Winterizing help

mzcummins

Going to winterize the sd3400qb with rv antifreeze today, been watching some videos and read the pdf on here but have some questions still.

Do you have to winterize the black tank flush, if so, how?
I also read to drain the tanks before you winterize but do you have to drain them after?
I believe this unit has the atwood hw because there is no anode rod, is it ok to leave the little bit of water in that stays in after you pull the plug?

Thanks, matt

ISent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Going to winterize the sd3400qb with rv antifreeze today, been watching some videos and read the pdf on here but have some questions still.

Do you have to winterize the black tank flush, if so, how?
I also read to drain the tanks before you winterize but do you have to drain them after?
I believe this unit has the atwood hw because there is no anode rod, is it ok to leave the little bit of water in that stays in after you pull the plug?

Thanks, matt

ISent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Adding antifreeze to the tank flush line will require an external pump. You can use air pressure to blow the line clear and that should suffice. In reality, all I've done is to press the check valve button at the inlet and let the water drain out from the line to the anti-siphon valve. The water between the valve and the tank will gravity drain into the tank.

Yes, drain the tanks and flush the black tank before you winterize. Do not drain them after you've completed your winterizing since you want some antifreeze to remain in them. Don't forget to pour some antifreeze into each drain to make sure the P-traps are covered. Also, the toilet bowl should be left with some antifreeze in it. In the spring, you can run fresh water through the system to push the antifreeze into the tanks and dump it when you get to a dump station or CG sewer hookup.

Once you've drained the water heater, the small amount of water left should not be a problem, so long as you leave the plug loose (or out). Another trick to drain the residual water out is to take a wet rag and stuff some of it into the tank and let it hang. That will draw the water out. It is not necessary to put antifreeze into the water heater.