Bike Rack at rear

Eddhuy

Right now the Gateway 3200 has the spare tire mounted to the rear bumper. I don't like it there and want to mount a bike rack in the rear. It looks like the BAL hide-a-spare is inexpensive and easy to use. That will take care of removing the spare.

Now my next question is about leverage and stress on the rear bumper. Do you think that 3 bikes and a bike rack attached to the bumper would be too much with after the spare is removed? I don't want to lose any bikes or bike racks.

priorguy

I'd check with Lippert customer service first. They can answer any questions you have about frame modifications. Including the bumper.

Eddhuy

I have a friend that currently has a motor home with the same ladder as every other trailer I've seen. It even uses the same plastic caps on each step. He uses a ladder bike rack for 2 bikes and has done so through 2 5th wheels and now his motor home over the last dozen years or so with no problem. He says the secret it to use bungee cords to make it so the bikes have no wiggle room at all. He just returned from South Carolina, a cross country trip, with his bikes attached to his ladder. I think I will also go this way.