedroom (additional for heat pump)
And for the BH on the website: 2nd Low Profile 13.5 BTU Fully Ducted Bedroom A/C
Also, both the BH and BC bedroom A/Cs are no longer low profile but full profile - correct? Ours is full profile.

If anyone ever has questions regarding Big Country, we are VERY accessible here at Heartland. Call anyone on our sales team, including myself: 574-532-1491.

Just to clear up some possible confusion, the frame size is depends on the floorplan. Since most of the Big Countrys are larger triple and quad slides, they will get the 12" frame. Also, Big Country DOES duct our 2nd A/C to the ducts.

Big Country and Bighorn construction is identical. The primary differences are just the look (outside, inside). I am glad to see that someone mentioned Broyhill furniture, but that is not the only thing only in a Big Country. Pearl exterior is standard, along with a few other key eye appeal items.

You cannot go wrong with a Big Country! Thanks again for the post.

I must concur and sent Bryan a PM with props to him and Heartland for their customer first approach. This is rare if not unheard of when upper level management go out of their way to be involved in issues good or bad when they really didn't have too. We have decided Heartland is the company we will purchase from and the BC 3251TS is the specific unit we will buy once our current 5ver sells. This decision if all things were equal between our short list (which they aren't) is due to Bryan and Heartlands way of doing business. Thanks to all of you that openly and honestly give answers and share your experiences on this forum. Curtis & Donna

timpas

Great thread and posts. We have been looking, and looking at all brands and had just about decided on a Big Horn, then an Elkridge and have just looked at a Big Country in the last few days and were duly impressed. We decided to check the owners' forum for information. This thread comparing the two has helped tremendously. We've decided on the Big Country 3070RE because of layout. Thanks to all who have helped compare the two.

Gary521

Got a question. The Bighorn 3010 is identical. Why the Big Country vs Bighorn? I have no preference just wondering.

stevenssr

Got a question. The Bighorn 3010 is identical. Why the Big Country vs Bighorn? I have no preference just wondering.

I looked at the 3010RE and the 3070RE and ultimately decided on the 3070RE. For me, it came down to costs and usage. I'm guessing most people look at how they are going to use it and determine if the higher cost BH is worth it to them. I know I love my Big Country and haven't regretted the decision. Thanks Bryan! However, I'm guessing the 3010RE owners love theirs as well. One big happy family!!! Personally, I appreciate Heartland giving us this choice with these two models.