World's First Triple Axle 300C?

taken

Hey Tony, I see you mentioned 8D batteries. I'm still on my cheapo Interstate group 24 that came with the rig paired with my extra cheapo Walmart special group 24 from my last rig. They are tired but last the night with the heat on and have enough juice to start the gen in the morning. It's only a matter of time though. Anyways, I was looking at replacing them with a single 8D Lifeline. http://www.lifelinebatteries.com/rvflyer.php?id=8 Is the floor of the battery compartment strong enough for this monster? Lifeline says it's 156 lbs... Thoughts?

CrazyCooter

I just layed down a carpeted piece of 1/2" plywood and all has been fine. If I was going to put all three of mine in the center of the compartment, I would have added something to stiffen it up a bit. The size of the 8D's is a nice fit for the front compartment. Check on the price per Ah of GC2's too. I found the Deka AGM 8D's to be 20% cheaper and less wiring than the same brand GC2's.

If you really want some killer batteries, look into the LiFePo4 cells. If you are a handy guy, you could build your own instead of paying $2K+ for a smallish single battery.

Hopefully the arc the hitch travels on will cancel out the truck's suspension movement when it loads it down. I noticed it was next to impossible to set it perfectly even with mine.

taken

OK Tony, got er done. Posted a few pics of my scale setup. Wasn't pretty but got the job done. Weight with tanks and garage empty was a meager 2825lbs! I always read that manufacturer posted dry weights we very low as they didn't take into account any options. Well, with my second ac, 5500 Onan, two batteries, full propane, safe and wardrobe I'm still 75lbs under dry weight. I'll take it. It will help keep the IRV2 weight police at bay too with my silly little SRW 350...

IMG_1593.jpgIMG_1596.jpg

CrazyCooter

Good to know where you stand!

Kind of light considering the gvw don't you think? Could explain the tail wagging symptom some of us have felt.....

taken

Yes, I was VERY surprised considering it's against the norm, the nose has a huge overhang, and I've added so much weight to the front of the rig. How much weight to you think my garage loading takes off the pin? I know on your new WB you thought 1000 subtracted 600. How about on the original setup like I have? It def tows straighter with the garage empty, but I don't have the perceivable sway Matt complains about. Maybe I'm just blissfully ignorant of it... :cool:

CrazyCooter

I was backwards on my math for the ratio! I figured 380lb per 1000lb loaded center in the garage with my wheelbase. Your wheelbase is at least 16" shorter so it should be a tad more.....closer to 400-410? Hard to calculate without a wheelbase measurement.

The sway mine experienced wasn't out of control or anything, but it reacted more like a pull trailer in the wind than a 5er. Everyone told me how much more stable a 5er was, so I had higher expectations. With the garage empty is mine was fine too, but load it up with 1-1200lb and it got irritating.

taken

I was backwards on my math for the ratio! I figured 380lb per 1000lb loaded center in the garage with my wheelbase. Your wheelbase is at least 16" shorter so it should be a tad more.....closer to 400-410? Hard to calculate without a wheelbase measurement.

The sway mine experienced wasn't out of control or anything, but it reacted more like a pull trailer in the wind than a 5er. Everyone told me how much more stable a 5er was, so I had higher expectations. With the garage empty is mine was fine too, but load it up with 1-1200lb and it got irritating.

We've got 2k in the garage with either the road bikes or the two quads so if your math is right, I'm thinking 800 lbs off the pin loaded. Seems about right and yes, about as squirrely as our 36' TT (when garage is loaded) that we replaced. Maybe I'm just used to it.