2013 Ram 3500 factory 5th wheel prep kit adapter.

alex00

The install shouldn't be too bad if I go that route. I'd definitely do it myself.

Sent by smoke signals using Tapatalk for campfires 4

DesertThumper

The install shouldn't be too bad if I go that route. I'd definitely do it myself.

20130916_151128.jpg
If you end up buying an air system kit, make sure you get some "Dot Approved" air connectors. Trust me, save your labor time. Don't use the default fittings, it's a hit or miss with air leaks. The air lines seem fine with the kit.
20130905_204208.jpg
This is the kit I bought for the rig. As far as the air tire fill ups, I use a different source but they have an upgraded version from this one that have a stronger HP on the pump side.

20130903_163035.jpg
The fittings that attached to the bags are also junk. I bought the "DOT Approved" 90 degree fittings as well. I know it's a long laundry list but just trying to save you time so you can reduce your snags during your installation. I got all my fittings from Napa Auto Parts.

DesertThumper

Alex,

There is a link below that speaks about the air suspension available for the 2014 models. Within the link, there are two contact info to your right for questions.

I wanted to probe some fun questions out loud from Nick from "Media Chrysler Press". I ask if the 2013 and 2014 have any differences from top to bottom. He said nope. Could I have the dealership install the factory air suspension on my current rig? No you can't due to numerous items that need to be setup while the truck is being assembled. It would be to labor intensive. OK.... Now the estimated facts about when the air suspension will be available when ordering a new truck with the air suspension for the rear, he said the towards the end of 1st quarter but most likely the 2nd quarter of 2014 with a possibility of even a later date.

You probably done your research Alex, thought I would add this anyways in case anyone else was curious. Below is the link and contact numbers.

http://media.chrysler.com/newsrelease.do?id=14487&mid=71

alex00

Thanks for that link. It confirms what I'd heard about the softer springs. I'm not too keen on it being a 2nd Q of 2014 release. That screams March or April at the soonest.

bwc1950

Does anyone know why you cannot order the RAM 3500 5th/Goose prep kit with the Rambox Cargo Management option? I've read posts on other sites mentioning turning radius but had no better explanation.

alex00

Does anyone know why you cannot order the RAM 3500 5th/Goose prep kit with the Rambox Cargo Management option? I've read posts on other sites mentioning turning radius but had no better explanation.

I'm not positive but it could be a conflict between the bed height/width with the Ram box vs what clearance you'd need to clear a fifth wheel. If you're using the build and price feature on the Ram website just be aware they block certain options/combos depending on factory build schedules. Right now it won't let you build a dually Laramie with anything but a Black interior. That may be the same thing happening on the Ram box fifth wheel combo.

DesertThumper

Alex, here are more fun pics for you to check out how I did my setup.
20131129_164256.jpgLeft rear underneath the bed pass the mud flaps.
20131129_164427.jpg20131129_164433.jpgLeft & Right Firestone Air Bags. 30 minute install for both. It's the air lines and running them into the cab that takes time.
20131129_164334.jpgThe lest is my air compressor tank gauge and right handles the air bags. Globe box very easy to remove with one hinge on the right then squeeze both sides of the box inwards. There are a few accessory holes to feed wires or air lines into from the bottom. Knock it out with a big screw driver.
20131129_164224.jpg2.5 Gallon Tank. I will end up relocating my air tank this spring underneath the passenger side with a custom bracket for it to brace the frame with long bolts and nuts including an air line fitting quick connect near the side step underneath.
20130905_185322.jpgI used the small blank panel near your headlight knob for my main kill switch and air horn button.

emm4273610re

I like the glove box install idea. Are those bags a non drill install? The bags I have now I had to drill the frame and install the brackets so the bag is over the spring, not the axle tube like you have in the picture. I too am looking at a 14 Ram not sure if I want to wait for the factory air or not. I have a 2,300 pin weight and prefer a level ride. Thanks.

DesertThumper

I like the glove box install idea. Are those bags a non drill install? The bags I have now I had to drill the frame and install the brackets so the bag is over the spring, not the axle tube like you have in the picture. I too am looking at a 14 Ram not sure if I want to wait for the factory air or not. I have a 2,300 pin weight and prefer a level ride. Thanks.
The ride rite kit is a no drill install. Straight forward and easy to install overall. Have a game plan how you want it setup which will take the majority of your time laying it out. The bags help quite a bit with bottoming out, headlights from blinding on coming traffic and highway safety and stability overall.

ARCliz

purchased new 2013 ram 3500 daully in nov,13. retiring in May ,14. plan to be a travler but have a lot to learn. thanks to one and all for lots of IMPORTANT info!!! just getting into this so any and all info & direction is welcome. still working on 5th wheel hicth,have pullrite 4400 slider & all attchments to factory hookup except MOPAR frame parts / been on order w/ dealer since Jan - still waiting!! need dimensions for holes in bed / size(diameter) and locations. ALso have followed air ride tips , want to all similar items to our truck b4 I'm loaded. would like air compessor / air tank , auto level air bags and aux air spigot. have gotten lots of ideas from all the wonderful posts . please keep the info coming!!!! THANKS

alex00

purchased new 2013 ram 3500 daully in nov,13. retiring in May ,14. plan to be a travler but have a lot to learn. thanks to one and all for lots of IMPORTANT info!!! just getting into this so any and all info & direction is welcome. still working on 5th wheel hicth,have pullrite 4400 slider & all attchments to factory hookup except MOPAR frame parts / been on order w/ dealer since Jan - still waiting!! need dimensions for holes in bed / size(diameter) and locations. ALso have followed air ride tips , want to all similar items to our truck b4 I'm loaded. would like air compessor / air tank , auto level air bags and aux air spigot. have gotten lots of ideas from all the wonderful posts . please keep the info coming!!!! THANKS

The Reese 30154 kit is identical to the Ram kit (Reese makes the part for Ram). The only difference between the two is the sticker that says Ram or Reese and the Reese is $200 cheaper.

azbigfoot

I don't think the Pullrite 4400 will work with the picture frame. You should give Pullrite folks a call but I don't believe the 4400 has industry standard rails. Pretty much any hitch that mounts to industry standard rails will fit onto the picture frame. A problem with the picture frame is it raises the hitch up off the bed several inches. Make sure you get a hitch that has an adjustable height. You might look into the B&W hitch that fits Dodge OEM pucks for the factory trailer prep. Then you don't need to buy the picture frame. Another advantage might be removal of the B&W hitch when you want to use the truckbed. My pullrite is so heavy I'd never be able to get it out by myself. Here's the link to the B&W hitch http://www.turnoverball.com/products/rvhitch/companion-oem-5th-wheel-hitch-ram

ARCliz

AZbigfoot , thanks for info. With 4400 slider i have #4409 ISR adapter to mount on REESE #30154 bed adapter to RAM OEM frame pucks , I been told that this will work !! ( I hope it does , lots of METAL ) I know what you mean by WEIGHT!! at least the rear of the truck won't get blown around. I still need INFO on holes in bed ( size & dimensions ) Still trying to piece together air lift ( air ride ) system. any info appreciated

alex00

AZbigfoot , thanks for info. With 4400 slider i have #4409 ISR adapter to mount on REESE #30154 bed adapter to RAM OEM frame pucks , I been told that this will work !! ( I hope it does , lots of METAL ) I know what you mean by WEIGHT!! at least the rear of the truck won't get blown around. I still need INFO on holes in bed ( size & dimensions ) Still trying to piece together air lift ( air ride ) system. any info appreciated

What would you like to know about hole sizes? I can go measure if you like. I have a long bed, so I can measure from the tailgate side if you like. Let me know what you need.

This is the Ride Rite kit I installed. Very easy, and so far I'm very happy with it. The folks in that link gave me 20% off when I called. I was really happy with them, and would order from them in the future. There are a few other manufacturers, like PacBrake, but I couldn't find major differences between the kits. I went withe the Viair constant duty kit and so far am really happy with it. I made this thread with some install pics. I assume you are in a Mega cab, so your install may differ with the shorter bed.

ARCliz

GOOD MORNING everone !!! Finally received frame parts from MOPAR ! Now if the weather would break I could get under the truck & install them need center points in bed to hole saw pin locations. trim rings measure 3.5 " in dia. IF some one could provide some centers that would be great. maybe from rear lip of bed , outside edge of box ( at floor level ) , centers left to right , and centers diagonally to check squareness . And on another subject, have ordered air lift system from Suspension Connection , UT. In package they included Quick Shot a/comp & tank ! would Viair be a better choice?? seems that is what everyone is installing ! can't say it enough , THANKS one & all for info,pics,advice . ps someday I will figure out how to add a header at the bottom !!???

Hainebd

I just read this post and thought the info I need was here but no. What is the chance that the factory 5th wheel prep kit can be installed after purchase? What is/are the part numbers? Right now I am going with BW goose and the companion 5th. I have A 2014 3500. Love this truck. Not as much as my Silverado 1500 but close. 1500 rode nicer. Pulling 10,000 pounds drove gas mileage down to 10 mpg so I went to a bigger truck with cummins. Should pull fine but I also have 5th wheel camper I would like to camp in. Help please!

emm4273610re

Not sure of the part numbers Hainebd, however I know someone who looked into having it done on his new Ram 2500. With the cost of the added labor on top off the kit he went with a standard rail kit from Reese. Sorry not much help. Call around and ask, just make sure they quote you for the correct set up.

Hainebd

Labor is free. If I had one puck I could fabricate the other three. I have even asked my son to take one off of his 2014 3500 ram but he is not happy pulling his $73,000 truck apart. He will never use cause truck is lifted 9". I am going with the B&w goose and companion 5th. One hole in bed and mounting in done. Thanks for the info and thoughts.